Deafness and memory:

Snowball

Reaction score
Before I appear with hearing loss, I had a very strong memory. I know that age and too much reading may have an impact on remembering ordinary things, but I know that my parents have a strong memory. Hence, I came up with the puzzle if the fact that I don't hear things clearly make them more difficult for me to remember, or if there are any other health/brain conditions related to hearing loss? May hearing loss and weakened memory be paired?

it possible...People suffer false memories and really believe them

I'm no scientist but I don't think there is a connection in general unless you have a disease or something that will affect both hearing and memory. I was born deaf and at my age my memory is still good- there's stuff I don't want to remember but still do and I can remember stuff others don't- trivia and stuff most people forget lol

Yes, there is a connection:

http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/Mobile/article.aspx?articleid=802291

My own theory is that older people who get hearing loss get isolated from communication with others. If they would be socially included the effect on memory would not be large or maybe not there at all. People who don't know sign language and loose their hearing at an old age don't get stimuli and memory detoriates.

I'm not a doctor but at least from my own experience being born with the hearing loss I do have pretty good memory. I remember stuff that my hearing family and friends don't. And when I was living with my parents my Mom would always ask me to remind her to do certain things.

Just my opinion you would be better off going to a qualified doctor for a diagnosis. We're just random people online and we can't really provide a good solution or diagnosis. You might have some type of neurological disorder that's affecting both your hearing and memory but again, you would have to go to a doctor and get a reliable opinion.

The dementia bit depressing.my theory is if did mri on over 60' proberly find scarring from small strokes in over 40% of them and as I said on another thread God plays dice do scarring cause dementia eyesight hearing or all of it.I believe as you rightly say social inclusion only way of helping.I have read if person a signer brain is in gear a lot better than non signer I can see logic in that

I took a memory test in psychology when I was in college. I was the last person to finish the test. I think it has something to do with my deafness and cerebral palsy. I take longer than others to do things.

I took a memory test in psychology when I was in college. I was the last person to finish the test. I think it has something to do with my deafness and cerebral palsy. I take longer than others to do things.

If you have become psychologist to yourself, I may say that their test was not worth the trouble. :laugh2:

When I was growing up in both elementary and high school mostly in oral only Special Education program (mainstream). I had trouble remembering and not recognizing things and people, even some of my classmates. My memories were not that good now that I am getting close to 70 years old. My mind is still intact but memories I struggled to remember. :(

After so many ear surgeries...I do feel it's affected my memory somewhat. People come up and say "Hi!"...remember me?"....and I'm at a loss and think "who the hell is she/he?"....But given a few clues...then I'm OK...(but just embarrassed)....

Memory?
(Lghts fat joint.......)
Uh....i forget...
Oh....yeah...(drags joint)
Memory...its neat

Back