Hostile society of the hearing people

katz4life

Reaction score
Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.

Yes, I think deaf people appear normal and are in some ways thought of as frauds. Why can't you me? Are you stupid? It annoys me to the point I will walk away first.

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.

First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.

all or none

Yes, I think deaf people appear normal and are in some ways thought of as frauds. Why can't you me? Are you stupid? It annoys me to the point I will walk away first.

can't call all hearing people the same. but there are hearing people that are like that.

First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.

Why would you want to tell her to take a flying leap? She is entitled to her feelings based on her experiences.

I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.

Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.

Why would you want to tell her to take a flying leap? She is entitled to her feelings based on her experiences.

I didn't. I was jokingly answering her based on the question made in initial post.

I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.

It's true. My daughter makes me extremely uncomfortable and I'm generally very hostile towards her, vs. the kindness I felt towards my grandmother, who was blind.

I guess the joke is lost on me. Glad you are all joking. :)

I think this question would be near impossible for anyone to realistically answer unless they're commonly around blind or wheelchair bound people.

I guess the joke is lost on me. Glad you are all joking. :)

Shel, the OP is deaf, right? I knew that (sig, previous posts, etc.). By joking about potential responding with hostility -- based only upon whether the poster was deaf or hearing -- I was giving a self-mocking example of the type of behavior the poster was asking about. And, hopefully, showing how unlikely that would be. I was not seriously waiting to find out whether the poster is deaf, so I could then seriously respond with hostility.

Recently I had two rude hearing people and i kept smiling at them.

Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.

Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.

Those deaf people who picked on you must have issues with their mentals. They should not have done to you for no reasons.

Back