Captain Phillips...

deafdrummer

Reaction score
I just saw this movie today with friends. It was the first time I stepped into a movie theatre in 13 years... I did not know they had all this food (though at a ridiculous price), and they had these CC devices that fit in your cup holder. It worked well, except I had to hold it up during the whole movie. It was the first time I ever used one. I noticed they didn't have the proper 30-06 sign for prohibiting firearms for CCWs, which prohibits firearms in such places.

As I watched the movie, I ticked off several boxes on mistakes the shipping company and ship crew made at the time. I couldn't help but look at this movie from a former militia member's perspective... Sometimes, it requires military action to resolve a situation. I know how men think, as I used to be one myself.

I see a lot of threads running through this movie, like the effects of a dying land (massive desertification happening over millenia), colonialism and slavery, and the effects of that desertification on civilization. I couldn't help but see that the pirates represented the end-stage of civilization on a piece of land that was about to be wholly uninhabitable. Desertification must be reversed. Help must be provided to those in need in a way that fosters not dependence on aid, but on self-sufficiency.

Back