Linux or Window Server/Host

Which one you prefer, Linux or Window Server/Host?

• Total voters

JoshieTheMan

Reaction score
Cast a vote for which one would you rather to use for the server/host, linux or window. And after you cast a vote, please state why.

I vote linux server, because they are simple and best, and blazing fast.

I have no vote yet. I am not sure about uncertain. I never install linux on my Dell Pc yet. I think Linux is cool because it have all messenger aim, msn, yahoo, Gtalk, Jabber, facebook, myspace and more. I am waiting for everyone to post and votes. I will figure it out.

I like linux host because it's cheaper and easier. it depends on the program. For example - if I need to do ASP, then I'll have to use windows.

Windows because developed by professionals and more reliable.

Linux seems amateur.

I have no vote yet. I am not sure about uncertain. I never install linux on my Dell Pc yet. I think Linux is cool because it have all messenger aim, msn, yahoo, Gtalk, Jabber, facebook, myspace and more. I am waiting for everyone to post and votes. I will figure it out.

OSX is best for messenger.

Adium - Download

Linux seems amateur.

I have to disagree with you, Linux is also developed by professionals too (think Redhat and Solaris for example).. I have been using FreeBSD for websites for past 12 years. Unix based (Linux/FreeBSD, etc) are MUCH more reliable and much higher uptime than Windows based webhost.

At my job, all of critical servers that process EVDO and Voice wireless calls are based on Redhat and Solaris (couples running HP Unix).. They do MUCH better job than Windows.. I have seen Windows Servers crash more often under heavy load than Unix based.

Lastly, Most linux OS are FREE and based on open-source which get bug fixes FASTER than Microsoft.

Linux seems amateur.

not at all. Linux is created by thousands and thousands of hardcore/professional programmers. The core of linux is developed by a few professional programmers. Many distros are developed by companies.

Windows are developed by poorly-managed teams of professionals. Look at MacOS X . It's based on UNIX (which Linux is based on as well) and it's far more robust and secured than Windows.

Linux because of the security and long uptimes stretching into months or over a year. Windows gets bogged down and needs to restart in a shorter time. It also needs to restart for updates often. Linux doesn't unless it's the operating system image. Other updates on Linux just happen without needing to restart everything. The graphic stuff isn't needed for servers and with Linux, it's easy to not load the unneeded stuff. With Windows, it makes you load stuff you don't need like the GUI.

I hope that people who vote understand that it's for the use of those operating system as servers, not as desktop systems because Linux had been a good server operating system for a long time. Now it's good as a desktop one too. :D

Linux, Unix is more secure only by those professionals who knows what they're doing.

Linux server because they are open source, very useful to host your website and it's free than crappy M$. It's more security than M$. The developer always create new have better open source for sever so that's why I chose Linux Server.

I'd pick Linux/Unix web servers sover Windows servers any day of my life.

I agreed with you completely, there are alot equipments average user may not realize is based on Linux, for example router, modems they generally use Linux. Want proof? Easy, whenever you boot up or log in, if it is really Micro$oft, they requires put in M$ logo there. If it is not there then it ain't M$, must be either Linux, Unix or its own OS (Operating system). No machines can run without OS.

I have to disagree with you, Linux is also developed by professionals too (think Redhat and Solaris for example).. I have been using FreeBSD for websites for past 12 years. Unix based (Linux/FreeBSD, etc) are MUCH more reliable and much higher uptime than Windows based webhost.

At my job, all of critical servers that process EVDO and Voice wireless calls are based on Redhat and Solaris (couples running HP Unix).. They do MUCH better job than Windows.. I have seen Windows Servers crash more often under heavy load than Unix based.

Lastly, Most linux OS are FREE and based on open-source which get bug fixes FASTER than Microsoft.

I have plan set up Linux based server soon. I also have Linux based computer, it works like charm, meets my needs.

Of course I still use Windows for website that requires M$ or need application that requires M$

I prefer Windows Server over Linux anytime. It's MUCH easier to install and to manage. Linux is hell at times although greatly improved with its GUI addons. I am NOT interested in learning commands. People get jobs faster if they get visual clues. Surely, some things are much better done with command line interface but face it, it's a waste of time to learn when there are so many commands to learn! That's exactly why GUI was created, it helps people get the jobs faster.

I always think that people who prefer "Linux" are just being geeks or trying to impress people with their technical knowledge. I've done programming for Unix servers for a few years in C and was really good at it. Now, I totally forgot about it and I have NO interest in learning again.

Right now I have three computers - a Mac Pro workstation (8 cores with 16 GB RAM running two Windows OS's on top of MacOSX), a quadcore wintel, and a macbook pro.

I love Macs. They work! They get things done. They are consistent. They are extremely powerful. They are elegant. They are well designed. Apple did a great job.

And BTW, MacOSX is NOT based on Linux but based on BSD. They both share POSIX standards but BSD is just "better" IMO. :)

Much easier? your must be kidding!

If it is really much easier, then why require 14 exams to become fully MCSE certified?

Whats more, Ubuntu and Kubuntu is now using more GUI, less command lines. Have you checked them, with version 9.04? of course 8.x and earlier is different when it comes to installing and delete software/applications.

I prefer Windows Server over Linux anytime. It's MUCH easier to install and to manage. Linux is hell at times although greatly improved with its GUI addons. I am NOT interested in learning commands. People get jobs faster if they get visual clues. Surely, some things are much better done with command line interface but face it, it's a waste of time to learn when there are so many commands to learn! That's exactly why GUI was created, it helps people get the jobs faster.

I always think that people who prefer "Linux" are just being geeks or trying to impress people with their technical knowledge. I've done programming for Unix servers for a few years in C and was really good at it. Now, I totally forgot about it and I have NO interest in learning again.

Right now I have three computers - a Mac Pro workstation (8 cores with 16 GB RAM running two Windows OS's on top of MacOSX), a quadcore wintel, and a macbook pro.

I love Macs. They work! They get things done. They are consistent. They are extremely powerful. They are elegant. They are well designed. Apple did a great job.

And BTW, MacOSX is NOT based on Linux but based on BSD. They both share POSIX standards but BSD is just "better" IMO. :)

Speaking of MCSE, I am doing that soon - have the books and they are $400 worth and I only paid $50 for these books. :cool2:

Back