Heavy sleeper!!!

Condor1970

Reaction score
Ok, my daughter is almost fully deaf, and to top it off, she is a heavy sleeper. I'm talkin' you could crash a 747 into a nitroglycerin plant, and she might actually roll over in response (typical teenager).

Ok, it's not that bad, but getting her up for school is a real chore for the Mrs and I.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Pebble watch. I like how we can use her phone to send signals and messages to it. I am wondering if using the alarm is enough vibrations to wake up someone who tends to sleep pretty heavy. Is it?

I know of lots of alarm clock apps, that have vibrate. When your phone vibrates, would it make the watch vibrate too?

Also, is there something we can also synch Pebble into our doorbell? It would be nice if she knew to answer the door when someone is there.

I know Sonic alert makes a clock that you can plug a lamp into, but it only comes in white, and she hates white.

Any ideas?

You could get a flashing light to hook up a telephone and put it in her bedroom and use your cell phone to give your daughter a 'wake up' call .

I am also a very heavy sleeper and the flashing light wake me up. I got mine from my phone company for free.

The phone in her room is a cordless extension.

I wonder if there is an app that will will flash the light on her phone really bright. I think there is. That's a good idea.

I know the sonic alarm clock has an outlet for her desk light, but she doesn't like white. Shame it only comes in white.

I wonder if there is an app that will will flash the light on her phone really bright. I think there is. That's a good idea.

I know the sonic alarm clock has an outlet for her desk light, but she doesn't like white. Shame it only comes in white.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-SBH400ss-Sweetheart-Vibrating-Alarm/dp/B000LDNTT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422075745&sr=8-1&keywords=sonic+boom+sweetheart&pebp=1422075752990&peasin=B000LDNTT0[/ame]

Pink with built in alert lights.

Or you could get alarm the shake her bed .

Get the white one, some painters tape and spray paint (they make it for plastic anymore). Tape off the face using part of an old plastic bag cut to size. Also cover any control knobs. Spray the paint on maybe using more than one coat drying in between coats.

I have a place in my kitchen where I can plug in a clock up high. But electric clocks are getting rare. I found one at a rummage sale that was brown but my kitchen is mostly yellow and gray. I used the above method on it and it is doing fine.

Also, I personally like the flashing light method for an alarm.

I'm surprised they don't have the black anymore for the Sonic Boom alarm clock...That's what color mine is (but then I got it as a gift back in 2000 lol).

hmm..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonic-alert-sonic-boom-alarm-clock-black/9446913.p?id=1218105506498&

I can't seem to find one WITHOUT the bed shaker included...
ah. yep- only white (yuck)
http://www.sonicalert.com/Combination-Alarm-Clock-p/sb1000.htm

wow... most of the alarm clocks now are mainly the bed shaker type and don't allow for just flashing light... and with only one color choice for the one I have...kind of sucks. Glad mine still works! I have an even older alarm clock before Sonic Alert came along that had only one input (either shaker or lamp).

I prefer vibration for alarm clock over the light flashes. I slept through it anyway. You can type Google.
Or
Check https://www.harriscomm.com

I respond faster to the light than someone tapping on me so I wonder if vibration would work for me. I spelt over my sister's house and she woke me up by tapping on my hand a thousand times and man I woke up in a real bad mood. I hate being tapped on when I am awake and even more when I am sleeping .

I have the Wake Assure by Ameriphone that vibrates my bed, flashes bright light and have volume and tone adjustable alarm. You can use all 3alarm features together or individually. I also am a very sound sleeper so I have it set to all 3. Works well.

I have the Silent Call system that is wireless flashers you can not miss as they are so bright that lets me know if the phone rings, doorbell rings, fire detector goes off or Carbon monoxide detector goes off so I feel safe at all times. It is a great system. You never miss someone at the door again. Thankfully I have never needed the fire alarm.

I also have a VibraLite watch which vibrates all my alarms I have to remind me to take medication. It has an enlarged face with larger numbers for visually impaired. It is a bit heavy and big to wear but once you get used to it, it works great to never miss pills or whatever you have it set for. Just thought I would mention what I use.

Either Phillips HUE or Phillips HUE LUX will do. They can be used with just anything, including alarm clock, kitchen timer, can work with smoke detector/Carbon monoxide alarm, VP, E mail alert, appointment reminder, etc All in one using smartphone.

I do use them for kitchen, when I cook, set timer on and I can be anywhere in the house and knowing when time is up for cooking. How convenient!

The difference between HUE and HUE LUX is that HUE alone means it can be programmed with millions of different colors, while HUE LUX is just warm white, no color in it. Phillips HUE LUX costs $99 for 3 bulbs, and a bridge kit.

Phillips product DOES work with other brand too, like Iris, Nest, etc.

mine has strobe light and bed shaker,so many best to google you get better idea..i not like being shaken to wake up either, Is she use to you getting her up so not bothered with time,lots teenagers like that,i was

Ok, my daughter is almost fully deaf, and to top it off, she is a heavy sleeper. I'm talkin' you could crash a 747 into a nitroglycerin plant, and she might actually roll over in response (typical teenager).

Ok, it's not that bad, but getting her up for school is a real chore for the Mrs and I.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Pebble watch. I like how we can use her phone to send signals and messages to it. I am wondering if using the alarm is enough vibrations to wake up someone who tends to sleep pretty heavy. Is it?

I know of lots of alarm clock apps, that have vibrate. When your phone vibrates, would it make the watch vibrate too?

Also, is there something we can also synch Pebble into our doorbell? It would be nice if she knew to answer the door when someone is there.

I know Sonic alert makes a clock that you can plug a lamp into, but it only comes in white, and she hates white.

Any ideas?

I use the Pebble and love it! You can set 4 alarms without even having to use the app. I only have to charge it once a week. It wakes me up fine, but I do set 3 alarms 15 minutes apart just to be on the safe side. Best part is you can buy it at Best Buy. If it doesn't work for her, just return it!

Now for the doorbell question, there are actually several ways to make the pebble notify for doorbell and almost anything else. It all takes a bit of work and technical know how though. The easiest way is to use home automation equipment like Insteon, Vera (VeraEdge), Smartthings, Lowe's IRIS, etc… You can set those systems up to send alerts via text message for almost anything! So she would have to have he pebble in range of the phone 30' to get the alerts, but it works! For the doorbell, you can modify a door/window transmitter with a relay in place of the magnetic read switch. Then the coil of the relay would hook to the power in your doorbell chime. When the doorbell rang, the relay would open the contact on the door/window transmitter and send her a text. Mine will also text me if there is a fire or carbon monoxide. That is nice if I'm awake, but since a text only vibrates once, it wouldn't wake me up. For night, I added a 85db siren right at my headboard and my bedroom lights turn on :) You could also have smoke, fire, or anything activate a bed shaker, turn on lights, etc..

Smartthings is probably the easiest to get started with, but Insteon has an I/O link module which makes custom setups for doorbell and other things easier. Lowe's Iris has a low cost cellular backup, so it will send alerts even if your main internet or power is out. With any of the home automation systems, you could also have them turn on her room lights at set times.

Back