10 tricks for reducing your heating bill

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's how to keep your house warm without draining your wallet

High home-heating bills pack a real punch into household budgets across the United States each winter. They consistently pose a special challenge for people who rely on fixed incomes or live paycheck to paycheck.

At least there’s a little bit of good news this year: Many families are likely to see slight price breaks on their heating bills, especially if they use natural gas to heat their homes. The Energy Information Administration reported that this winter’s heating fuel costs should be $928 for the average household, down from $947 last winter.

But let’s face it: $928 is still a lot of money. If you’d like to reduce your heating bills even further this season, consider giving some of these free or low-cost tips a try.

1. Learn to love socks. If your feet are cold, your whole body will feel cold, so make a point of wearing socks around the house in the winter. The next step if you’re still feeling cold: Bundle up in a sweater or a blanket rather than cranking up the heat.

2. Tap heat that’s there anyway. There are plenty of activities you do around the house that generate warmth, such as cooking a meal or taking a shower. When you shower, keep the bathroom door open so steam spreads to other rooms, and don’t turn a ventilation fan on; it will rapidly remove the warm air you’re hoping to keep around.

3. Lower your thermostat. You likely won’t notice a huge difference if you turn it down just a few degrees, a move that can shave 5 percent to 10 percent off your heating bill. It’s especially wise to turn down the heat whenever you leave your home for several hours.

4. Watch that water heater. It’s also not likely to be noticeable if you turn down the thermostat on your water heater to, say, 120 degrees from about 140 degrees.

5. Consider a programmable thermostat. They cost between $30 and $100, but that’s money you’re sure to make back over the course of a year because your heating bills will drop. A programmable thermostat allows you to adjust the heat on a predetermined schedule, so you can lower the heat when you’re not home or when you’re sleeping.

6. Don’t let heat escape unnecessarily. Keep your doors and windows shut when the heat is on. If your home has a fireplace that you aren’t using, be sure the flue is closed and glass doors are in place to minimize heat loss. In addition to those bathroom ventilation fans, turn kitchen ventilation fans off when they aren’t needed.

7. Call for a checkup. Proper maintenance will help your heating unit run more efficiently. Electric and oil heaters should get professional attention at least once a year and gas heaters every other year. Also, here’s a step you can take all on your own: Remember to check the filters in your heating system and make sure they’re clean and clear. Dirty filters lead to higher heating costs.

8. Keep windows covered when it’s dark outside. This will help you reduce heat loss and keep cold air at bay, especially if you have older windows. But be sure to let in the light during the daytime — those rays of sun will help heat your home.

9. Explore outside. Check the exterior of your heating unit. Avoid stacking anything against the heat pump or draping anything over it. Hose the outside unit down to clear it of dirt, leaves and grass clippings. If your indoor unit appears to have excess water around it, see whether the condensate drain and pan are blocked.

10. Light a candle. Not for warmth, but for the purpose of doing a little sleuth work. Hold the flame near windows, doors and light fixtures and look for smoke moving in a horizontal direction. If you see it, that means you’ve spotted an air leak, and it likely means heat is escaping your home easily. To solve that problem, install some low-cost caulking or weather-stripping, or consider adding some insulating material.

10 Tips: Reduce your heating bill - 10 Tips - MSNBC.com

Thank you for good advices, I was planning to use less of my heaters in my house and just use something different that don't use the electric. I am trying hard to be enviroment friendly :)

Another way to stay warm in the winter....

:)

Have another human body next to you at night to generate heat! :naughty:

It's in the 90 degrees here this week. I'm not thinking about heating my house--I'm thinking about going to the beach!

We need tips on how to keep cool in the summer. :lol:

Thank you for the good advice. Winter will be here.

It's in the 90 degrees here this week. I'm not thinking about heating my house--I'm thinking about going to the beach!

You can always move to where I live. It's been only 60 degrees all this week with lows in the 50's at night.

Here's how to keep your house warm without draining your wallet

High home-heating bills pack a real punch into household budgets across the United States each winter. They consistently pose a special challenge for people who rely on fixed incomes or live paycheck to paycheck.

At least there’s a little bit of good news this year: Many families are likely to see slight price breaks on their heating bills, especially if they use natural gas to heat their homes. The Energy Information Administration reported that this winter’s heating fuel costs should be $928 for the average household, down from $947 last winter.

But let’s face it: $928 is still a lot of money. If you’d like to reduce your heating bills even further this season, consider giving some of these free or low-cost tips a try.

1. Learn to love socks. If your feet are cold, your whole body will feel cold, so make a point of wearing socks around the house in the winter. The next step if you’re still feeling cold: Bundle up in a sweater or a blanket rather than cranking up the heat.

2. Tap heat that’s there anyway. There are plenty of activities you do around the house that generate warmth, such as cooking a meal or taking a shower. When you shower, keep the bathroom door open so steam spreads to other rooms, and don’t turn a ventilation fan on; it will rapidly remove the warm air you’re hoping to keep around.

3. Lower your thermostat. You likely won’t notice a huge difference if you turn it down just a few degrees, a move that can shave 5 percent to 10 percent off your heating bill. It’s especially wise to turn down the heat whenever you leave your home for several hours.

4. Watch that water heater. It’s also not likely to be noticeable if you turn down the thermostat on your water heater to, say, 120 degrees from about 140 degrees.

5. Consider a programmable thermostat. They cost between $30 and $100, but that’s money you’re sure to make back over the course of a year because your heating bills will drop. A programmable thermostat allows you to adjust the heat on a predetermined schedule, so you can lower the heat when you’re not home or when you’re sleeping.

6. Don’t let heat escape unnecessarily. Keep your doors and windows shut when the heat is on. If your home has a fireplace that you aren’t using, be sure the flue is closed and glass doors are in place to minimize heat loss. In addition to those bathroom ventilation fans, turn kitchen ventilation fans off when they aren’t needed.

7. Call for a checkup. Proper maintenance will help your heating unit run more efficiently. Electric and oil heaters should get professional attention at least once a year and gas heaters every other year. Also, here’s a step you can take all on your own: Remember to check the filters in your heating system and make sure they’re clean and clear. Dirty filters lead to higher heating costs.

8. Keep windows covered when it’s dark outside. This will help you reduce heat loss and keep cold air at bay, especially if you have older windows. But be sure to let in the light during the daytime — those rays of sun will help heat your home. See Link 3M™ Window Films I use this window film to seal every window in the house. It prevent drafts through window and seal heat inside. I am experiencing sub 0 freezing every winter in Minnesota. Sometime down to -40 degrees. Its excellent for saving your heating bills anywhere that colder than 30 degree.

9. Explore outside. Check the exterior of your heating unit. Avoid stacking anything against the heat pump or draping anything over it. Hose the outside unit down to clear it of dirt, leaves and grass clippings. If your indoor unit appears to have excess water around it, see whether the condensate drain and pan are blocked. Look for drafts and seal it. Hole in wall, use foam or restructure the wall again. I often find it on door's borders. If you find cold draft, it will lower your temperature by 10 degree. So look for draft in the house.

10. Light a candle. Not for warmth, but for the purpose of doing a little sleuth work. Hold the flame near windows, doors and light fixtures and look for smoke moving in a horizontal direction. If you see it, that means you’ve spotted an air leak, and it likely means heat is escaping your home easily. To solve that problem, install some low-cost caulking or weather-stripping, or consider adding some insulating material. That what I was talking about #9 - drafts is the air leaks.

10 Tips: Reduce your heating bill - 10 Tips - MSNBC.com

I have added red as suggestion of how to resolve it.

Another tip = Add energy light bulbs. I have noticed the light bulb's brightness is different from regular bulbs and energy bulbs. Example, 60 watts regular light bulb is = to 90-100 watts energy bulb. But same energy level output and out last regular bulbs by few years.

Deaf Mortgage,

You take care of your home very well...

I have all double windows with thermal, heaters with thermal and roller shutters in my house and also 2 fireplaces as well. We also have energy light bulbs as well.

We love to lit the candles while we watch on TV...

Yes we wear socks when we are in the house... also sweater with jogging pants to keep us warm during winter time.

Yes, we programmed the thermostat...

I personally disagree on this.

Exactly

Here in Germany is obligation for twice check up a year accord envirnoment-friendly law.

Deaf Mortgage,

You take care of your home very well...

I have all double windows with thermal, heaters with thermal and roller shutters in my house and also 2 fireplaces as well. We also have energy light bulbs as well.

We love to lit the candles while we watch on TV...

Yes we wear socks when we are in the house... also sweater with jogging pants to keep us warm during winter time.

Yes, we programmed the thermostat...

I personally disagree on this.

Exactly

Here in Germany is obligation for twice check up a year accord envirnoment-friendly law.

:ty:

:lol:

Get Power Mac G4/G5 and use as heat, just left on for 24/7 hours.

Very good tips in this thread. I'll use those tips one day when I get my own home. :)

Another tip = Add energy light bulbs. I have noticed the light bulb's brightness is different from regular bulbs and energy bulbs. Example, 60 watts regular light bulb is = to 90-100 watts energy bulb. But same energy level output and out last regular bulbs by few years.
I bought an 8-pack of energy-saving light bulbs for $3 at Sam's Club a few days ago. :)

Back