Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

ambrosia

Premium Member
Reaction score
New Closed-Captioning Glasses Help Deaf Go Out To The Movies : All Tech Considered : NPR

I have yet to find a theater that offers anything more than a set of headphone for the HoH. I've seen glasses like these mentioned on here before but they don't have them around me. This is good new though!! They're distributing them to 6000 theaters across the country, I'll have to find out if there's a Regal Cinamea by me :)

I just checked their website for a theater ner me, and nope :( I sad now, got all excited for a second there.

May 27, 2013 Tidbits - YouTube

(from 6:00 to 12:20 in the video) - The vlogger said that there are only 10 glasses available per cinema. He went to one with his friend and found out that the glasses are not available for them because 10 people used it at that time. That sucks. It's not worth it.

May 27, 2013 Tidbits - YouTube

(from 6:00 to 12:20 in the video) - The vlogger said that there are only 10 glasses available per cinema. He went to one with his friend and found out that the glasses are not available for them because 10 people used it at that time. That sucks. It's not worth it.

Really?? I can't imagine 10 people needing them all at once, what would be the chances of going to the movies when an entire group of HoH/deaf go to the movies? That's not that many of us really. They don't have these theaters by me anyway :( hopefully eventually it will be a standard.

I got the chance to try them twice (Obilivion and Star Trek) and I have to say it's a good compromise. I still prefer open captions but it beats rear window mirror captions by a mile. For one thing I don't have to sit still and I could even be looking at the ceiling and I'll STILL see the captions.

Even when I had to take an emergency piss break I could still follow along. (Yes I was at the urinal watching the captions :laugh2: )

I didn't have a problem getting one. I'm going to check out Star Trek: Into Darkness 3D with them and maybe Fast and Furious 6.

I can see a problem if you go with an ASL group or something, but you can certainly call or relay ahead and ask.

sadly they only limit 10 glasses per cinamea. If they ran out of glasses then too bad. Come back later! They will not provide open captions. This sucks.

I don't think any movies theaters where I lives have CC. I do not go to movies any more , I refuse to pay $12 and not be able to enjoy a movie.

I can understand this , why should we have to wear glasses and be labeled as hoh or deaf so everyone will know it.

LOL For me, I don't care if they look at me as a Deaf person. I don't like wearing anything on my face when I want to watch the movies. I like to relax without worrying if I break anything that has sitting on my face. lol

I had tried to wear Sony glasses with my prescription glasses in first time but my eyes were strain and vision was blurred. Not so worth about it. I wait to get online torrent movies w/ subtitle in few month ago.

sadly they only limit 10 glasses per cinamea. If they ran out of glasses then too bad. Come back later! They will not provide open captions. This sucks.
Why would I come back later when hearing people don't have to come back? Screw them!

I hated the glasses. Would rather wait for the DVD

That's how I usually feel about it, but it'd be nice to see some movies on the big screen, get the full special effects....and I don't mean 3D! I don't feel like I'm missing out there ;)

Plus it would be nice to go to the movies with my kids :) I think the last movie I saw at the theater was the first Sherlock Holmes, and only because my husband twisted my arm. I understood not one word of that movie. He never understood, and would always get annoyed with me, that I'm being antisocial with my own family.....he just didn't understand how freaking BORING it is to watch a movie...and just watch it, have no idea what people are saying.

Try going to see the Blair Which Project, two hours of the screen going up and down. Not good.

That's how I usually feel about it, but it'd be nice to see some movies on the big screen, get the full special effects....and I don't mean 3D! I don't feel like I'm missing out there ;)

Plus it would be nice to go to the movies with my kids :) I think the last movie I saw at the theater was the first Sherlock Holmes, and only because my husband twisted my arm. I understood not one word of that movie. He never understood, and would always get annoyed with me, that I'm being antisocial with my own family.....he just didn't understand how freaking BORING it is to watch a movie...and just watch it, have no idea what people are saying.

Does he understand now or still not understand?

Does he understand now or still not understand?

OH I left his ass :D
He'd get mad too when I didn't want to go outside when he had a fire with the kids, I usually would until it got dark. Trying to lip read in the dark is just impossible, and he refused to learn ASL with me. So yeah, I'm going to want to sit and stare at fire while you guys are all talking and laughing, and I'm wondering what's going on....and getting eaten by bugs. The last couple years we were together my hearing got a lot worse, and he just couldn't adapt, and would get at mad at me for being "in my own little world", being self absorbed etc etc etc.

Ambrosia,

Come up to Western NY, we'll go to Regal Cinema together! :lol: You can bring your kids. We'll test out those glasses and see how they really work for us.

Funny reading your comments about your ex-husband as that's my biggest fear with women.

I have gone to the movies with my daughter and her friends (Wreck it Ralph, Calvin and the chipmunks), but never once was able to enjoy it because of the lack of open captions. I have never gone to a movie theater that actually had open caption. As I just recently learned it can be turned on or off at the movie theaters. Just not in 3D, but like you I could care less about 3D. Give me too much of a headache, personally.

I already deal with not being able to follow conversations with 'so called' friends I have. Funny thing is, I always invited myself to their parties. I haven't seen any of them over a year, and they never once asked if I'd like to join them. Seems I need a new set of friends who wouldn't mind calling me for once and say 'Hey we going out tonight, wanna come?'

So tired of being left out. My mother's biggest fear is I will isolate myself from every single person around me. Seems it's coming true. Nobody ever seems to understand and bitches when I don't 'get with the program'.

Back