Do you allow your kids use iPad?

PinkyZebra

Reaction score
I let him use my iPad for preschool apps, rainbow reading, oral motor to help him develop his speech because he is hearing, learning sign languages apps. He love to play the games apps, drawing and arts on iPad. He is crazy about learn US map and world geography on iPad. I've heard about all school communities are allowed kids use iPads for their school. Some parents were argue with school over iPad. They were not good to know how to use iPad for kids's homework on iPad. They were complained about iPad is not safe for kids. They like to be old fashion way to use paper and pencil at school.

My son's brain sponge to learn math, spelling, world maps, science and reading. Wow he is better than I did when I was kid. LoL it is new generation in 21 century.

A great game for learning your states in the USA is.......iteachStates
Sorry I don't know how to actually post the link. It's a great refresher for adults too.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of adults those kids will grow up to be growing up with technology.

My son will be 4 soon, got his own iPad for christmas and I dont even know how to use it... but he can navigate to whatever he wants. Mom downloaded all these learning apps for him and he knows how to access netflix and others to watch his cartoons and learning shows... (LeapFrog, ect...) He is extremely smart for his age already.

My grandson, who is only 18 months, has one (no surprise as my SIL lives & breathes Apple :D ). He has an app where he moves the letters to correct spaces to spell words. Like the wooden boards with the letters cut out. He's very quick with it. Right now I'm sure it's just recognizing the shapes, but isn't that what reading is? :)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

My son and my roommate's daughter make movies with themselves as the actors out of her iPad. Some of them are hilarious. :)

A great game for learning your states in the USA is.......iteachStates
Sorry I don't know how to actually post the link. It's a great refresher for adults too.

Iteachstates is an apps right? My son is using US states slack and the world slack. That is very easy games for him to learn so quickly.

My son will be 4 soon, got his own iPad for christmas and I dont even know how to use it... but he can navigate to whatever he wants. Mom downloaded all these learning apps for him and he knows how to access netflix and others to watch his cartoons and learning shows... (LeapFrog, ect...) He is extremely smart for his age already.

My son is 4 years old. We got our first iPad during Japan Tsumani and iPad 2 released at Apple store day. My son was first time to play with iPad with colors and shapes age 19 months old. I was surprise that he know how to take a picture with camera himself. Also he know how to use video. Oh boy! He is so brilliant. He love to watch his favorite kids show on netflix. He is playing with earth google and google map on iPad. He always ask me what is that and where is the place coming from. LoL He know all the World flags colors.

I'm surprised that so many kids can afford iPads. (Maybe the US economy is in better shape than thought.) I can't even afford to get a new smart phone (still got the old Blackberry). :lol:

All the little people in our family use these, and I am firmly convinced that they are much smarter than previous generations.

It brings all the learning opportunities free or very cheaply to the masses, whereas before it was much more an elite thing for kids to have the opportunity to learn so much so young.

I'm surprised that so many kids can afford iPads. (Maybe the US economy is in better shape than thought.) I can't even afford to get a new smart phone (still got the old Blackberry). :lol:

It's just a matter of priorities.

I don't have a Honda Goldwing, or any guns, but I have an iPad.

All the little people in our family use these, and I am firmly convinced that they are much smarter than previous generations.

It brings all the learning opportunities free or very cheaply to the masses, whereas before it was much more an elite thing for kids to have the opportunity to learn so much so young.

I think they are "Book Smart" but not economically smart... some kids are smart as a whip on computers but they have no idea how to make anything...either it be cooking or building/fixing anything... I know a few. My son, I am involving him with hands on with me, we cook dinner together and make things, he has fun mixing and all. The others I know, reach in the freezer, set a timer and done. wow. sadly.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of adults those kids will grow up to be growing up with technology.

That is right. I was born in 1981. In my experience of isolate without internet, technology, social networking,smartphone, ipads. I remember I was first exposed to screenwriter with old typewriter with print paper roll at 5 year girl. I went to my neighborhood and play with it. So my parent decided to purchased me a typewriter with keyboard and print. My first received a CC when i was 7 years old in 1989. I used to write a letters with my friends with snail mail back and fourth. My first time to use computer with IBM and Apple at pre school. I started a video game at age 5 years old. I never know about TTY until I joined to Deaf school. So my dad bought a tty for me to communicate with my parent over talk through relay. My dad got his first laptop when I was 13 years old. My first time to get a WebTV at 17 years old. My first time to get Sidekick in late 2003. It's changing my life through without internet. I got my first VP in 2005. I can't image to live without internet and technology for new generations. I believe that in 00's and 10's babies will be get better than we did in 20 century. These kids are lucky to have ipad and everything in the present time.

It's just a matter of priorities.
That's true. When my daughter was school age, we scraped by to be able to pay for her school tuition. It was very hard but worth it.

I don't have a Honda Goldwing, or any guns, but I have an iPad.
We don't have any children in school anymore, and our grandsons are college age. They don't have iPads but they do have smart phones and computers (which they build themselves). My daughter has an e-reader. I have a Polaroid mini-tablet that my brother gave me. We seem to do OK with iPads.

TCS and I didn't have any "stuff" really until we hit 50.

The public schools down here issue iPads to all the elementary students for classroom use, so their parents don't have to buy them. After a year of the original test program the schools found that the iPad students' grades didn't make much improvement, so the following year they ordered more iPads so all the students could have them.

The public schools down here issue iPads to all the elementary students for classroom use, so their parents don't have to buy them. After a year of the original test program the schools found that the iPad students' grades didn't make much improvement, so the following year they ordered more iPads so all the students could have them.

I don't think just giving a kid an iPad without the parents having some commitment to working with the child is going to have much effect.

I don't think just giving a kid an iPad without the parents having some commitment to working with the child is going to have much effect.
I think they are using them in the classrooms only.

I think they are using them in the classrooms only.

I don't really see that as useful. As an extra curricular I think there are many things to be learned outside the classroom, and long before they are eligible to attend school.

Lots of learning happens in good homes in my view.

I don't really see that as useful.
I don't either but they didn't ask me. :)

As an extra curricular I think there are many things to be learned outside the classroom, and long before they are eligible to attend school.

Lots of learning happens in good homes in my view.
Yes, but I don't think an iPad is necessary for that; nice, but not necessary.

I have to be limited for my son use my iPad with timer. I don't let him play with iPad all day. Did you know that kids got iPads from school? The school board paid for iPads to students?

I have to be limited for my son use my iPad with timer. I don't let him play with iPad all day. Did you know that kids got iPads from school? The school board paid for iPads to students?

No, not here. I know some places they did.

Back