Stealerships

"American" as GM, Chrysler ,Ford assembly in Canada, Mexico, and other. So don't feels like TRUE American as 100% pure. That's why they got recalls too much.

Big changes than in 1970's. Newer Fiat 500 vehicles are imported from Mexico (according to VIN), they are still popular in SoCal, you know Asian vehicles manufactures in North Amercia, still have large recalls same as other imported vehicles.

The word "As-Is" on the stick is meaning no warranty for any defective parts/mechanicals. You signed a contract of "As-Is" used car, that means you are responsible for any repairs expense. Sorry to hear your car.
If replying to me, not true, they falsified and inspection.

Before any further comments, Are you a Licensed Inspector? Would you falsely pass a car to make a sale? The salesman wrote on the paper service engine light on, change oil to turn light off.
Now, we all know new cars come with oil level and mileage dohickies, so an oil change will just pop up a light saying change oil ( had it in our van and my truck ) service engine light comes on for other shit not an oil change.
So the mechanics or the inspector erased the code to turn the light off until the code popped it back on which happened the next day whe we had it checked and it said bad EGR valve.

So, would you erase a code, under a federal regulation to make a sale? They did and got busted.

We do have a warranty but nothing is going on it, this is all covered by the dealership as they are at fault.

Now do you know the consequences for that if you are an Inspector?
or are you playing Mr. Know it all or Blowing smoke to uranus?

Nothing to do with me, its all the cars both gm and jap.. and it was recent.
and I really dont give a flying rats ass, because every car has issues.
What Im getting at with my post is the dealership lying, and thats with all of them (maybe even you) the inspectors... its illegal for them to pass anything that doesnt fall in the guidelines....FEDERALLY Speaking and Im sure you know that and Im sure you know the consequences of doing that....
Do you beg to differ on that subject ? If so, why do you think so many shops lost their licenses to inspect and others got so tight as to not passing a vehicle on the utmost simplest things ( like just the very tip of the wiper blade torn (like 1/8 inch tear) the shops here will NOT pass any windshields with any cracks in them regardless how small ( because some were letting them slide with cracks in the viewing areas) Now they have to take and submit pictures with the VIN and whatever else before the inspection stickers are issued electronically... It is just outrageous and bulldoublehockeysticks.... Getting to the point of turning into little Italy here which would probly be better, where if your car is wrecked or damaged in any ways it has to be completely fixed before driven on the roads or be impounded because there is a lot of pieces of crap on the road that shouldnt be.... and Im sure youve seen your share of that.

GM's QA inspection fault cause too much recalls. I feels like.

Hmm Clear you dont know me enough. I worked GM/Chrysler dealership for almost year and I feels sad that some of lube tech skipped brake lining,tire pressure, check oil level, etc. ME? HELL NO! I just do for a job to keeps customer happy.

I saw brand new Chevy Equinox's crankshaft bearing got purple mean burn out so bad and only 4,000 miles on it. Other times, I saw Chevy cruze's transmission valve body got failed and only 7,000 miles on it. That's how I feels avoid from GM for a while.

You said new technology cause more problem? Depend which one u talked about. Like ignition key is very old technology that GM still use it and it got tons recalls. Some newer cars use engine start button and I don't hear any problem so far.

Old technology as windows crank that it have famous problem and pain in ass to replace whole unit. (I do there few times) but power window is much simple and easy to repair. It's rare problem.

Last edited:
Big changes than in 1970's. Newer Fiat 500 vehicles are imported from Mexico (according to VIN), they are still popular in SoCal, you know Asian vehicles manufactures in North Amercia, still have large recalls same as other imported vehicles.

That's right and too many people still avoid from Asian vehicles because some of them are not made in USA and buy GM/Chrysler/Ford because they THINK they MADE in USA. :roll:

Asian vehicles manufactures in North America? NOT ALL of them. Our Mazda still made in Japan and my old Subaru Impreza made in Japan. Yes, I always enjoy to read VIN before buy a vehicles.

Some of them as Honda, Subaru Forester, Toyota, etc made in USA.

Does not apply to "As-Is" used vehicles I think.
Right, that's why it's recommended to have a mechanic to check it before purchasing. I learned from TV court shows. No difference from buying an old house. Hire an inspector before buying it.

Right, that's why it's recommended to have a mechanic to check it before purchasing. I learned from TV court shows. No difference from buying an old house. Hire an inspector before buying it.

It didn't take TV court shows for me to learn that. My dad sold cars so I grew up with contacts in the business. The only cars I ever bought that I did not have someone other than the seller look are were the one that had been a company car that I as bookkeeper had seen every bill we ever paid regarding it and the one and only NEW car I ever bought from a dealership that I had enough contact with to trust (it turned out well).

If replying to me, not true, they falsified and inspection.

Before any further comments, Are you a Licensed Inspector? Would you falsely pass a car to make a sale? The salesman wrote on the paper service engine light on, change oil to turn light off.
Now, we all know new cars come with oil level and mileage dohickies, so an oil change will just pop up a light saying change oil ( had it in our van and my truck ) service engine light comes on for other shit not an oil change.
So the mechanics or the inspector erased the code to turn the light off until the code popped it back on which happened the next day whe we had it checked and it said bad EGR valve.

So, would you erase a code, under a federal regulation to make a sale? They did and got busted.

We do have a warranty but nothing is going on it, this is all covered by the dealership as they are at fault.

Now do you know the consequences for that if you are an Inspector?
or are you playing Mr. Know it all or Blowing smoke to uranus?

In California, the seller such as new/used car dealer or private party, is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of sale. Smog certification are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.
If someone bought "As-Is" used car from a dealer, notice Check Engine light came on in just purchased it in few days or few weeks. What to do? I recommend you to contact Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) office to question the rep of the BAR office, they will help you. They (BAR) will rise their eyebrows, what's up with seller and smog shop for fraud.. Big trouble for smog inspector or smog owner either...

I, licensed California smog inspector, do not inspect front ends like ball joints or lights etc. I do inspect the tire wears for safety concern on the dyno operation.

In California, the seller such as new/used car dealer or private party, is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of sale. Smog certification are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.
If someone bought "As-Is" used car from a dealer, notice Check Engine light came on in just purchased it in few days or few weeks. What to do? I recommend you to contact Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) office to question the rep of the BAR office, they will help you. They (BAR) will rise their eyebrows, what's up with seller and smog shop for fraud.. Big trouble for smog inspector or smog owner either...

There are bound to be different agencies etc. from state to state.

We have you, deafsmogtech, in California and sonocativo in Missouri. So, I am not surprised you two are talking about different ways to handle an issue.

Right, that's why it's recommended to have a mechanic to check it before purchasing. I learned from TV court shows. No difference from buying an old house. Hire an inspector before buying it.[/QUOTE

Deafies ask me same thing, I told them, I can not hear the noises from the engine or something but I advise them about recently smog certificate before they buy used car.

Right, that's why it's recommended to have a mechanic to check it before purchasing. I learned from TV court shows. No difference from buying an old house. Hire an inspector before buying it.[/QUOTE

Deafies ask me same thing, I told them, I can not hear the noises from the engine or something but I advise them about recently smog certificate before they buy used car.

Be aware the above advice applies where deafsmogtech is but there are places, like where I live in Southern Illinois, where there is NOT such a thing as a "recent smog certificate".

Be aware the above advice applies where deafsmogtech is but there are places, like where I live in Southern Illinois, where there is NOT such a thing as a "recent smog certificate".

Correct and Buying houses he is wrong also.
You can sue a previous owner who doesn't disclose an issue/problem that was knowingly omitted up to 10 years after purchase. it can be a new home vs contractor, a used home vs previous seller(s)
The only eception is bank foreclosures/repos because they sell them with a clause in the contracts of "unknown conditions" when a previous owner knows their home and cannot use that clause. I have bought and sold houses, flipping them, and my current home was my first total gut rehab.
If I am ever to sell this house, I am 100% liable to disclose everything from new screws to dust in this house.

Do you remember me saying and showing pictures of the wiring that had nails driven through it, a fire hazard? Well, if I bought this house from an "owner" there would have been some liability issues that they would have been paying for as it was hidden and found during the gutting luckily... But because it was a vandalized foreclosure, I was SOL on the issue and so now, everything is new and safe in this house. I know every nook and cranny here, before I drive a nail/screw I know approximately where every wire and pipe is ran in the walls/floor.

Buying a used car, if you can prove and have proof the dealership lied, which we do its a different story under FEDERAL guidelines. From a small car lot, those little shady places, they will just change ownership or join LLC...ect... to avoid dealing with or being prosecuted.

Dig a little deeper, you will find more info and your rights as a consumer under the federal laws on certain things, Why do you think the Highway patrol is investigating them now?

Correct and Buying houses he is wrong also.
You can sue a previous owner who doesn't disclose an issue/problem that was knowingly omitted up to 10 years after purchase. it can be a new home vs contractor, a used home vs previous seller(s)
The only eception is bank foreclosures/repos because they sell them with a clause in the contracts of "unknown conditions" when a previous owner knows their home and cannot use that clause. I have bought and sold houses, flipping them, and my current home was my first total gut rehab.
If I am ever to sell this house, I am 100% liable to disclose everything from new screws to dust in this house.

Do you remember me saying and showing pictures of the wiring that had nails driven through it, a fire hazard? Well, if I bought this house from an "owner" there would have been some liability issues that they would have been paying for as it was hidden and found during the gutting luckily... But because it was a vandalized foreclosure, I was SOL on the issue and so now, everything is new and safe in this house. I know every nook and cranny here, before I drive a nail/screw I know approximately where every wire and pipe is ran in the walls/floor.

Buying a used car, if you can prove and have proof the dealership lied, which we do its a different story under FEDERAL guidelines. From a small car lot, those little shady places, they will just change ownership or join LLC...ect... to avoid dealing with or being prosecuted.

Dig a little deeper, you will find more info and your rights as a consumer under the federal laws on certain things, Why do you think the Highway patrol is investigating them now?
I won't argue with you as long as you buy an used car from a dealership which is required to be honest with you. I was talking about an "As Is" car from a private seller. If you buy one from a private seller, it's not his/her problem after you buy it. If you sue a private seller, you will lose because you didn't hire a mechanic to inspect it beforehand. For example, you hire a mechanic and he finds that the car needs a new axle, or whatever, then you negotiate with the seller to lower the price. No difference from buying an old house, hire an inspector so when s/he finds that it needs a new foundation or there's molds, then negotiate with the seller. If you don't hire an inspector and go ahead to buy an old house, it's not the seller's problem. It's called buyer's remorse. You can't make the house seller pay for repairs after you buy it. In other words, you can't make the private seller pay for repairs after you buy the car. Usually the dealership sells the used cars with limited warranty (mostly 90 days) unless the car's factory warranty is still valid.

I won't argue with you as long as you buy an used car from a dealership which is required to be honest with you. I was talking about an "As Is" car from a private seller. If you buy one from a private seller, it's not his/her problem after you buy it. If you sue a private seller, you will lose because you didn't hire a mechanic to inspect it beforehand. For example, you hire a mechanic and he finds that the car needs a new axle, or whatever, then you negotiate with the seller to lower the price. No difference from buying an old house, hire an inspector so when s/he finds that it needs a new foundation or there's molds, then negotiate with the seller. If you don't hire an inspector and go ahead to buy an old house, it's not the seller's problem. It's called buyer's remorse. You can't make the house seller pay for repairs after you buy it. In other words, you can't make the private seller pay for repairs after you buy the car. Usually the dealership sells the used cars with limited warranty (mostly 90 days) unless the car's factory warranty is still valid.

I don't know what has happened to the quote system here but what looked like a quote from me by Crazy Paul was actually something that sonocativo wrote!

Correct, dealerships and private parties are different as well as the small lots. Dealerships are bound under certain laws where individuals are as-is/where-is.

Just watch out for those sharks and little sneaks, everyone is out to make a penny especially if it benefits them... They will lie through their teeth to your face and THOSE are the people I hate the most. Just be honest, why lie and screw yourself in the end.

Yes, u right. Not all states alone, depending on state's regulation on vehicle resale or transfer. I know California emission law on resale vehicles but not 100% because I am not familiar with big semi trucks or heavy duty vehicles.

Yes, u right. Not all states alone, depending on state's regulation on vehicle resale or transfer. I know California emission law on resale vehicles but not 100% because I am not familiar with big semi trucks or heavy duty vehicles.
I believe people can sell their cars with expired smog cert. A buyer is responsible to have it passed before registering it.

I believe people can sell their cars with expired smog cert. A buyer is responsible to have it passed before registering it.

Yep, most used car dealer pay smog cert when the vehicle is sold. Smog certificates in California, are good for 90 days.

Back