Waking up - no bed shaker

deafinitions

Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior in high school and am 100% deaf but use cochlear implants during the day and function quite well in mainstream society with them.

However, since I take off my CIs at night I need an alarm system to wake me up in the mornings and to alert me to any alarms (smoke/fire, carbon monoxide, etc.). I have tried a few different bedshakers...none have worked for me because I am a sound sleeper and have a very severe case of Restless Legs Syndrome. One bedshaker I "learned" to sleep through after about a week and another woke up the rest of my family...haha.

I am going to college in the fall and need some way to wake up for class. (Currently my mom physically drags me out of bed and slaps me continually to get me to wake up.) I am looking into the possibility of a service dog, but the only real option right now seems to be hiring someone to get me up each morning.

I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions as far as assistive technology goes. Do any of you have experience using smartwatches' (i.e. Pebble, Samsung GEAR) vibrating functions?

Deaf people are using Pebble because it will alerts them for checking txts , and VRS calls.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Use a Sonic Alarm clock and plug a lamp in-- the flashing light wakes me up better than the bed shaker.

I agree with ducky and was going to suggest the same, anything that turns on a bright light should work.

Sleep at 10pm. Therefore, you won't have problem to wake up. Save money! More healthy!

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I should have specified that the bed shaker I have tried was hooked up to a bedside light and I still had issues.

I would love to hear more about how effective the Pebble is in waking people up.

Deafducky and Annie, do you find that the Sonic Alarm is loud/vibrates too much and wakes others up? That's the issue I was having with my bedshaker (had a super-strength style similar to Sonic Alarm).

It's been years since I've used a bedshaker and for most of that time I either was at Gallaudet or living alone. The really old ones were LOUD... the newer ones less so but the hearing people in the house can hear it.

With my set up I only have the lamp plugged in but the clock does have the sound (buzzing/beeping)- and if that's turned up, the others in the house hears it (I forget to be sure it is turned down oops).

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I should have specified that the bed shaker I have tried was hooked up to a bedside light and I still had issues.

I would love to hear more about how effective the Pebble is in waking people up.

Deafducky and Annie, do you find that the Sonic Alarm is loud/vibrates too much and wakes others up? That's the issue I was having with my bedshaker (had a super-strength style similar to Sonic Alarm).

I use the Pebble and love it! You can set 4 alarms without even having to use the app. I only have to charge it once a week. It wakes me up fine, but I do set 3 alarms 15 minutes apart just to be on the safe side. Best part is you can buy it at Best Buy, if you don’t like it, just return it. The alarm works even if the watch is disconnected from your phone. Getting call and text notifications is really nice too. Get some home automation equipment, and you can get text alerts on it from almost anything :)

In a sense yes but I don't think it's loud enough to wake up anybody else elsewhere in the house; only if they're already awake do they hear it. It's basically just very annoying like an insect sound lol.

Are you seriously that difficult to wake? The only option I know of will kick your butt literally! Hook up your alarm clock to a receiver (with a CD player) that can put out a bass channel well below 20 Hz, which is then connected to an amplifier. Hook up a high yield subwoofer (or 2) to the amp and aim it at your bed. Pop in a bass test CD that will play almost inaudible bass, however you WILL feel it! It will shake your guts, might even make you barf, but if this is what it takes, all the luck to you!

I have the Sonic Boom and the bed shaker wakes me up with no problem. I put it under my pillow and when it goes off I jump. Lately though, I've been using my fitbit flex. You can set a silent alarm and it will vibrate on your wrist. If you do not wake up it will go off again. I haven't slept through an alarm yet.

Other then that and what others have suggested, you might just have to have your dorm mate wake you up. Maybe it comes with age, but when I know I have to get up for something important my body just knows.

Good luck!!!

Back