CART vs CPRINT

deafinitions

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering your thoughts on CART vs. CPRINT services. I am preparing to enter college in the fall as a bilateral CI user and will need some sort of captioning service for classes. I understand that CART is more of a literal translation than CPRINT; have any of you had experience with either or both? Which do you prefer for a classroom setting?

I've had both. obviously I prefer CART but CPRINT will do if CART is not available. At Virginia Tech, I had CART cuz it was in middle of nowhere. At Rutgers University, I had CPRINT. At several business conferences in different states, I had CPRINT.

I've had both. obviously I prefer CART but CPRINT will do if CART is not available. At Virginia Tech, I had CART cuz it was in middle of nowhere. At Rutgers University, I had CPRINT. At several business conferences in different states, I had CPRINT.

Thanks for your response, Jiro. Do you mind explaining in a little more detail why you prefer CART? Simply because it's a direct transcript? Do you think someone HoH would benefit more from one or the other?

I have used CART services here in Florida during my classes and personally, I now avoid it like the plague. My college has CART and I did not know that they would provide a computer and as a result, I lost two computers to hackers. Both happened on campus on their internet. I brought this to their attention and they provided a computer, but their computer was worse than being hacked. The day I picked the computer up from admin, I was in class five minutes later. Twenty minutes into the class, I saw my classmates covering their ears and in obvious pain, (the college compute was making a horror noise) but I couldn't hear it so I had no idea that I was the cause. I was asked to leave for the day because of the noise. I contacted my advisor only to be accused of breaking it.
My experience was unique and I urge you to continue looking into these services at your school. If possible ask other students who have used the services, find out what process is needed to document any issues, whether with peers, teachers and/or equipment. Ask if the equipment is furnished by the college and if not what procedures and protections are in place to protect you and the equipment you have/will furnish. Don't just accept what one adviser tells you, ask other students, faculty, check the college website.
Also, not all professors will willingly accommodate you. Sometimes you may have to fight for your rights. Before deciding on a professor check http://www.ratemyprofessor.com to see if others praise that professor or condemn them on their willingness to comply with the college policy.
Good luck! :wave:

Thanks for your response, Jiro. Do you mind explaining in a little more detail why you prefer CART? Simply because it's a direct transcript? Do you think someone HoH would benefit more from one or the other?

it's because ASL is not my first language and I'm not 100% fluent with it. I learned ASL about 5 years ago. At educational setting - I prefer CPRINT/CART.

I should told my boss about CART because Interpreter got confused with jardon words or abbrev. I think cart would works great for me at a work setting. eh... i ll tell my boss eventually.

I should told my boss about CART because Interpreter got confused with jardon words or abbrev. I think cart would works great for me at a work setting. eh... i ll tell my boss eventually.
Whether you use CART or a terp, it's helpful to provide a list of jargon, abbreviations and acronyms that are used at your work place. A chain of command or hierarchy chart that shows the names of department heads and bosses would be very helpful also.

Whether you use CART or a terp, it's helpful to provide a list of jargon, abbreviations and acronyms that are used at your work place. A chain of command or hierarchy chart that shows the names of department heads and bosses would be very helpful also.

I agree that would be helpful. I felt that my work is better with CART when it comes with lot of jargon and so. i have no problem with the interpreter but i can collect the information from cart to remember by. eh.. its a form of the note taker. you know?

I have used CART services here in Florida during my classes and personally, I now avoid it like the plague. My college has CART and I did not know that they would provide a computer and as a result, I lost two computers to hackers. Both happened on campus on their internet. I brought this to their attention and they provided a computer, but their computer was worse than being hacked. The day I picked the computer up from admin, I was in class five minutes later. Twenty minutes into the class, I saw my classmates covering their ears and in obvious pain, (the college compute was making a horror noise) but I couldn't hear it so I had no idea that I was the cause. I was asked to leave for the day because of the noise. I contacted my advisor only to be accused of breaking it.
My experience was unique and I urge you to continue looking into these services at your school. If possible ask other students who have used the services, find out what process is needed to document any issues, whether with peers, teachers and/or equipment. Ask if the equipment is furnished by the college and if not what procedures and protections are in place to protect you and the equipment you have/will furnish. Don't just accept what one adviser tells you, ask other students, faculty, check the college website.
Also, not all professors will willingly accommodate you. Sometimes you may have to fight for your rights. Before deciding on a professor check http://www.ratemyprofessor.com to see if others praise that professor or condemn them on their willingness to comply with the college policy.
Good luck! :wave:
Only nine posts in. Professor rips hearing aids out of your ears, a whole family you haven't met physically abuses you, you have to leave class rather than just unplug a computer.

What a series of unfortunate events...

Only nine posts in. Professor rips hearing aids out of your ears, a whole family you haven't met physically abuses you, you have to leave class rather than just unplug a computer.

What a series of unfortunate events...

Perhaps it's Lemony Snicket :lol:

I did try CART one time while I was a student at UNLV for a brief time. It did not help me at all. My eyes were glued to that machine and too much information jambled at my eyes. I disliked it so much.

I prefer interpreters and notetaking services instead.

Thank you all so much for your input!

I am a senior in high school taking honors and AP classes. From 7th grade through last year (junior year) I actually used a notetaker. My parents and I had no idea that service was available, but the district offered since the last girl to use a notetaker was graduating, freeing up the notetaker to shadow me.

I was certainly grateful for the services, but honestly never found myself looking at the notes the notetaker provided for me! (I still feel guilty about that, but I guess I just took good enough notes myself that I felt I never needed the extra "crutch".)

For my senior year, I actually weaned myself off of using an FM system and notetaker because I do want to be as independent as possible in college. The university I'll be attended has proven to be AMAZING as far as accommodations go (at least so far - fingers crossed). They say they have CART services and would install a program on my laptop so that I could Skype a third party (paid by the college) into my classes and get a live CART transcript that way.My college says they are willing to look into CPRINT too if I would prefer that, so was wondering what you all thought.

ASL is not my primary language - I'm in a second-level ASL class at school now and very much want to learn - so as Jiro said, it sounds like CART may be better for me over CPRINT.

RiverSong and Frisky Feline, sorry to hear about your negative experiences. :( And Oddball, I've only used CART once - at a conference - and found it a little difficult to follow, though more helpful than hurtful for sure. Since I'm not fluent in ASL, I can't use an interpreter, but I will be provided with CART transcripts the day after the lecture so I plan on taking my own notes from that. :)

CART, Closed Captioning help

Finally, I hope I have found a group that can help me with a problem I am having. I am the chairman for a disabilities commission here in MA. I have been trying to get the city to install closed captioning using a real-time CART service for their meetings, any broadcast (etc) on public access channel. Has live audiance, live broadcast and recorded rebroadcasts. And is recorded audio on disk.

Right now, other than doing nothing, my complaint to DOJ ended up with the city bailing-out by complaining it's too much $ or too hard to do. The suggestions by DOJ were a real shock. :shock:
1. Read the transcript (What transcript? Recorded audio!)
2. Read the minutes of the meeting (What minutes? Made from audio!)

What hurt the most was when the following week the cable company gave the schools telecommunication department $333,000 to change the broadcast system from digital to HD. When I asked if some of the $ could go toward CC I was told "the state doesn't require it".

One not to be easily detered I have created a presentation that needs only one thing. This is where I need help. What would a ballpark figure be to start a CC system? Or if you know someone I could get the information.
:dunno: :ty: :ty: :ty:

I been trying to get my city to have CC on their cable station so people that are deaf or hoh and watch the meetings on their TV. I use to go town meetings a lot. The city clerk and I checked how it would cost to rent a CART and it was $250 for a few hours. I was the only person that needed to use the CART so I told my city to forget it. My city said it would cost too much to have CC on their station. You could try and see if you can get some businesses to sponsor the CC and in turn the businesses would get free air time for their products.

There is also the point of people with good hearing wanting to use the captions to watch when another family member is trying to sleep or something else is going on where the audio would be a distraction. Or there is too much other noise where someone is trying to watch of them to understand the audio.

Back