Granny's taking computer classes ;)

I feel better since my advisor replied to my email.

He did some figuring and substituting, and determined that I need only four more courses after all.

What I have left to take:

Database
Advanced Microcomputer Apps
Systems and Procedures
Active Server Pages OR PHP Programming

I plan to take two this fall, and two in the spring. It will depend on the availability of the classes.

The last grade that I was waiting for was from my computer forensics instructor for my portfolio project (I was sweating that one). He posted my grade, and sent me this comment:

"Wow! By far, one of the best portfolios I've graded.

Thank you!"

I was shocked! (Not sure why he would be thanking me.) :lol:

So, the final grades are in from both classes. I got A in each! Whew!

Now, I can relax for about three weeks. Then comes the struggle for finding available classes. Ugh!

The last grade that I was waiting for was from my computer forensics instructor for my portfolio project (I was sweating that one). He posted my grade, and sent me this comment:

"Wow! By far, one of the best portfolios I've graded.

Thank you!"

I was shocked! (Not sure why he would be thanking me.) :lol:

So, the final grades are in from both classes. I got A in each! Whew!

Now, I can relax for about three weeks. Then comes the struggle for finding available classes. Ugh!

I guess he enjoyed your portfolio project a lot. You should feel real good about this.

I guess he enjoyed your portfolio project a lot. You should feel real good about this.
I guess he did. It was 88 pages of computer screen shots, technical reports, and data sheets--not exactly entertaining. :lol:

I feel good about it, not just for myself but for all "senior citizen" women who can hold their own with the "youngsters" in the digital world, or any endeavor.

I guess he did. It was 88 pages of computer screen shots, technical reports, and data sheets--not exactly entertaining. :lol:

I feel good about it, not just for myself but for all "senior citizen" women who can hold their own with the "youngsters" in the digital world, or any endeavor.

I know what you mean I was the oldest person in most of my classes in college and when we had to write our interpretive of a short story and this was the first one for our class my teacher started to read mine. I almost fell out of chair ! I had not been in school for 27 years and my teacher picked my paper. My teacher wrote my paper powerful and forceful , I would had gotten an A+ if my grammar and spelling where better. Dyslexia stink , I had all the letters but in the wrong place. :roll:

The last two days have been up and down for me.

Background:

For the program that I'm in (online, Senior Citizen free tuition), I can register only the first day of class, so at a few minutes after midnight I get on my computer and start registering. Starting this semester, the cut off for online registration is 6:30 a.m. So, I have only that 6 ½ -hour window of opportunity.

This morning (after midnight) I tried to register. The WebAdvisor (online registration service) was down. Kaput! There was no way I could register online, and obviously no one was going to be at the campus for live registration during that time. WebAdvisor didn't come back online until after the 6:30 a.m. deadline cutoff.

I emailed my advisor and he said that I would have to wait until next semester to try again. The course I need isn't offered next semester, plus I would possibly run into the same problem again. I sent him a very discouraged reply.

I was extremely upset. My courses and goal of graduation have been something that have given me daily goals to keep going mentally. If I thought that I could never finish those last four classes to graduate, I would get another step closer to feeling like a quitter.

A miracle happened!

My advisor emailed me back and told me that he went to the Dean and got me into the class! I'm so blessed!

He did also warn me that it's a very difficult class. I feel obligated to do well in it since he went to bat for me. I just have to learn how to deal with stress. :)

My class will be in PHP programming. This is the description:

"This course is an introduction to the PHP programming language and will cover topics related to the syntax of PHP language and how PHP can be used to design and develop dynamic, database-driven web pages."

It's a required course, so I have to take and pass it, like it or lump it. :lol: (Programming is not my speciality.)

If anyone has some encouragement for me about PHP, I'll take it. :)

Well, I squeaked by the PHP course. Whew!

This week I started my course in MS Project (Advanced Microcomputer Apps).

I used MS Project in my IT Project Management class. You will do fine.

One of my pet-peeves is, and I complained about this in a survey from my college, is they don't teach Outlook. In the working world Outlook is an very important tool and IMHO really needs to be taught in Advanced Microsoft Apps.

One of my pet-peeves is, and I complained about this in a survey from my college, is they don't teach Outlook. In the working world Outlook is an very important tool and IMHO really needs to be taught in Advanced Microsoft Apps.
Agreed. Email in general is the primary way of communicating in businesses. Whether Outlook, or Office365, email knowledge would be helpful in getting students prepared for what's out there.

If i walk through the building i work at, everyone has dual monitors, with one entire monitor dedicated to just Outlook.

I use gmail but I told to ditch it and use 'app inbox it supposed to filter all crap out but I use DoNOTTrackMe which tracked over 946.000 in last 3 weeks...In dilemma do I ditch the lot and use 'App inbox'..it invite only at present

I use gmail but I told to ditch it and use 'app inbox it supposed to filter all crap out but I use DoNOTTrackMe which tracked over 946.000 in last 3 weeks...In dilemma do I ditch the lot and use 'App inbox'..it invite only at present
I need to ask a few questions first.

Who told you to ditch gmail, and for what reason? That is, were you having problems with gmail?

Were you "invited" to make this change by an anonymous email or by a pop-up? Or was the suggestion made by a trusted person you know?

Sorry to be so inquisitive but that's part of the troubleshooting process. :)

If you want, we can also share your question in a thread by itself under computers at AD that might get more help from people who have experienced the same problem. It's up to you.

Caz:

It looks like DoNotTrackMe has become Blur, and has made recent changes that not every user is happy about. Is that what happened to you? Were you happy with it before the changes?

Since it is an add-on, you can ditch the DNTM add-on without ditching your gmail.

I think so Reb,i looked at it and it stated Blur..i don't know if I was happy or not did not understand it...my credit card company contacted me because I was being tracked and fiddled of £127 and would been fiddled out of more because DONOTTRACK ME was flagged up and people who fiddle me were trying every hour for over 24hours credit card declined to pay.
blur do credit card shop on net but got impression it American only but from what I understand good idea but they want all your bank details I just uncomfortable

you cant win...all these things bit beyond me but when you been fleeced out quite a lot of money I want get it right...
first time I ever bought anything on net and this happened

I think so Reb,i looked at it and it stated Blur..i don't know if I was happy or not did not understand it...my credit card company contacted me because I was being tracked and fiddled of £127 and would been fiddled out of more because DONOTTRACK ME was flagged up and people who fiddle me were trying every hour for over 24hours credit card declined to pay.
blur do credit card shop on net but got impression it American only but from what I understand good idea but they want all your bank details I just uncomfortable
I read users' online reviews of DNTM/Blur, and some seem to love it and some seem to hate it. There doesn't seem to be a consistent opinion of the add-on.

It does seem to be an international service.

I've never used it myself, so I can't give an honest opinion about it. In general, I would say if you aren't comfortable with an on-line service or product, don't use it.

Did your credit card company get back all your money for you? Did the card company say that DNTM was the reason for the theft?

It's kind of hard to analyze this situation without a complete chronology of exactly what happened, and who said or did each thing. I don't want you to share too much in public here though.

I would suggest get everything straight with your credit card company and the issuing bank first. That is, get your money back, cancel the problem card, and get a new card issued.

If you are uncomfortable with DNTM, then get rid of it.

You can keep your gmail account but you might want to set up a second "throw away" account that you can use for shopping only. That is, keep your personal email and your shopping email separate. That way, if for some reason you have to later close the shopping email, you won't lose contact with your family and friends.

I'm going to start a general thread about DNTM at AD, and let's see what happens. (I won't mention your name.)

Got my final project grade: "A--Wow! Outstanding!!" (I guess the instructor liked it, heh, heh.) :lol:

Two more courses to go.

This makes up for my terrible grades for the PHP class. :lol:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 8.31.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 8.31.19 PM.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 9
Was bored and this caught my eye-- so read through it- Awesome of you to share your journey with your classes and school (and giving me hope lol).

Especially loved that you still have your plastic guide for flow charts! I took COBOL classes in the late 90s and used one. Still have mine too! (also thought it was cool you got to take VB.. I love working with that...)

Was bored and this caught my eye-- so read through it- Awesome of you to share your journey with your classes and school (and giving me hope lol).

Especially loved that you still have your plastic guide for flow charts! I took COBOL classes in the late 90s and used one. Still have mine too! (also thought it was cool you got to take VB.. I love working with that...)

are you granny?if I had guess age would said 30's:giggle:..i granny and sitting here reading about computer which may aswell be in Chinese in fact some is.With bit of fiddling may find out problem going give it a go.
thinking get apple mac not sure:confused:

LOL I'm closer to grandpa age than you think ;) but about ten or so years younger than Reba I think.

Back