i711 to be discontinued

A Nihilist

Premium Member
Reaction score
https://i711.com/

As a result of FCC action, i711 is forced to cease providing this service to our customers effective November 14, 2014.

If you would like to use i711 after this date, you will need to port your text ten-digit number to Sprint, the only remaining provider.

Total bummer. :thumbd:

Yeah, even though other still providing service, the quality of service already suffered and eventually they may go out of business unless Deaf community takes action. Dont ask me to proactive for u guys, I cant do alone. I done my part already.

As u see, Sprint is going to be remaining and only provider, this is enough hint that it can and will impact VRS if nothing is done, and dont expect hearing people taking care for u Deaf guys as they have had it already.

looks like we can write off IP Relay service, this is my post from Sprint. So much for switching to them.

Hello Sares, at this time, Sprint is undergoing a process with the FCC to make a decision on whether we can remain in the Sprint IP Relay business at all. We hope a decision is made in the coming weeks; however, until that time a decision is made, we are unable to process any new Sprint IP registrations. Even though you may have begun the process to register for Sprint IP, there are several steps involved before either porting an existing number or obtaining a new Sprint IP number. Until a decision is made on whether Sprint will remain in the IP Relay business, no further action can be taken to enroll new users. I apologize for the confusion.

Sherri
Sprint Relay Customer Service

WTF I hope sprint doesn't go under that'll leave me absolutely no options if I have to make a phone call. At least nowadays I can talk with tech support online using web chat so hopefully I won't need to resort to phone calls.

This may be your wake up call. I knew this is going to happen.

Thanks a bunch to John TC Yeh! He is still in Fed prison in pennsylvania.

Once Sprint get out, there may never again have IP relay. Who is going to be willing risk start up new IP relay service after history showing too many IP relay had gone out of business within few years of time frame.

VRS is not immune, and may affect them, only time will tell. And how much Deaf people proactive on advocate fair payment to VRS from FCC. Have to be reasonable, and realistic. The rate I see right now is below realistic, and will hurt more down the road if nothing is done.

at this time, Sprint is undergoing a process with the FCC to make a decision on whether we can remain in the Sprint IP Relay business at all. We hope a decision is made in the coming weeks; however, until that time a decision is made, we are unable to process any new Sprint IP registrations. Even though you may have begun the process to register for Sprint IP, there are several steps involved before either porting an existing number or obtaining a new Sprint IP number. Until a decision is made on whether Sprint will remain in the IP Relay business, no further action can be taken to enroll new users. I apologize for the confusion.

Sprint may not still be in business either, so heads up for those who are dependent on ip relay (like myself). That was the emailed message I got from Sprint customer service.

oh I didn't see Sares posted the same thing. heh, sorry. but this sucks! now what am I gonna do for a phone number? I don't use VRS, have no use for it really. grrrr at FCC

Purple had a link for a video explaining why i711/IP-Relay being discontinued, says same thing. FCC wants them to monitor all calls to get reimbursement for services but Purple feel it is a violation of privacy for their customers.

Purple's video on youtube (unlisted): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZX5X2cv5E
transcript available in Info area.

WTF? Thanks for the information, damn it and if thats true, its outrageous... man! FCC sounded like tyranny already. Way beyond acceptable! :shock:

Agreed. Makes me respect Purple little more to take moral stand and to put us ahead of making money.

It made me angry. I feel that the scammers had faked his or her addresses on their registration before they started to threaten call some businesses on IP-Relay or i711. Some businesses found out they got fraud from the scammers. That why they were unaware of them did it on IP-Relay or i711. I am pissed off on them.

I got the same email. Right now IP relay was the only one I was using, so this sucks.

Really not happy about the IP Relay disaster! ..... I don't sign so IP Relay was my main source. I am looking at Ultratec - Compact C TTY, Closed Captions by Purple or Hampton Captel. Any thoughts would be great. ... Caption Call stinks it only gets 50% of the conversation.

Like I said in the past; where in heck is our representative at the FCC? He's not doing a good job lately. :mad:

to me from the FCC

Miss Sares B

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding IP Relay service. On October 15, 2014, Purple Communications, Inc. notified the FCC that it will cease providing IP Relay service as of 5 p.m. EST on November 14, 2014. At present, Sprint remains a provider of IP Relay service.

The FCC is aware that IP Relay service is essential to many consumers who use relay services to communicate over the phone and that it is the only method of placing and receiving telephone calls for some of these consumers. Unfortunately, IP Relay service has been subject to significant fraud and abuse in recent years, totaling millions of dollars. The FCC’s efforts to protect these services for all consumers by eliminating this fraud and abuse has resulted in several providers terminating their provision of this service. Following the latest voluntary departure from the market by Purple, the FCC is working around the clock to ensure that consumers continue to have full access to IP Relay service in a manner that does not encourage IP Relay misuse by illegitimate users. In addition, we are actively exploring options to ensure that people who are deaf-blind continue to have accessible ways to use this service.

Finally, we wish to dispel any rumors that the FCC has ever required any TRS provider to disclose the content of what is said during any TRS call, including any IP Relay conversation. The FCC has strict rules guaranteeing both the confidentiality of all calls and the privacy of caller information, and we will continue to enforce those rules as they apply to IP Relay or any other form of TRS.

We thank you for bringing to our attention your concerns about IP Relay service. We will continue our work to find options to keep this service up and running in a manner that meets the communications needs of all individuals who need it.

Best Regards,

Federal Communications Commission
CGB/Disability Rights Office

Back