Med-el opus 2

DizzyDon62

Reaction score
I thought I would let people know MED-EL has brought out an upgraded coil for the OPUS 2 Processor they did this to increase the life of the batteries. I received mine last Thursday and I am still using the same batteries this new coil has almost doubled there life, all I can say is that I am impressed. I am not sure if this coil is available in the US right now you would have to check with your Audi and it is a $800.00 CDN upgrade here in Canada but disability covered mine.

Have a great day all

Last edited:
Good to know...if it is an upgrade does that mean that new implantees will still get the old one by default unless you are willing to pay for the upgrade??

I am slated for surgery on April 14th, so I should be getting the external bits roughly mid-May.

I would think in your case it will include the upgraded coil but I will check with the MED-EL rep in Toronto tomorrow for you.

That would be awesome...thanks Don. I am not sure if my external equipment would be already on order or not....I wont receive it for almost 2 months.

I did have to pick my "colour" at my last appt in TO.

She told me all new processors coming 1n to Canada from Austria include the new upgraded coil. There are so many colours to choose from these days compared to 3.5 years ago when I had to make my choice ,blue. Make sure you order the rechargeable battery kit at the same time if your going through ADP they do make a difference I use the rechargeable batteries when I am at home. I also use the Phonak Smartlink + with mine as you know are chances of getting a second implant is next to nothing and this helps me out a great deal even with the BluTooth ADP covered that as well.

Have fun picking out your colour and best of luck with the surgery

Don

Thanks for looking into that for me...I am going to email the Audiologist at Sunnybrook just to confirm that I am in fact getting that upgraded coil. I would imagine that each unit is custom ordered right from Austria and that they dont have a pile of them lying around, especially with the wide range of colours they now have....

I ended up picking grey as I am not a bright orange or baby blue kinda guy....but definitely for kids or more exciting people than me...the colour variety is great.

I will also have to ask if they will be providing the rechargeable battery with it. As far as I understand the process, as this is my first processor, OHIP will be picking up the tab. Then down the road when I need to replace/upgrade then I will go through ADP....am I understanding that correctly??

I will have to look up the Smartlink....is that just a bluetooth adapter for the CI??

First off they are custom ordered from Austria as there very costly to have sitting around in stock. I think ADP is involved from the start you should check that out I know the Ontario Gov. covers batteries for CIs but your Audi will help you with all of this.

Good Luck, Don

Back