Which do you prefer....IP relay or TRS?

gtanner

Reaction score
As we continue to add more features and functions to the ACCESS communication platform, we want to make sure it continues to fit the needs of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.

So...when it comes to text calls (other than TTY), which do you prefer, IP relay or TRS?

Thanks

Gary

As we continue to add more features and functions to the ACCESS communication platform, we want to make sure it continues to fit the needs of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.

So...when it comes to text calls (other than TTY), which do you prefer, IP relay or TRS?

Thanks

Gary

I think I probably don't fit your target group; but wanted to let you know there is at least one of us! I want to use my VOICE on ALL phone calls. Some feel I am behind the times as I do use a TTY and my state relay for VCO calls on my landline. I use a captioning app on my cell phone.

I prefer IP Relay because the relay operators type anything to me clearly. TRS don't fit on me because it makes me waste time such as garbled words and bad operators.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

VRS over IP relay

But, problem I am seeing is many qualified interpreters have left VRS leaving lousy, poorly trained terp. Misunderstanding and misinterpreting is now on rise, thanks to FCC being too anal and destroying the quality of VRS calls. So, I have cut down using VRS.

VRS over IP relay

But, problem I am seeing is many qualified interpreters have left VRS leaving lousy, poorly trained terp. Misunderstanding and misinterpreting is now on rise, thanks to FCC being too anal and destroying the quality of VRS calls. So, I have cut down using VRS.

Well, then we will have to use a FaceTime or text message on mobile/cellphone instead of using the VRS. That would be our challenge.

I like the Convo, but I feel something not quite about it because the company was complaining about the FCC rules. Now, the Convo already expanded by adding new different locations. I thought that the company forced to save the money and limited its research. What a white lie.

I believe that once FCC gave the money to VRS to grow their business so that the companies can grow their own profit and let it go and run its own course. They do not need more money from FCC again. Of course, we know that they already earned millions of dollars a few years later. Are they crying for more and more money from FCC for sake?

Do u realize that many of certified interpreter have been leaving VRS companies for better job on field? Right now VRS companies is getting less money, meaning they were forced to pay less for interpreters who works for them.
5 years ago, it wasnt that bad, now its much worse.

Terp injuries while working at VRS companies is now on rise, all due to cut backs, plus increase workloads, increase errors, and so on. I was injured at VRS company all due to stress have put on me and I was forced to leave company, now what do I get? A drop in the bucket thats all... ,all it greedy? SMH

The days of salary, 40 hours week is now history. Who suffered the most? Its employees, thats why more and more is leaving VRS companies.

Its not the VRS making so much money, u may not realize that it cost millions of dollars to run a VRS company. These servers they have to use cost money, the broadband they need for high speed cost money, and so on. Those people who works there just like average joe and jane, they have faced cuts, justified? nope, FCC cares? Nope, if FCC made mistake, they are immune to it and makes VRS pay for FCCs own mistakes, dont u realize that?

Well, then we will have to use a FaceTime or text message on mobile/cellphone instead of using the VRS. That would be our challenge.

I like the Convo, but I feel something not quite about it because the company was complaining about the FCC rules. Now, the Convo already expanded by adding new different locations. I thought that the company forced to save the money and limited its research. What a white lie.

I believe that once FCC gave the money to VRS to grow their business so that the companies can grow their own profit and let it go and run its own course. They do not need more money from FCC again. Of course, we know that they already earned millions of dollars a few years later. Are they crying for more and more money from FCC for sake?

I think I probably don't fit your target group; but wanted to let you know there is at least one of us! I want to use my VOICE on ALL phone calls. Some feel I am behind the times as I do use a TTY and my state relay for VCO calls on my landline. I use a captioning app on my cell phone.

What app is that?

What app is that?

http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/

I liked this one (InnoCaption) even better but the service is suspended while they work on some connection to 911 problems.

http://innocaption.com/

I do not have a LTE capable phone nor am I in an area where I can count on such a connection being available to use this one.

https://sprintcaptel.com/wireless-captel-sprint

When this one developed by Sprint that uses VOIP first came out that thought it worked on 3G. But . . . where I am it was not stable enough although it said the connection was fast enough. It was constantly changing just a very small amount and it would make my voice drop out to where who I was trying to talk to would get about every third word I said.

I prefer IP relay.

Truthfully, there very few times I need it since any communication need can be met by e-mail/IM.

The good thing about the ACCESS platform is its not necessary to shell out money for a voice landline I will never really put to good use.

honestly - I havent used text relay for awhile, since i711 is gone and no easy way to copy texts for proofs. I mainly used vrs but if I have to say which I'd say iprelay since i wouldnt have to depend on the state relay i am in.

I prefer TRS:

- instant have history record of conversation
- Able to re-read without ask the caller to repeat the message
- able to pre-typing to prepare to say something while the caller make a long useless blah blah greeting or something
- able to provide specs number/letter to spell out

Thank you for your replies. We will be introducing the first update to the NexTalk ACCESS platform/software in the coming 6 weeks. Many new features and a whole new look.

JanB,

You can do VCO with the NexTalk ACCESS software and platform.

I think your were probably trying to address your reply to me but left out an e. If so, the correct one is Jane B.

I doubt that I will become a customer of yours if I understand things right. I am under the impression that there is a monthly fee to use NexTalk ACCESS platform/software. I have no additional cost to use what I currently have.

Jane,

That is correct. There is a monthly fee because when a person subscribes to the ACCESS platform, we issue them a phone number.

ACCESS is a deaf-centric communication platform, much like FaceBook is a social networking platform. However, unlike Facebook, ACCESS can communicate with anybody. Facebook is a closed platform (you have to be on FaceBook to see another persons FaceBook page).

ACCESS does not have that limitation. We provide ACCESS subscribers with a standard phone number, which can be used by any other text device and numerous video devices to call a ACCESS user. We secure the number for the subscriber, which is what the $6.95 a month pays for.

If you called your local phone company and asked them to provide you with a number, you would pay more than $6.95 a month.

I realize this may not change how you view the platform... or persuade you to use it, but I wanted you to know why we charge a fee.

Back