Top Deaf Schools?

Yiz? Marvin Miller?

That doesn't ring a bell with me. Dang, I wish I could remember the screen name. It will come to me before the day is over. Being extremely pissed right now is interfering with my concentration.

Wirelessly posted

Indiana, both California schools, Texas, and both Maryland schools.

Worst ones...Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas

Wirelessly posted

Indiana, both California schools, Texas, and both Maryland schools.

Worst ones...Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas

I know how you feel abt Arkansas School ....and I have a friend who attended Louisana School. Although it IS in the process of being revamped. I thought Mississippi School while not being a TLC was better then a mainstream sitution. Besides, public education in Misssissippi is supposed to be REALLY bad overall.
Kansas School for the Deaf, and Oregon School for the Deaf. Not to mention, St. Rita's. Has anyone noticed that the good deaf schools are the ones that are Hoh friendly? It's hard to label them, since most Deaf Schools are "last resort" placements for kids who weren't sucessful in the mainstream. Meaning the kids might be really really smart, but they're behind due to the fact they fell through the cracks.

Posts from hell - who are you? Are you from and/or in Indiana?

ISD sucks - too many rules in the dorms (twas why I quit the dorms in my sophomore year and became a day student), too many kids harassing and framing me, etc.

They really left a terrible taste and that's why it's very highly unlikely that I'd go back to the deaf community, ever.

ISD sucks - too many rules in the dorms (twas why I quit the dorms in my sophomore year and became a day student), too many kids harassing and framing me, etc.

They really left a terrible taste and that's why it's very highly unlikely that I'd go back to the deaf community, ever.

...Troll much? No...Cry too much?

Seriously, not all Deafies are like that. So chill.

There are reasons for the rules. If no rules, then the kids would run wild and that wouldnt be a good idea, wouldn't it?

As for kids harrassing you and framing you. It happens in mainstreaming programs, not just at Deaf schools. Agree that it shouldnt happen and there has been nationwide task forces being set up to tackle the bullying probllems in America's schools.

There are reasons for the rules. If no rules, then the kids would run wild and that wouldnt be a good idea, wouldn't it?

As for kids harrassing you and framing you. It happens in mainstreaming programs, not just at Deaf schools. Agree that it shouldnt happen and there has been nationwide task forces being set up to tackle the bullying probllems in America's schools.

Exactly!

I was bullied and harassed at OSD, yet I still support Deaf Schools, especially OSD. I think it might do with groups at any Deaf school because I was only one that I had much different interests from their interests. Maybe? But, I have to agree with the rules because of how kids misbehaved, which leads me to wonder if parents actually teach their kids how to behave themselves?

I strongly disagree with the "OMG, I am so much victimized! Let's blame the whole Deaf community/deaf schools/deaf culture!" mentality. Ridiculous. :roll:

YES, bullying is NOT limited to Deaf Schools. You have no idea how bad it is in hearing schools.....ugh.............

Ohio School for the Deaf

Hi,

We are being relocated from NJ to Columbus, OH. Our 3-year old currently goes to NJSD. Anyone have any experiences with OSD? Good, bad or any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi,

We are being relocated from NJ to Columbus, OH. Our 3-year old currently goes to NJSD. Anyone have any experiences with OSD? Good, bad or any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim

Kim, first of all good on you for sending your three year old to a Deaf School. jillo may know if its a decent school.....But overall the early childhood at deaf schools tend to rock, and tend to far outperform anything that can be offered at a mainstream school.

From my experience, the top Deaf schools would be MSD, TLC, TSD, CSDF, and FSDB.

I remember reading in a book published in the '80's that a parent was asked which of the deaf schools were good, and she named Clarke, CID etc....kind of funny that those oral schools aren't even on the board any more. ...Heck Clarke(meaning the Noho campus) is now super tiny...less then 10 dorm kids!

My ASL teacher says that CSDF is the top school in the nation.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks,

Kim

I asked, and was told that they both rank about the same in opinion, OSD and NJSD.

I asked, and was told that they both rank about the same in opinion, OSD and NJSD.

Which means? I'm guessing Typical Deaf School, where the early grades are really good, but it serves as one of those schools for kids who are really struggling in the maisntream? Damn if only we could reform the educational system and have parental self referrals be the norm across all the states that have Deaf Schools.

Back