AOL to offer Relay via AIM

NightwarriorJin

Reaction score
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/08/relay/
Great news for AIM member’s especially those with hearing and speech disabilities. America Online today announced AIM Relay Serves. AIM Relay Services "allows users who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech disabled to connect to a telecommunications relay service and place relay telephone calls right from their Buddy List." This new feature will of course be available in AIM, but also in Apple's iChat.

America Online Inc. on Thursday launched AIM Relay Services, which allow users who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech disabled to connect to a telecommunications relay service and place relay telephone calls right from their Buddy List. The new service works both with any computer or wireless device using AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and Apple's iChat software. AOL has established partnerships with relay service providers including MCI's IP-RELAY.com service and Hands On Video Relay Service.

Telecommunications relay services enable deaf and speech disabled users to communicate with others over a telephone. Normally, the disabled user inputs text using a TTY device attached to their telephone; a Relay Communications Assistant then places the phone call and reads that text to the person on the receiving end, typing their responses back to the disabled user. This new service lets disabled users leverage instant messaging technology to do the same.

I use www.sprintrelay.com for basically the same service. Have not used my tty in months. Plus I can make calls from work with the sprint relay just fine so I am never out of touch.

Yipeee!!!

Yeah, it's been in effect for a few weeks now. I have it on my buddylist -- ;) Haven't used it yet..just haven't had a reason to call my mum up yet! :lol:

PurpleRose71 said:
Yeah, it's been in effect for a few weeks now. I have it on my buddylist -- ;) Haven't used it yet..just haven't had a reason to call my mum up yet! :lol:

how do i have relay on my aim? whewre can I find it on it? Thanks...

I got one too!!!

racheal just simple do this go to ur setup +/- that is below the screen names on ur AIM ( u ll see that icon there) , then click ADD GROUP first set up say My phone..( make sure that MY phone is yellow highlighted So the directory for yr SN* will send the new screen name u want to put in will go there and not else where) then once u finish that go to ADD BUDDY type in MY IP RELAY when u finish cllick return to buddy list the MY IP RELAY will show up on the buddy list, when you want to make a call click in that SN and then type in CALL then call the nbr u want similar to relay itself then when u finish the call type in END CALL then close the IM window then ur done :) easy as 1 2 3 :)

* SN= Screen name

Last edited:
dhw5320 said:
I use www.sprintrelay.com for basically the same service. Have not used my tty in months. Plus I can make calls from work with the sprint relay just fine so I am never out of touch.

Yipeee!!!

Sprint Relay will release sidekick next month or september.

I'll have to agree with ideafspy on this!

Christo - is it confirmed? I assume they won't since they have partnered up with WyndTell/GoAmerica. I know both of Wyndtell and GoAmerica have that info on the sites but they had been around for a long time.

www.GoAmerica.com and www.WyndRelay.com

Also check www.FuseWireless.com/TTY - That info has been around for some months, but they won't say when it will be available.

Sprint has confirmed at the National Association of the Deaf conference that they will be releasing the Sidekick version of Sprint Relay. They already have pictures and showed a live demo at the conference.

It is "powered by GoAmerica" so whenever GoAmerica gets around to releasing it is when it'll be out. I'm assuming there are some bugs / issues that are needing to be ironed out, as GoAmerica does not run the Sidekick service, it only resells them from T-Mobile, vs. actually operating the system behind the Wyndtell pagers (RIM 850/857/950).

So, what pager do you want relay on? They told me to send an email to srw@goamerica.com for future pagers that you want relay released on. I put in my Treo 600!

Brian said:
I'll have to agree with ideafspy on this!

Christo - is it confirmed? I assume they won't since they have partnered up with WyndTell/GoAmerica. I know both of Wyndtell and GoAmerica have that info on the sites but they had been around for a long time.

www.GoAmerica.com and www.WyndRelay.com

Also check www.FuseWireless.com/TTY - That info has been around for some months, but they won't say when it will be available.

I found out from news http://www.hiptop.com/news/?news_id=182 about yahoo release coming soon and dont know when not sure

Dammed thieves!

This was my idea using AOL Instant messaging service as part of a TRS program 4 yrs ago and we even implimented it back then. The deafs were telling me this idea stank and pooh-poohed it off and stuff caused our agency to stop tying this idea out.

Now this happens! They stole my idea!

I'm gonna be talking to attorneys about this as soon as I come back from my vacation in August.

Richard Roehm

Last edited:
well one of friend has found this and suggest i try it which you can contact relay from anywhere on aim through computer, sidekick, or cell phone by add this screenname to your aim list

My IP Relay

more informations if you want to know how to use this by go to http://www.ip-relay.com/myiprelay.htm

For my opinion, I think it much easier than have go to relay site or call relay though phone but it much easier to use relay through aim and it very clear when talk to each other.

It is not only for cell phone but from anywhere even use on aim express, computer, sidekick, berry, any cell phone that has aim in it.

Nesmuth said:
Now this happens! They stole my idea!

Don't jump the gun on this one. AIM is a widely-used application. Used by millions and millions of people. Somebody is bound to come up with the idea itself sometimes. Relay itself isn't too uncommon, you know. It would be obvious that somebody would get the idea of putting it onto AIM or some other IM application.

Perhaps you should had pitched the idea to AIM when you first came up with it instead of typing it out in public, and letting people know what your ideas are. If you want to take the credits, you gotta keep it a secret till it's legally copyrighted and ready to be used by the public.

But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that somebody did in fact, steal your idea.

I ran a full media campaign including press releases etc.... Im gonna be pulling the archives and then deal with this.

Richard

My IP Relay in SMS?

Is there a way to use My IP Relay via SMS?

I have a pager that I can access AIM via the WAP Browser, but would like to find out if I can use SMS. (yes, there is a way to access AIM via SMS).

Thanks,

JSG
www.deafbiz.com

Any way that you can access AIM you can use relay, to my understanding.

Back