Residual Hearing after CI

Did you lose your residual hearing after CI?

• Total voters

DeafDoc1

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read the literature on preservation of residual hearing after CI, but I'm curious to know the ADers' experiences. Did you lose your residual hearing after CI, maintain it at it's pre-surgery level, or something in between? :hmm:

I hope this isn't a redundant post--I tried looking back, but apologies if it is a repeat.

as you know, preservation of one's residual hearing varies from one ci user to the next.

today's ci's are specially designed to preserve residual hearing, but this doesn't always happen.

i lost all of my residual hearing. i'm 100% deaf without my ci's.

No prob. I kinda inquired this recently and Hear Again filled me in on the details. I'm sure she'll be able to do so on this as well.

But from the most part of what I was told, if you didn't lose it from the current modern CI surgery then it's up to nature to decide if/or when you will.

loss of one's residual hearing after ci surgery has more to do with the way the electrodes are inserted and how much cochlear fluid is leaked.

No prob. I kinda inquired this recently and Hear Again filled me in on the details. I'm sure she'll be able to do so on this as well.

But from the most part of what I was told, if you didn't lose it from the current modern CI surgery then it's up to nature to decide if/or when you will.

loss of one's residual hearing after ci surgery has more to do with the way the electrodes are inserted and how much cochlear fluid is leaked.

Thanks for the quick replies. I understand the technical aspects, I was just curious about people's own experiences. I wonder if I should have made a poll...:hmm:

There ya go, she's a textbook on this Doc, bombard away!

Oops - sorry for the mistake Hear Again, I must've not read the last discussion correctly.

Thanks for the quick replies. I understand the technical aspects, I was just curious about people's own experiences. I wonder if I should have made a poll...:hmm:

doc,

i think creating a poll would be an excellent idea. i'd be curious as to the final tally results.

How can you tell if you have reisduel hearing?
What is residual hearing

Last edited:
Hard to vote as some of my residual hearing decreased but I did not loss all of it.

How can you tell if you have reisduel hearing?

Hard to vote as some of my residual hearing decreased but I did not loss all of it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I'd hoped.

Residual hearing means the hearing you have without your CI. If you had a litte hearing before your CI, can you still hear after the CI (when you aren't using/wearing it), or did you lose some more hearing, or are you totally deaf after implant?

I hope that is clearer. Sorry, I do tend to speak doctor-ese sometimes.

I cannot hear anything without my hearing aid too

I lost all residual hearing in my implanted ear after CI surgery. But, I don't really mind, as two months later, my tinnitus in that ear is also gone and for the first time in 3 years, I actually know what total silence is. Makes sleeping at night a lot easier :)

as for finding out how much residual hearing one has following ci surgery, my audi gave me hearing tests to determine this not long after activation.

So Hear Again before you was implanted you was able to hear?

I couldn't hear without my hearing aids. I could hear low bass sounds but that was it. Heard decent with my aids. I did not know you can possibly retain some of your residual hearing afterwards.

I couldn't hear without my hearing aids. I could hear low bass sounds but that was it. Heard decent with my aids. I did not know you can possibly retain some of your residual hearing afterwards.

I cannot hear a thing without my hearing aids either. Not even low bass sounds.

As for retaining residual hearing, I do believe it is entirely dependent on the CI center and their surgeons/surgery procedures. Because I've read over the past many months that some were able to retain some residual hearing, yet when I went to see my CI audi in November, she warned me I would lose all my residual hearing if I had the CI.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I'd hoped.

Residual hearing means the hearing you have without your CI. If you had a litte hearing before your CI, can you still hear after the CI (when you aren't using/wearing it), or did you lose some more hearing, or are you totally deaf after implant?

I hope that is clearer. Sorry, I do tend to speak doctor-ese sometimes.

I can still hear some sounds without my CIs, but my residual hearing is not completely the same. My left ear lost the most. Since I had both ear done, I can't rely on the other ear. Another concern is auditory hallucinations. I can talk to a person and in my mind I can hear the way there voice sounds. So that at times makes me think I have more residual then I have.

Back