Closed Captioned Glasses and Regal Cinemas

You know, if they don't already use them, these glasses would be really good for audio presentations at museums. You walk up to an exhibit with the glasses on and you get CC. I think that is a great solution.

Captiview is my favorite. one version has red text and a similar one has white text. I prefer the white text being red green colorblind. red is a bit hard to see. I have seen a few movies with the glasses including a 3D one and the insert for 3d goes onto the glasses. All the AMC theaters I have gone to use a version of the Captiview...
CaptiView | Doremi Labs – Technology leadership for Digital Cinema
images

Captionfish lets you search all movies nationwide by movie or by type of caption device they use with show times...
Captionfish: A captioned movies search engine
click on filter and u can select the type of captioning u r wanting
already :) theatre my galaxy doesn't work. it is system hmm odd. I told guy cc problem!

You know, if they don't already use them, these glasses would be really good for audio presentations at museums. You walk up to an exhibit with the glasses on and you get CC. I think that is a great solution.

Or, you know, you just get the transcript printed on paper. Cheaper, same information. There's really no reason to have it on glasses. It's not like you need to keep up with action when looking at a painting like you do in a movie. Plus, most museums now, when they have video exhibits, already caption them. The Field Museum in Chicago has been doing that since the 90s.

Or, you know, you just get the transcript printed on paper. Cheaper, same information. There's really no reason to have it on glasses. It's not like you need to keep up with action when looking at a painting like you do in a movie. Plus, most museums now, when they have video exhibits, already caption them. The Field Museum in Chicago has been doing that since the 90s.

Interesting. I will look into it.

yep. NYC museums have that. Recently - my friend and I went to Discovery museum in Times Square for LEGO & Human Body exhibitions. They have a binder of transcripts ready for deaf people.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaq3_APgI4Q"]Disappointed with Sony closed-captioning glasses! - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for posting that Paul. That was interesting.

Technology isn't perfect but we've come a long ways and still have long ways to go.

I do use caption glasses at regal I do asked movie manager for that because I'm deaf I wanted to understand says in movie whether caption glasses or 3D yeah my nose get hurt I know how far and near the movie..before caption glasses I don't understand in movie expect no caption at movie but I'm happy have regal get caption glasses..

I used Captiview at my theatre and I liked it. Minus the little glitches here and there... it was fine. The text is green but that's alright. Sometimes the Captiview would stop midsentence from what the actor is saying... but oh well.
I never used the glasses and I doubt I ever will because 1) We don't have them here. And 2) I have to wear my glasses or else I won't be able to see anything w/o them. I also can only see out of one eye so... no Caption Glasses for me.

Colorado used to have closed captioned in movie theaters but not anymore so its better than nothing just wait get it when out red box or netflix

Sent from my Z995 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Slightly uncomfortable with glasses too.
They are great though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I have not been in movie theater in years, I had Open Caption a few times I went in. Not every movie theaters offer the captioning devices for the Deaf people.

Now if they can make those while people are talking to you when you're in public life would get a lot easier people who became deaf.

i hate the glasses kind... feels oppressed - nerdy, uncomfortable etc. right now we have a movement here in rochester where we can watch open captions oin the screen and we have one guy doing weekly emails with the local theater to see which movies we want to watch. the regal would send out 3 movies options which oines we want watch and he would put it out on facebook as a poll and we would vote. the highest voted movies is the one that gets shown in open captions. this guy started a movement by telling the theater that we dont like glasses and what do you do if there is not enough glasses to go around. we staged a protest by having over 10 people to show up several times asking for glasses and when the theater got overwhelmed ,they had no choice but try to accomodate the request for open captions movies.

The glasses are okay.. they're heavier and a bit of a pain when you already wear glasses. But I'll take 'em over having nothing. Means more to me that I go to the movies with my aunt as she doesn't like to go alone.

And since I live in a town/city that doesn't seem to have many deaf people it's not a huge issue... I know there are some as I've seen the log in list lol. What's cool though is they know me on sight and sometimes have it out and ready for me lol.

What about the ones that fit in the cup holder? I prefer it over the glasses. It is still annoying in that it is hard to make it stay in a comfortable spot where I can still see the screen and caption at the same time. A lot of times they prefer to give you the glasses. I dislike the idea of the glasses. I already have a hearing device and the glasses are uncomfortable to wear plus the glasses have a cable running out of it...so uncomfortable. One time they tried to tell me the cup holder wasn't working and gave me the glasses, but it wasn't working, so they gave me the cup holder closed caption ha! I read this article saying that the cup holder captions are a distraction....really? The eyeglasses looks weird because they don't look like regular eyeglasses and it can still be distracting.

"This is a big moment for the deaf, many of whom haven't been to the movies in a long time. Captioned screenings are few and far between, and current personal captioning devices that fit inside a cup holder with a screen attached are bulky, display the text out of their line of vision to the screen, and distract the other patrons."
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...ioning-glasses-help-deaf-go-out-to-the-movies

One time there was open caption theater where there were two other people, and they left shaking their head saying it has captions. I preferred this over any device. I can't believe it's really that annoying. So interpreters are annoying, our hearing devices are annoying, accents are annoying, so everything's annoying and distracting. Nothing is good enough for the hearing people.

I was thinking they should have a section of seats with captions on the back of seats, so it will be more discreet.

I haven't tried the cup holder one yet to see if I'd like it but it seems like I'd have to look down look up whereas with the glasses the caption and the movie are in the same place straight ahead lol. Once nice thing about the glasses is that if I can't read the captions on a very light part of the scene I just move my head a little to a darker part lol.

I haven't been to an open captioned movie...in decades. Only once or twice at Gallaudet- I don't think I ever went to one in Colorado.

Back