Is it ok to get an used item for Christmas gift??

If the used item is good quality and it's what I needed, I would appreciate it. I also love getting books, rather get a free used New York Times bestseller than fork out 20$ for a new copy.

My husband gave me a refurbished Garman Nuvi GPS for my car. No problem at all; the warranty is the same as new, and sometimes refurbished ones are even better than new, since they fixed a minor bug in the system or whatever. It was something like $100 cheaper, pretty significant difference in cost.

you know you can simply update your GPS by connecting it to computer.

If the used item is good quality and it's what I needed, I would appreciate it. I also love getting books, rather get a free used New York Times bestseller than fork out 20$ for a new copy.

I stopped buying book along time ago for myself! I go to the public library!

Just remember if you re-gift, make sure you check the inside of the box for old gift tag. This is if your trying to pass off as something new. For our wedding, we received two gifts that had wedding gift tags inside the box that were given to them for their wedding:-(

Did some of my Christmas shopping at the thrift store for funky and fun gifts for my family. I usually get them one new thing and several fun stuff from the thrift store. Like i will get a whole bunch of ties in good condition for my hubby.

You realize that has nothing to do with her post about buying a refurbished GPS?

Or are you just handing out tips for the future? :hmm:

You realize that has nothing to do with her post about buying a refurbished GPS?

Or are you just handing out tips for the future? :hmm:
that and correcting a misconception.

I buy refurbished GPS all the time and I simply update it. The only thing that's better than brand new GPS is a steep price difference. that's it. both hardware are exactly same assuming that it's same batch/year/etc.

that and correcting a misconception.

I buy refurbished GPS all the time and I simply update it. The only thing that's better than brand new GPS is a steep price difference. that's it. both hardware are exactly same assuming that it's same batch/year/etc.

You mean to say refurbished isn't going to perform better?

I always have the idea that it may also, since it may have had a small problem and been gone over thoroughly, unlike one straight from the factory.

Besides the huge savings, that's been a motivator for me in buying refurbished technology.

You mean to say refurbished isn't going to perform better?

I always have the idea that it may also, since it may have had a small problem and been gone over thoroughly, unlike one straight from the factory.

Besides the huge savings, that's been a motivator for me in buying refurbished technology.
correct. both refurbished and brand new will perform same.

refurbished simply means it's used product sent in by complainant under warranty and authorized service center sends him a new one while keeping old one. then they fix it up and resell it. that's why refurbished is much cheaper than brand new.

or refurbished can also means the person returned it under refund policy and the store can resell it as refurbished/used/open box at discounted price.

Used automobiles can make a great gift, if they are well maintained. :wave:

I can remember my best and favorite used Christmas gift that I got. It actually came from my MIL about 10 years ago. I got all of the cast iron cookware that was her mothers. Granny Irene died and wanted me to have the cookware, so after it was all cleaned and packed, MIL and her hubby came up to visit and I got the box in October with a note to not open until Christmas. The tag even said it was from Granny Irene and I was shocked since I knew she died on July 6th that year.

Other than that, I get lots of fabric, old envelopes, old cards and things like that. I re-purpose them into homemade cards and such.

New or used, it should not matter, its the thought behind it that counts the most.

New or used, it should not matter, its the thought behind it that counts the most.

unless that person receiving it is a very superficial person :hmm:

but then.... that wouldn't be a problem with me cuz I don't give gift to spoiled brat :lol:

Yes, I know, but that's not what I'm talking about here. Once in a while a unit will be returned to the company, either because it's defective or the person didn't like it or whatever. The company checks it over, fixes any defect, and then sells it as "refurbished." It has nothing to do with being updated, in the sense of updating the maps.

By buying a refurbished one that was returned and fixed, my husband saved something like $100 as compared to the cost of a new one. It was one of the top of the line models (a couple years ago).

Back