Etiquette question re: "Deafie"

inkii

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time in the forum. I am the hearing owner of a congenitally deaf dog, Haven.

1526514_10152266448916454_305194003_n.jpg

I've been pretty active in the deaf-dog community for the past six years. I knew that I didn't know much about Deaf culture for people, but I thought I was pretty well connected with the deaf dog community and that I generally knew the etiquette.

I spend a lot of time talking to other deaf dog owners about living with deaf dogs, especially consulting about deaf-dog specific training (I am a professional dog trainer). I network with rescues to promote the adoption of deaf dogs. I take my deaf dog to pet stores and talk to hearing dog owners about deaf dogs. I advocate for changes to policies which exclude deaf dogs (the American Kennel Club and Therapy Dogs International are probably the most familiar names. TDI has finally allowed deaf dogs to participate; AKC still does not).

285702_10151345196036454_1745290050_n.jpg

I guess the point is that I'm trying and it's important to me.

In a recent post in a dog community, I referred to my deaf dog Haven as "my beloved deafie." Afterward, someone approached me privately to say that "deafie" is a pejorative term and shouldn't ever be used by a hearing person because it can be very offensive.

This startled me. I've been calling Haven "deafie" as a term of endearment since she was a tiny puppy. I've said it every day for six years. The term is everywhere in the deaf dog groups (where the vast majority of the owners are hearing). And no one has ever mentioned that it's a potentially uncomfortable term. For that matter, I picked up the term in the first place from a Deaf person who was referring to herself as a deafie in a lighthearted way. I just assumed it was safe/okay, and I generally use it in that same lighthearted, affectionate way. I've never heard it used as a slur.

After we talked more, the person who objected to my use of the term said that she guessed it was okay since Haven is a dog and can't be offended by it herself. But now I can't stop thinking about it, because it is everywhere in the deaf dog community. I know the dog can't be offended by it herself, but I also don't want to passively promote offensive speech by using it (for example, someone hearing me call Haven my deafie and then using that phrase to talk about a Deaf friend).

Is it actually offensive?

Would it still be offensive in the context of a hearing person talking (positively or neutrally) about their deaf dog?

Would it make a difference whether the audience was other deaf dog owners or the general public?

Are there other terms like that which I might be using as a person who is not involved in the Deaf community but talks about deafness a reasonable amount in the context of deaf dogs?

:lol: Wow! You really worry a lot. I am deaf, and I rescue deaf dogs too.

It's fine with me if you want to call me, your dog, my dog, Deafie.

The only people I know who get offended by that are hard of hearing or late deafened people, who aren't really part of that group.

Hi all, this is my first time in the forum. I am the hearing owner of a congenitally deaf dog, Haven.

1526514_10152266448916454_305194003_n.jpg

I've been pretty active in the deaf-dog community for the past six years. I knew that I didn't know much about Deaf culture for people, but I thought I was pretty well connected with the deaf dog community and that I generally knew the etiquette.

I spend a lot of time talking to other deaf dog owners about living with deaf dogs, especially consulting about deaf-dog specific training (I am a professional dog trainer). I network with rescues to promote the adoption of deaf dogs. I take my deaf dog to pet stores and talk to hearing dog owners about deaf dogs. I advocate for changes to policies which exclude deaf dogs (the American Kennel Club and Therapy Dogs International are probably the most familiar names. TDI has finally allowed deaf dogs to participate; AKC still does not).

285702_10151345196036454_1745290050_n.jpg

I guess the point is that I'm trying and it's important to me.

In a recent post in a dog community, I referred to my deaf dog Haven as "my beloved deafie." Afterward, someone approached me privately to say that "deafie" is a pejorative term and shouldn't ever be used by a hearing person because it can be very offensive.

This startled me. I've been calling Haven "deafie" as a term of endearment since she was a tiny puppy. I've said it every day for six years. The term is everywhere in the deaf dog groups (where the vast majority of the owners are hearing). And no one has ever mentioned that it's a potentially uncomfortable term. For that matter, I picked up the term in the first place from a Deaf person who was referring to herself as a deafie in a lighthearted way. I just assumed it was safe/okay, and I generally use it in that same lighthearted, affectionate way. I've never heard it used as a slur.

After we talked more, the person who objected to my use of the term said that she guessed it was okay since Haven is a dog and can't be offended by it herself. But now I can't stop thinking about it, because it is everywhere in the deaf dog community. I know the dog can't be offended by it herself, but I also don't want to passively promote offensive speech by using it (for example, someone hearing me call Haven my deafie and then using that phrase to talk about a Deaf friend).

Is it actually offensive?

Would it still be offensive in the context of a hearing person talking (positively or neutrally) about their deaf dog?

Would it make a difference whether the audience was other deaf dog owners or the general public?

Are there other terms like that which I might be using as a person who is not involved in the Deaf community but talks about deafness a reasonable amount in the context of deaf dogs?

I personally would not worry about it b/c deaf people call hearing people
'hearies' all the time here. You can your dog deafie, hearing impaired etc. your dog is cute !

Your doggie is beautiful!...and call me a deafie...I like it!...and I'll call you a hearie....People do and will always get offended by certain labels...

:lol: Wow! You really worry a lot.

Lol, that's the truth!

I guess it just struck me because it had never even occurred to me that it might be derogatory. I have a hard time reading some social cues, so I was worried I had been offensive without realizing it for half a decade and no one had bothered to tell me!

lovely dog....I don't care what you call me deafie fine

Pejorative fits my reaction to both deafie and hearie when I first encountered them here on alldeaf. I had NEVER known of them from anywhere else. They still grate but I don't talk about it as they seem fairly common here.

Then again I have no real contact with "Deaf Cultural" although I have been completely deaf in the left ear since the age of five a good 67 or so years ago. As a kid my right ear was very, very good. As that ear went down as an adult, although I took ASL as a night course at out local community college, I made NO contacts and have forgotten what I did learn because I had no one to use it with.

Ahhhhh. A cuttie..!!!!
im Deafie...fine with me to call yoir pooch deafie.....
For us its not a pejorative term. Maybe to hearies, and half breed hearies,,hh, or what ever...
We Deafie..
Cute pooch!!!

Its funny how the Hearing find 'deafìe' and 'hearie' offensive but are perfectly fine with calling a Deaf person 'hearing impaired'. Call me Deafie please. Hearing impaired never!

Call me what ever you want, just do not forget to call me for dinner.
I am not hearing impaired, I just live in a quiet world. :lol:
Love the dog, Deafie is pretty.

I don't mind being called Deafie. Your dog is so cute!!! I love his blue eyes and nose!

I like to be call "Deafie", too. I can call you "Hearie" if you are hearing. As for the Dog, she can be call deaf dog or Deaf dog if she know the gesture signs.

You have a beautiful dog. I like her. :thumb:

Back