Death of poetry

Jezie

Reaction score
It must be hard to give out peices of yourself... I know I write often... on my devices, in notebooks, on cards, napkins, just about anything...but never share those intimate pices of me... poetry and writing in general has always been my... release valve... so when a friend and I got to talking it struck me how sad it was...
The death of poetry .... but in many ways he is correct...
We no longer have the epics to rival Gilgamesh, Iliad, Maharashtra or the Aenied. The lyrical messages of news, hopes, dreams, nature, or of a recent scandalous affair...

Is it that our society has become to entrenched into the instant media, mmusic, and knowing that the web will hold out histories. Or is our language now just to rough for good poetry ... do we, as a society lack the imagination, stillness, the drive, or care that has caused this...

It is said that only poets read poetry... maybe...

But, I am curious... is poetry a dead or dying art form....

Sure is. No doubt about it. If one comperes the as wn example compares the litericy of the populstion in poetry..now to 100 ywwrs wgo..there is no doubt its an all but dead and oe fossikized srt form.

The csuses are deep, and wide. But there is no doubt sbout it really

Even 100 years ago there was more and still decent poetry written....
Some argue that poetry is not dead, rather it has been basterdized into our media. It can be found in places like music and advertising. Yet, the eloquence of the classics are gone. The epics, most likely will never truly grace a book again. Publishers, authors, and booksellers cannot make any profit from poetry... in fact often times only get published through the use of government funding.
What do you see as the cause for the loss of poetry.

Even 100 years ago there was more and still decent poetry written....
Some argue that poetry is not dead, rather it has been basterdized into our media. It can be found in places like music and advertising. Yet, the eloquence of the classics are gone. The epics, most likely will never truly grace a book again. Publishers, authors, and booksellers cannot make any profit from poetry... in fact often times only get published through the use of government funding.
What do you see as the cause for the loss of poetry.

Well i wont argue that some people bekieve poetry alive and vibrent, some hold the same for elvis...
Cool..
And i respect their faith.
So it comes down to by what measure are holding it.?
Using a century as looksee..a few questions canbe asked.
Has litericy degraded?
If so coud rhe fall in litericy also effect poetry?
If not why?
We can start there...those that bekieve it alive csn still bekive it and keep.writing to their feries or what ever, those that have seen or sensed the change and lose.can.think on the above qustions

Well i wont argue that some people bekieve poetry alive and vibrent, some hold the same for elvis...
Cool..
And i respect their faith.
So it comes down to by what measure are holding it.?
Using a century as looksee..a few questions canbe asked.
Has litericy degraded?
If so coud rhe fall in litericy also effect poetry?
If not why?
We can start there...those that bekieve it alive csn still bekive it and keep.writing to their feries or what ever, those that have seen or sensed the change and lose.can.think on the above qustions

True literacy has degraded... i forget the study that made me go back and look. But the media and print has a vocabulary that doea not exceed 4th grade. While 100 years ago, people had a higher illiteracy rate, the ones that did read had a higher degree of literacy and eloquence was prized within the spoken and written word.
The fall of literacy, can have many devastating affects... it is said without language your cognitive skill falters... would it not make since that with a more rich language you can perceive thoughts and ideas differently?
Poetry takes thought and stillness, something people lack in these times.
Poetry is dead to a point, due to the lack of monetary gain for poets... but there are some skilled still around... sadly one has to shift though a lot of self published and a lot of crap to find them.

True literacy has degraded... i forget the study that made me go back and look. But the media and print has a vocabulary that doea not exceed 4th grade. While 100 years ago, people had a higher illiteracy rate, the ones that did read had a higher degree of literacy and eloquence was prized within the spoken and written word.
The fall of literacy, can have many devastating affects... it is said without language your cognitive skill falters... would it not make since that with a more rich language you can perceive thoughts and ideas differently?
Poetry takes thought and stillness, something people lack in these times.
Poetry is dead to a point, due to the lack of monetary gain for poets... but there are some skilled still around... sadly one has to shift though a lot of self published and a lot of crap to find them.

The dscussiion so far has been about hearie, anyway.
No one denies there are "some" poets still around. Thats an empy statement really.
I think your awnsered your question. It lays with the decline of litericy, more then that of monetary gain. Fewer read it for enjoyment, fewer are versed in it, its not suprising the quality and amount of poetry as a result declined.

The dscussiion so far has been about hearie, anyway.
No one denies there are "some" poets still around. Thats an empy statement really.
I think your awnsered your question. It lays with the decline of litericy, more then that of monetary gain. Fewer read it for enjoyment, fewer are versed in it, its not suprising the quality and amount of poetry as a result declined.

True, but deaf can still read the lyrics and find the poetry there...
But then, it is another reason deaf need written language... then we can have our own poets... I do wonder if more would come forth if written sign took off...

True, but deaf can still read the lyrics and find the poetry there...
But then, it is another reason deaf need written language... then we can have our own poets... I do wonder if more would come forth if written sign took off...

Poetry is alive, more alive amongst us Deaf, then in hearie world. We have our powts always have,, poetry is alive as is storytelling in our culture,
Compared.

Writing certinly will help,

Poetry is alive, more alive amongst us Deaf, then in hearie world. We have our powts always have,, poetry is alive as is storytelling in our culture,
Compared.

Writing certinly will help,

Where? I have run across some on YouTube....but they are so few that I find... would be nice to see more...

Where? I have run across some on YouTube....but they are so few that I find... would be nice to see more...

Amongst us Deaf.
Certinly in Deaf school, conpared to hearie school, we story tell more, signer to signee, it can be classed oral how it operateves..in our culture, not oral in the mourth sense, in how its used and told so on.
Read the body poetic, it akso has a dvd conponent with allot of good stuff...the book is good, its fairly academic.
Also look for
Peter cook
Clayton valli
Dot

Amongst us Deaf.
Certinly in Deaf school, conpared to hearie school, we story tell more, signer to signee, it can be classed oral how it operateves..in our culture, not oral in the mourth sense, in how its used and told so on.
Read the body poetic, it akso has a dvd conponent with allot of good stuff...the book is good, its fairly academic.
Also look for
Peter cook
Clayton valli
Dot

Nice... Peter cook and Clayton valli I have watched and like... who is dot?

Look for behqn too...storyteller, snd all his eork...

But this thread isnt about our poets of stoeytellers...its about the death of peotry.
Just to keep it focused

Back