OBD-II Bluetooth Adapter

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have seen several on Amazon.com and Ebay for less than $15, even some for less than $10. I have a check engine light on my car since couple of weeks. IT came on when the temperatures warmed up in the morning after a cold day. Check engine usually happens in spring time months on my car. It could be the atmospheric pressure affecting it. Most of the check engine light in the past usually is the O2 Sensor issues, I just reset it at the auto parts store. o2 sensors are pretty expensive to replace, anyhow. My car has 2 of them! I just want to do it myself and do it on someone's car if needed.

Friend of mine got Actron PockerScan reader. Not fancy but for around $50 it gets the job done for reading codes and resetting the error. All I know about the adapter is you'll need software on what ever your adapting to.

I have seen several on Amazon.com and Ebay for less than $15, even some for less than $10. I have a check engine light on my car since couple of weeks. IT came on when the temperatures warmed up in the morning after a cold day. Check engine usually happens in spring time months on my car. It could be the atmospheric pressure affecting it. Most of the check engine light in the past usually is the O2 Sensor issues, I just reset it at the auto parts store. o2 sensors are pretty expensive to replace, anyhow. My car has 2 of them! I just want to do it myself and do it on someone's car if needed.

Don't buy any things from Amazon or EBay cuz some OBDII scan tools can not do anything, get wrong DTCs ( Diagnose Trouble Code) or can't reading codes when MIL on.

What code u get? O2 sensor? P0171?

Friend of mine got Actron PockerScan reader. Not fancy but for around $50 it gets the job done for reading codes and resetting the error. All I know about the adapter is you'll need software on what ever your adapting to.

My latest scan tool is Autel 510A that works well as pretty but one trouble is I get false live stream data like I see Freeze Frame data, says coolant temperature was zero, then engine rpm was 1,500 with closed loop, made me no sense then turn ign off, disconnect cable from OBDII and replug it , got right data. I double check it after 2nd attempt to make sure the codes or datas are same as previous. Crap software in scan tool.

Yea, you sure get what you pay for :lol: Really any of the budget ones are a little hit or miss.

I ain't paying a lot for one. The reviews seem good on Amazon for the same thing on eBay. I got a smartphone to check it out with a software for free or small fee.

Don't buy any things from Amazon or EBay cuz some OBDII scan tools can not do anything, get wrong DTCs ( Diagnose Trouble Code) or can't reading codes when MIL on.

What code u get? O2 sensor? P0171?

I don't remember. Have you ever actually bought one from ebay or amazon and tried it yourself?

I think deafsmogtech was referring to the scan tools not the adapter you're looking at.

If the software is free you should try it out before you buy the adapter. That's probably what's gonna matter the most. For less than 20$ it's not like you'd be out a lot if it didn't work so well.

I don't remember. Have you ever actually bought one from ebay or amazon and tried it yourself?

I don't buy any ODBII Bluetooth adapters or scan tools from Amazon or Ebay. I've reading in somewhere that one tech talked about the OBDII Bluetooth adapter works with smart phone. I'm digging some information in technician forum later.

I think deafsmogtech was referring to the scan tools not the adapter you're looking at.

If the software is free you should try it out before you buy the adapter. That's probably what's gonna matter the most. For less than 20$ it's not like you'd be out a lot if it didn't work so well.

Be ware of scammer that who sell adapters that will not communicate with smart phone or can't read codes. Just saying...

Be ware of scammer that who sell adapters that will not communicate with smart phone or can't read codes. Just saying...

Always READ seller's feedback or review or item description FIRST before buy. Make sure seller sold over 1,000 items and 95% of positive feedback.

I use e-bay for over 10 years and use amazon for 3 years (buy and sell student book) and never had scam before.

Oh poor you. Learn more about internet security.

I remembered some idiot person bought a empty box for Xbox360. He paid $600 for it! He don't even read item description first and just hurry to click to buy it.

It's clear said.
"just the Xbox 360 home-made box. this box is great hand made by me says XBOX right on it It doesn't look anything like the picture I included in the auction. It looks much better, in my opinion"

Then buyer blamed to seller for scam and report to ebay. So ebay checked and seller was not scam since spec explained very clear. :lol:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25924-guy-sells-empty-xbox360-on-ebay-for-600-a.html

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

I use one for over 3 years and works great thru my old iPod, iPhone 4, and iPhone 5.

shot4.jpg

If you are on tight budget then just go to auto zone or advance auto parts for check engine and it's FREE.

I found some information from iATN forum.. Some technicians were discussing about Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, positive comments, ELM 327 are selling thru Amazon.
One other source is OBD2Cables.com
I remember I read "Torque App" in Auto Talk thread in the past. I think The Highlander posted it.

I found some information from iATN forum.. Some technicians were discussing about Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, positive comments, ELM 327 are selling thru Amazon.
I remember I read "Torque App" in Auto Talk thread in the past. I think The Highlander posted it.

Yeah, that's the kind I was looking for.. as most of them are that cheap. Other option is just go to auto parts store and have them check the code for it. I do wish older cars have built in LCD screen to check for fault codes than using external reader.

Super Mini ELM327 V1 5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD II Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool | eBay

It looks not bad and good price.

Yep, I recommend Torque Pro for Android user. Since there is a lot good reviews. I never try it before since I don't have Android and someday I will buy used Android without carrier for play around with apps.

No idea if it have freeze frame data or not.

Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) - Android

12,857 download and 5 out of 5 stars.

Both around $15.

If your budget is around $20, I highly recommend ELM327 adapter. Pocket scan tools that costs around $20, cannot do anything but show code numbers and clear check engine light. ELM adapters can do as much as middle price range of handheld scan tools can.
I have bought 3 vgate mini adapters from different sellers on ebay, and one of them was a defect. So, make sure return policy and seller's feedback. If you go amazon, bafx adapter (blue-label) seems safe to buy. Bluetooth OBD II adapter

If your budget is around $20, I highly recommend ELM327 adapter. Pocket scan tools that costs around $20, cannot do anything but show code numbers and clear check engine light. ELM adapters can do as much as middle price range of handheld scan tools can.
I have bought 3 vgate mini adapters from different sellers on ebay, and one of them was a defect. So, make sure return policy and seller's feedback. If you go amazon, bafx adapter (blue-label) seems safe to buy. Bluetooth OBD II adapter

Pocket scan tools are prefect gift for the vehicle owners. Pocket scan tool is easy to store in a glove box. Cute tiny pocket scan tool... I wish I buy it for my wife, I can teach her how to scanning her car.

Back