Statistics Study::Cochlear Implant Users, Please Read

camerachick26

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but I need some help from you!

I am a student in a statistics class where we are required to do a study on something we are interested in. I decided to do a study on people with cochlear implants and their mode of communication, since I myself have a profound hearing loss. I need some help collecting data. Would you help me? It takes two seconds to answer if you are a male or female, what your level of hearing at birth was (hearing, HOH, or deaf), and what your mode of communication is now (sign, oral, or both). Please only answer if you have a cochlear implant! Also, I know that this is a restricted population, but I have permission from my teacher to use it. Thank you all so much!

Profound hearing loss at birth

Implanted at 30

Uses both signing and oral, primary language is oral.

Female

born hearing, went deaf at age 2 as a result of meningitis. PROFOUND in left ear, severe-profound in right ear. I am mostly oral, but do use signs when I'm around deaf people. Left ear implanted just last year; hearing aid in right ear. I'm female.

I am male. Sensorineural loss-first hearing aid almost 50 years ago. Had 2 till 1992. Became Deaf in right ear. Profound level.

Went bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006. Cochlear Implant Aug/07 I was 70 years-then.

Don't use ASL and can/do speak

I am male. Sensorineural loss-first hearing aid almost 50 years ago. Had 2 till 1992. Became Deaf in right ear. Profound level.

Went bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006. Cochlear Implant Aug/07 I was 70 years-then.

Don't use ASL and can/do speak

*Not activated yet

Female
Born hearing, went deaf at 8
Use a combination of ASL and speach

Hello everyone-

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but I need some help from you!

I am a student in a statistics class where we are required to do a study on something we are interested in. I decided to do a study on people with cochlear implants and their mode of communication, since I myself have a profound hearing loss. I need some help collecting data. Would you help me? It takes two seconds to answer if you are a male or female, what your level of hearing at birth was (hearing, HOH, or deaf), and what your mode of communication is now (sign, oral, or both). Please only answer if you have a cochlear implant! Also, I know that this is a restricted population, but I have permission from my teacher to use it. Thank you all so much!
Having people answer here is statistically worthless. Nice to know but unusable in a scientific way.
Why don't you set up a questionnaire..? You can do this as a new thread.. Making your questions and choices of answers..

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Cloggy- I understand, I already talked in through with my teacher and it's only for a class project, this isn't for anything more than that...

Male. Heard fine till age of 10. Progressing hearing loss in both since then and got implant in May 2012 for my left ear.

Mode of communication is oral.

born profoundly deaf, implanted on my right at age of 2 and left at age of 15, oral but know signing if needed, Male.

Male. Hearing at birth, progressive hearing loss since 6 yes of age, profound deaf level at age 24.

Implanted at age 30.

Communication is usually oral, also use an abbreviated spell-sign method (quick way to teach hearing who can't commit to ASL), tactile sign.

Hearing status at birth: Severe hearing loss

Communication mode today with CI: oral

Best,
Dominik

Back