Doctor refuses to see gay couple baby

I can't believe the doctor would not see the baby b/c her parents are gay.
How can any doctor refuses to see a new born baby? :(

The doctor there for baby she only need take history for child not be bosom friends with couple think doctor have this explained to her

Oh wow, that's unethical for doctor to use religious ground to refuse to treat patients. :(

I hate to say it but this goes back to baking a cake. A person has a right to refuse services for an event that goes against their religious beliefs. A doctor has a right to refuse to perform an abortion due to religious beliefs, to excuse themselves from the room when such a thing will take place, etc., It stands to reason that she was within her rights to decline to service the needs of a gay couple. Was it ethical to do? No. She forgot the oath that she swore to uphold "Do no harm." The child really had nothing to do with this and she should have seen the child. Unfortunately, we live under an administration that attacks people of faith which causes some to lose their better judgement, which I agree was true of the doctor's action in this case.

Laura

I hate to say it but this goes back to baking a cake. A person has a right to refuse services for an event that goes against their religious beliefs. A doctor has a right to refuse to perform an abortion due to religious beliefs, to excuse themselves from the room when such a thing will take place, etc., It stands to reason that she was within her rights to decline to service the needs of a gay couple. Was it ethical to do? No. She forgot the oath that she swore to uphold "Do no harm." The child really had nothing to do with this and she should have seen the child. Unfortunately, we live under an administration that attacks people of faith which causes some to lose their better judgement, which I agree was true of the doctor's action in this case.

Laura

What if the baby was critically ill and the dr was the only one in the area at the time?

Laura

That is how I feel , why refuse to see a new born baby b/c her parents are gay ? And I don't buy it that the doctor did not have the parents phone # .
The office had it and the doctor could had gotten it that way. I can't see how anyone can call themselves a doctor when they refuse to care for a baby no matter who the parents are.

That is pure discrimination to the gay couple who have a baby that need to be check over and to find out if the baby need vaccinations to keep the baby healthy.

It is the same for the dead gay man who was being rejected not be buried or to have funeral service all over town. That is why I wonder where would he go to be buried? That make me sick every time they use the religion to reject people of our humanity. We are people no matter what we have done or not done with sins. Jesus really care about us no matter who we are as different people. The doctor have no compassion at all because she want to believe that the gay or homosexual is wrong. It is not their business to tell the gay couple that they can not serve them. Lau is wrong about not serving people as we are all connected with nature and people of diverse. You have to have compassion for the people no matter what. I am a little upset about that. I am Catholic and I don't care what people think. Just let it go. :(

That doctor sounds like a quackjob and I wouldnt want her to be my doctor as a straight person anyway!

Its same thing for some doctors who flatout refuse to see patients because theyre not vaccined.

This doctor should been treating a baby not moralising on gay couple and doctor look into her soul is she in right profession it baby who was patient not parents
I wonder how she feel about hookers with advanced VD would she do anything..a week in children care home without parents who love them kids off the rails how would she treat their issues all they needed was parents love gay or straight

Kai Onca said:
That doctor sounds like a quackjob and I wouldnt want her to be my doctor as a straight person anyway!

Its same thing for some doctors who flatout refuse to see patients because theyre not vaccined.

Agree- who the parents are should not matter. I don't agree however that it is the same as doctors who refuse to treat those who refuse to vaccinate their children. In that scenario the doctor is trying to protect his OTHER patients if the unvaccinated child comes into their waiting room with a disease that another child (or adult) who is also not vaccinated because of a compromised immune system or other MEDICAL reason.

Refusing to accept patients who refuse to vaccinate is not based on any religious beliefs but medical beliefs and experience.

Last edited:
I worded it bad yes the vaccinated issue I agree,i was aiming it at her particularly....years ago I went doctor for birth pill I was young unmarried gal getting the last bit of the 60's the doc refused give them to me but had no problems about me dropping babies he was rc

Agree- who the parents are should not matter. I don't agree however that it is the same as doctors who refuse to treat those who refuse to vaccinate their children. In that scenario the doctor is trying to protect his OTHER patients if the unvaccinated child comes into their waiting room with a disease that another child (or adult) who is also not vaccinated because of a compromised immune system or other MEDICAL reason.

Refusing to accept patients who refuse to vaccinate is not based on any religious beliefs but medical beliefs and experience.

It is same thing. Doctor already focus on one group "measles" refuse to see them but why not refuse patients that did not get mengenis (spelling) shot as that is more deadlier or other patients that didnt get shots for everything else putting people at risk in the waiting room? There are too many diseases that are deadly out there.

Root of doctors refusal is not safety for everyone if it was they would have added a bunch of vaccines to their requirement for everyone not just one shot. It is THEIR belief. Its not "for the safety of other patients otherwise there will be universal adopted prodecures in each doctors office addressing it.

It is same thing. Doctor already focus on one group "measles" refuse to see them but why not refuse patients that did not get mengenis (spelling) shot as that is more deadlier or other patients that didnt get shots for everything else putting people at risk in the waiting room? There are too many diseases that are deadly out there.

Root of doctors refusal is not safety for everyone if it was they would have added a bunch of vaccines to their requirement for everyone not just one shot. It is THEIR belief. Its not "for the safety of other patients otherwise there will be universal adopted prodecures in each doctors office addressing it.

I don't think they're refusing patients who have not had ONLY the measles vaccine but those who have not had all recommended vaccines (per the recommended schedule). Meningitis vaccine is a more recent recommendation for pre-teens with a booster about 5 years later. Since it's now a recommended vaccine, the doctors may be refusing them also.

I don't think they're refusing patients who have not had ONLY the measles vaccine but those who have not had all recommended vaccines (per the recommended schedule). Meningitis vaccine is a more recent recommendation for pre-teens with a booster about 5 years later. Since it's now a recommended vaccine, the doctors may be refusing them also.

In order not to derail this thread any further. Will try to sum it up. 50 states have extemptions from vaccines for many reasons. The doctors have many patients with many different diseases thats spreadable. Some are prevented by vaccines but argument is its not 100% effective and the parents reason of not giving the shot whatever reason may be ,

The doctor is in reality refusing to see the patient because they believe in the vaccination and believe that safety of others in waiting room is better with vaccation. It is still THEIR belief. No different. It is still the doctors personal beliefs. Again if safety was truly compromised why isnt all doctors adopting the same practice?

This is absolutely ridiculous...pediatricians should WANT to help any child regardless of race, social/economic status, sexual orientation (child's or parents')....I'm curious as to what "God" she was praying to that told her to not help an infant...

I became a teacher because I WANTED to help ALL students (even though my concentration is special ed, I was co-sponsor for an after school club with mainly gen. ed kids). I didn't become one so I could teach in the middle of suburbia where everyone is straight, white-washed, gift/talented, and upper-class...I'd rather be at a Title 1 special needs classroom and offering peer tutoring for the gen. ed students...

Not sure if it's related to the topic but what I am going to say is the opposite of it.

I went to urgent care for my health issue so my daughter as my last minute interpreter and I waited for two hours. Then finally we went into the exam room and waited for several minutes. The doctor showed up into the room. He is a short Vietnam young guy acting very feminine. He's easily ID gay but I have no complaint. So I wonder what if patients who despise gays would do when they were examined by him?

My point is that I think it's great for Kaiser (my HMO) to hire gay doctors but what about those anti-gay patients who pay for the health insurance? :hmm:

Maybe the baby refused to sign up for the ACA.

If the baby was one of those far right conservative families that refused to sign up for the ACA would all you screaming liberals still be screaming at the doctor, or at the parents?

hmmmm .... :roll:

Although I do not agree with the doctor's decision at all, it was her decision to make.

Back