Benefits of Netflix?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

As I understand it, it's cheap and reasonable, but what other benefits are there? I'm wondering because at some point in 2014 or 2015 I'll probably be moving into my own place, and before I do, I want to make sure I have accurate information first.

Now, as I understand it, some of the shows/movies aren't closed captioned, and that makes me apprehensive to sign up, but I'd like some feedback? I just want a better understanding, that's all.

Last edited:
Thanks Calvin. I didn't know there were any. I'll look into these, and learn more.

AD has a search function you can search all the threads to see if anything has ever been posted on a certain subject ... up at the top it says "Search" click that and it gives you options ... Google is a good method as well about finding info out on anything if it's on AD or not ...

AD has a search function you can search all the threads to see if anything has ever been posted on a certain subject ... up at the top it says "Search" click that and it gives you options ... Google is a good method as well about finding info out on anything if it's on AD or not ...

I thought you meant way at the top. Took me a few minutes to find it. Next time I think of something, I shall check and see if it's been a topic before. Thanks for that tip.

I thought you're trying to save money?

I thought you're trying to save money?

Yes I am. Here's why:

Cable: $90+/month

Netflix: $8/month

See the difference? I can save up to $85 or more using this service than cable, and I am seriously considering it, because I don't want to go without TV for all of this year, you know.

I already answered it in older threads. Good luck in finding it. :lol:

I already answered it in older threads. Good luck in finding it. :lol:

Calvin gave me a couple of them. I'll look into these, and see if these answer my questions. If not, then I may have to get out the cyber shovel and start digging, and I REALLY don't wanna do that-- would take FOREVER to do that.

Yes I am. Here's why:

Cable: $90+/month

Netflix: $8/month

See the difference? I can save up to $85 or more using this service than cable, and I am seriously considering it, because I don't want to go without TV for all of this year, you know.
You have to understand that if you disconnect your cable TV service and use an antenna instead, that means you can't watch CNN, ESPN, FX, HGTV, NGC, USA, TNT, etc which are available only on cable. If you are not interested in those networks, then you should have no problem living without the cable TV.

Calvin gave me a couple of them. I'll look into these, and see if these answer my questions. If not, then I may have to get out the cyber shovel and start digging, and I REALLY don't wanna do that-- would take FOREVER to do that.
Well, my old answer was that it has a free 30-days trial so try it out.

You have to understand that if you disconnect your cable TV service and use an antenna instead, that means you can't watch CNN, ESPN, FX, HGTV, NGC, USA, TNT, etc which are available only on cable. If you are not interested in those networks, then you should have no problem living without the cable TV.

I don't watch a lot of NBA basketball; I'm more into NCAA basketball, which is mainly shown on CBS, so no, I shouldn't have too many problems. However, I WOULD like to keep watching MLB Network, though, so that could be an issue.

How do you get a better understanding? Try it out for free before you decide to subscribe to it and cancel your cable service. Problem solved!

In your OP;

About that.... I had a friend who did just that, and they demanded money from him for just watching one movie, so I have some issues if I'm not gonna watch movies for all 30 days, and quite frankly, I'd rather not do it if I have the same issue.

About that.... I had a friend who did just that, and they demanded money from him for just watching one movie, so I have some issues if I'm not gonna watch movies for all 30 days, and quite frankly, I'd rather not do it if I have the same issue.
I signed up for the free trial a year ago or so. I saw several movies before I canceled it within 3 days before the trial expired so I had no issue. I bet he didn't cancel it before it expired so he had to pay for next month as per contract. Always read fine print before signing up. You should take advantage of it as many people do. If you like it, then it will automatically charge you from next month on until you cancel it.

I signed up for the free trial a year ago or so. I saw several movies before I canceled it within 3 days before the trial expired so I had no issue. I bet he didn't cancel it before it expired so he had to pay for next month as per contract. Always read fine print before signing up. You should take advantage of it as many people do. If you like it, then it will automatically charge you from next month on until you cancel it.

Noted. Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind.

I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Instant Video
There's a buttload of shows on Netflix that Amazon does not offer or does not offer without a small fee. The idea of paying $1-2.99 per episode of a TV show makes me groan. I'll be canceling my Prime account whenever it expires.

I have Netflix set up in my bedroom with a Smart TV. And I can assure you that I have not run across ANY movies that are NOT closed captioned! I am very happy with my choice to have Netflix in my bedroom. Many, many of the older TV show series are on Netflix COMPLETE and best of all no advertising!! For the past ten days or so I have been watching "Army Wives" and it is truly one of the best TV series I have ever seen. Beautiful and colorful clothes, plenty of handsome men in uniform and wonderful, educational themes. All very believable. "All Animals Great and Small" is another good one. Yes, I do have a larger TV in my living room but find that relaxing in bed for a long movie is a great way to go! KK

I agree with you. It is no longer beneficial to have Amazon Prime unless you shop at Amazon frequently. KK

Back