Hearing service dog

I got all kind reactions from people some negative and positive . There will always be that feel dogs do not belong in grocery stores or restaurants . If people did not see Finlay and I walk into a restaurant most of the they did not even know my dog was there . He laid under the table if was big enough or I would find a table that had room for my dog to lay down and not be
in people ways. You should never feed your hearing dog while eating at home b/c you DO NOT want your dog to get into the habit of begging for food
at the table . The dog can't do that while eating out. Every service dogs
agencies has their own training program , I got my dog from NEADS and I had to stay there for a week to learn how to become a team with my dog. We went into stores and took walks and learned how get our dogs to pee and poop on demand . We got tested on this. One the last day of training we had to going into a grocery and pretend to go shopping and push shopping cart while walking our hearing dog . One of the woman dog took a poop in the store and she did not pass the test . We had to get our dog to poop and pee
before we went into the store. Finlay and I passed all of our tests . Then we went back home for a week to see how we got along on our own . After week was up we all went back to NEADS and told how we did and if we wanted to keep our dogs . As you know I kept my hearing dog. You'll run into people that want to pet your dog with asking if it's OK. I had this happen to me a lot .
You need to be very firm and say "NO" I was out with Finlay and he was in full uniform some guy walked by and tried to pet my dog on his head and I pushed the guy hand and said "NO!" The jerk got mad at me of all thing and I said to the guy " Do you like people petting you on you head while working?"
He said nothing and walked away . People should never try to pet a strange dog on it head no matter how welled trained it's.
Your service dog agency will have it own training program and I know the moment your see your hearing dog is going to love at first sight . It was with Finlay .

Thanks again Whatdidyousay! I'm told I'll travel to California for two weeks of "team training". The first few days will be spent matching a dog's temperament/abilities/personality to my own, and after that I'll work one-on-one with the dog assigned to me to get him/her specifically trained to my needs. Seems to me that "team training" will be a quite involved process (and rightfully so) - 6 days a week, full work days with homework and "tests" to boot!

Thanks Lau! I'm told that the college I'm going to be attending is very receptive to SDs. (The disability culture there, in general, is great, which is one of the reasons why I elected to go there.) The coordinator of disability services there says that he has met with city officials and local business owners about a variety of disability-related issues, service dogs being one of them. He says that he has been met with nothing but positivity during these conversations and promises to "take care of it" if I should have any negative run-ins while out and about. So it's definitely comforting to know I'm headed into that sort of atmosphere.

Trust me, the dog will have NO lack of love coming from me! I am SOOOO excited to have a pet for the first time in my life and I have always wanted a Golden (which is the breed that the agency I'm going through uses).

This is not a 'pet' it's a hearing dog , there is a big difference between the two. Some vets give discounts to people that have service dogs , I went to 2 vets that did this . So you should really be sure to let vets know you have a
hearing dog and see if they'll give a discount for yearly checkup. And you should not have to pay for your dog tags you get that your city or town hall .

This is not a 'pet' it's a hearing dog , there is a big difference between the two. Some vets give discounts to people that have service dogs , I went to 2 vets that did this . So you should really be sure to let vets know you have a
hearing dog and see if they'll give a discount for yearly checkup. And you should not have to pay for your dog tags you get that your city or town hall .

I'll be sure to do that! And I wasn't trying to imply that the hearing dog would be a pet - sorry, bad choice of words on my part.

I'll be sure to do that! And I wasn't trying to imply that the hearing dog would be a pet - sorry, bad choice of words on my part.

I just want you be sure to let people know you have a hearing dog so you will be able to get discounts from vets and not have trouble bringing your hearing dog into stores etc. There will be people asking you about your dog . My hearing dog had 'Hearing Dog' printed on this vest ,collar and leash and people would ask me if I was 'blind' . :roll:

Back