Knitters Corner

I've tried it a time or two, never quite got the hang of it. It's on my list to accomplish. Maybe after Christmas, when I'm not so frantic to get everything done.

That's a good video, makes it very clear how it's done.

I watch few seconds, skip ahead watch few more seconds...too tired concentrate now. Will watch later. Is caption?

I turned on "CC" and nothing happened, so I think not. However, the close-ups are very clear, and she goes slowly at the beginning to really illustrate exactly how she does it. I think if you just try to do it along with her, you'll get it. That's what I'm planning to do.

The video is not pre-captioned, only experimentally transcribed by google. You gotta click the arrow left of the CC and choose "Transcribe Audio".
It's sort of hit or miss though, but fairly accurate when the speakers are clear.

Edit: Here is an image of the process:
attachment.php

Attachments

• knitcaption.jpg
    knitcaption.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 63
It worked, kinda/sorta, but there are some funny mis-translations. "Sketch" must mean "stitch." "Lease weight" is probably "light weight." "Fish" means - who knows??

I didn't watch all of it, just caught those things in the first couple minutes.

ps...
however, different people hold the yarn in different ways.
personally, I weave the thread between each finger in out and keep the point finger up in air
- under, over, under, over - ,
sometimes I weave the thread on the pointing finger twice while I work.

I start like this because it's super elastic, and I hold finger up like she does
only I weave differently - I do not turn the thread over at the beginning
but continue in- out - in - out
over EACH finger ending the way she holds the thread.
You'll figure it out :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7LVNrxr60&feature=related]How to Knit and Purl (Continental Style) - YouTube[/ame]

like I say, sometimes I weave twice
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNKGn_GLqg&feature=related]Knitting: Continental Method: Purl Variation (1) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5SuIJBxkY&feature=related]Oczko prawe - YouTube[/ame]

another easy method to to begin the work:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-aU7useA2s]Nabieranie / narzucanie oczek na druty - YouTube[/ame]

Fuzzy

I watch few seconds, skip ahead watch few more seconds...too tired concentrate now. Will watch later. Is caption?

I am sorry, I wasn't even looking - just watching, and trying to figure it all out
from just what I see, yikes.

Fuzzy

Wirelessly posted

Dixie said:
I purchased a crochet kit last night along with two skeins of yarn. I learned how to make the slip knot and got a chain going. How do you keep from making your chain too tight? I noticed this last night but I can't get loose without being too floppy. I also need to figure out how to make stitches so I can add more rows to my chain and actually make something. The goOd thing about crochet is if my hook comes off i can just stick it back in the chain and continue on or if I mess up, I can unravel it back to where I messed up. I will pOst pics of what I have so far on here later.

learn to control your tension when making chain, I'm expert on crochet so ask away :) try to makes it even too so it dont look wacky lol

Wirelessly posted

I knit contiential style because I dont like change lol (I'm crocheter so I hold yarn on left hand and english as you to hold on right hand, no way I tried that and I cant do anything right lol) so far I can knit, purl, stretchy cast on and "shortcut" cast on, increase, decrease, stockinette stitch, ribbing, but I have hard time with cast off because it always end up so tight so what I do is pull up extra loop everytime you cast off one lol it work. I'm very fast with crochet I can do it blindfolded but with knit I'm sooooo slow its almost ridiculous probably because I'm still beginner with knitting

Correction!...

My apologies, while I was doing my 2x2 cable yesterday I realized I do not do it I've like said "just slip of and cross and slip back on"

but only half of the stitches are left hanging free for a little while,
- so sorry!!

I didn't even realize it, I guess after knitting for close to 45 years (huh!)
one does that quite unconsciously thinking it's done such way while it's quite
the other.

So here it is how I do it without a cable needle.

If I have 4 stitches cable, and I always do it knit side up, of course,
continental style.

1,2,3,4 stitch.

A. first, move all the stitches onto the right needle

(as in the continental the right needle is the working needle)
the order on the right needle will be as follows:
1-2-3-4 from left to right

B. slip the left needle into 3-4 stitch (front or back, depending on left or right cross)
C. remove the right needle - you will have 1-2 stitches left off the needle
D. put them back onto the right needle and with this needle slip them onto the left needle.
E. now knit all of them

The same method applies whether you do a higher number of stitches -
just divide the stitches in half, move them onto the right needle
and first slip over to the left needle the stitches to be crossed,
then the rest.

Make sure you are holding the work in place of the cross firmly with fingers so the stitches wont' unravel.

It sounds complicated but it is really easy, easy breezy peasy easy :)

and you never ever will need a cable needles again.

Of course, the ways showed in the YouTube clips are also an excellent
and easy methods.

Fuzzy

I'll take your word for it, Fuzzy. Will give it a try sometime in January.

In other news: this

Help Your Gift Recipients Care for Handmade Presents | Lion Brand Notebook

was on my FB page today. Some excellent advice here for those of us who knit and crochet for gifts. My favorite ideas: include a few yards of the yarn you used, so if the item should develop rips or holes it can be repaired, and include a bottle of rinse-free wool wash. Never thought of either of those things! I'll be using both those ideas in the packages I'm getting ready to mail tomorrow.

Sure, no plm :)

Just wanted to make sure I straightened out my mistake.

re: Help Your Gift Recipients Care for Handmade Presents | Lion Brand Notebook

what a nifty idea!!!!

btw a little too late as Christmas is but a week away,
but that reminded me of another great idea for scraps.
has any of you did a friendship blanket?
You make a square of particular size and exchange it with a friends.

A square should symbolize the ties you have with a friend, for example an AD logo or a hearing Aid,
or the likes.
You then collect enough squares and sew it into a lap blanket or even
an afghan, or whatever you wish.

You may mix crocheted pieces with a knitted ones, and if you are a particularity skilled quilter
you may even mix and match uneven pieces!

here's what I did for a family member,
free hand,
years ago.
It was supposed to be me and we both love cats :)

Mom058.jpg

Mom057.jpg

It's a lot of fun ! :lol:
Fuzzy

Ohmigosh, those are adorable! Do you have a picture of the finished product?

One of my crochet magazines was running a feature that was somewhat similar, where you could do an 8" square, I think it was, and send it in, and they would assemble. I don't remember now who "they" were, exactly - a charity organization, I think.

Anyway, I didn't participate. I do baby hats for charity, as I like to see the finished product.

Thank you :ty:

No I don't have a finished product for I gave the squares to the person who was collecting the pieces for self
and she never send me a picture (I know, gahh!)

I never made a blanket for myself, though, I just enjoyed making the squares :)

Fuzzy

I know this is a "knitting" topic, but I would totally DIG learning how to do Indian braiding/stitching.

Back