hearing aids work for profound loss?

yes and no. I have a starkey series 9 and I hate it with a passion. I do not feel starkey is a good product. I'm severe to profound oral only and I have difficulty understanding speech with the starkey. I do not recommend them. I know others love them but I'd steer clear of them.

yes and no. I have a starkey series 9 and I hate it with a passion. I do not feel starkey is a good product. I'm severe to profound oral only and I have difficulty understanding speech with the starkey. I do not recommend them. I know others love them but I'd steer clear of them.

I wore Starkey for the majority of my life. When my analogs broke, I went with what I knew and paid for the $2k entry level. Biggest mistake of my life. Starkey just makes horrible digitals - I wished I saved my money, went to my current audiologist and chose Widex from the beginning. Everything with Starkey sounded metallic, where Widex was great right out of the box. As digitals go...Starkey is getting left behind in the dust...there are much better hearing aids to choose from now.

Laura

Something to keep in mind. Considering the severity of your father's loss and the low speech comprehension, hearing aids will help but they will by no means fix. He will struggle to understand what is being said although at least now he will know something is being said. He needs to understand that he will continue to work at understanding what is being said. He needs to realize that you just can't pop these things in and all your troubles are gone.
He also needs to understand that there will be an adjustment period. His brain has adapted to silence so when his brain will need to readapt to sound. So when he puts the aids in it will seem like the whole world is screaming at him. I mention this because this effect causes a lot of people to stop wearing their aids. They say they are too loud. It takes time but the brain will adjust. It's ok to take the aids out periodically at the beginning to give yourself a break. The advice i was given many years ago was to first wear the aids in a quiet room. I mean you have to get used to wearing the aids at the beginning. The bottom line is your dad will need to be patient at the beginning and allow himself to adjust. If he's not that type of person the aids will end up in a drawer someplace with Dad giving a bunch of excuses as to why he doesn't wear them. And that's way too much money to spend for that to happen. Also it's not unusual to revisit the audiologist numerous times for adjustments. This should all be included in the original cost of the aids.

Back