Deaf for AG Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrox

Reaction score
I am curious how many prelingually deaf adults are members of AGBell and support its positions?

I don't care if they now know signs, just curious if they still stand with AG Bell positions.

Nope, dont support AGBell.

I am curious how many prelingually deaf adults are members of AGBell and support its positions?

I don't care if they now know signs, just curious if they still stand with AG Bell positions.

I don't think I know anybody is support AGBell. But I have no intention to support that.

Not me, either. I don't support AGBell as he and the group of hearing supporters along side with him are more audists worse than ever. They can not see the reason why we suffered so much pain for not understanding in the hearing classrooms. No sign language at all, ever. No accommodations, ever. :(

What does AG Bell do?

Well, the current position is that AG Bell recognizes ASL but believes that oralism works and that with CI , hearing aid, and therapy will make the deaf be part of the hearing. You know the usual.

But I am just curious... I wldn't think I'd find a fan of AG Bell but if you know someone who is a member of AG Bell and supports it, I'd like to know.

After I asked the question, I Googled it. Should have Googled it first!

Well, they don't bother me, but I couldn't figure out what they do if you're not in the CI market. To each their own, I guess.

Bebong, I understand your point of view and it's very valid but just curious - it just seems that almost all deaf people who were raised orally become signers and don't agree with AG Bell.

Change country and you'll see... We don't even know who Bell is here (well ok I do), but in Italy, oralism is the norm and I know people who are deaf from birth and proudly say "never learned sign language and never needed it because I can talk".
Hopefully, my son won't be one of them...:roll:

Bebong, I understand your point of view and it's very valid but just curious - it just seems that almost all deaf people who were raised orally become signers and don't agree with AG Bell.

Exactly what are you claiming about on what they don't agree with AG Bell?

Change country and you'll see... We don't even know who Bell is here (well ok I do), but in Italy, oralism is the norm and I know people who are deaf from birth and proudly say "never learned sign language and never needed it because I can talk".
Hopefully, my son won't be one of them...:roll:

Milan Conference.

Just wondering how many members does the Adult Oral Deaf Section of AG BAD have? I did hear it wasn't that unusal to see people with 'terps at the conferences.....and they aren't as bad as they used to be regarding their stance on ASL. I think it's mainly b/c a lot of kids who grow up oral learn ASL as a second language. However they have to appease THOSE parents and the teachers and experts who think that life should be a speech therapy session for dhh kids. I would think that a lot of the adults are either alums of the oral schools (especially the dorm ones like St. Joseph's, CID and Clarke) or adults who do not identify with ASL and Deaf culture.
but I couldn't figure out what they do if you're not in the CI market. To each their own, I guess
Actually they used to promote high powered hearing aids. And this is the very same organization that made a HUGE HUGE fuss about that Deaf joke Superbowl commerical a while back.

Exactly what are you claiming about on what they don't agree with AG Bell?

netrox is just making an observtion. 'Tis all.

Netrox, I don't support AG Bell organization or the likes.

Well, the current position is that AG Bell recognizes ASL but believes that oralism works and that with CI , hearing aid, and therapy will make the deaf be part of the hearing. You know the usual.

But I am just curious... I wldn't think I'd find a fan of AG Bell but if you know someone who is a member of AG Bell and supports it, I'd like to know.
Why you'd like to know? What's the purpose?

What does AG Bell do?

They do a lot of advocacy, early intervention, support for IDEA, lobbying for insurance to support hearing aids and for ADA, captioning, broadband access, and early intervention, providing many scholarships for deaf kids and financial aid for TODs, giving legal support for deaf people who've been discriminated against, offering summer camps so deaf kids can come together, pushing for widespread awareness of deafness and deaf issues, publish research, and so on.

They do support assistive hearing hearing technologies including HAs and CIs, but CIs aren't their primary platform. The quote Botti gave is from their page specific to their position on cochlear implants. There's also a page on ASL.

The Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing helps families, health care providers and education professionals understand childhood hearing loss and the importance of early diagnosis and intervention.

They encourage exploring a range of communication methods, including sign, but they also openly state that their focus is on achieving independence through listening and speaking wherever possible. They are pretty much in your face about that, and have done some ridiculous things like sending a letter of protest that a very cool SuperBowl ad that featured sign didn't represent all deaf (although many of their members actively complained about such a stupid and offensive letter) and obviously they are not the most well-respected org among AD-ers. Aside from those who benefitted from many of those scholarships. But they are also very powerful and have poured money and services towards deaf issues and have achieved a great deal in terms of building awareness of hearing loss and discrimination among lawmakers and the public alike and developing an enormous knowledge base.

They do a lot of advocacy, early intervention, support for IDEA, lobbying for insurance to support hearing aids and for ADA, captioning, broadband access, and early intervention, providing many scholarships for deaf kids and financial aid for TODs, giving legal support for deaf people who've been discriminated against, offering summer camps so deaf kids can come together, pushing for widespread awareness of deafness and deaf issues, publish research, and so on.

They do support assistive hearing hearing technologies including HAs and CIs, but CIs aren't their primary platform. The quote Botti gave is from their page specific to their position on cochlear implants. There's also a page on ASL.

They encourage exploring a range of communication methods, including sign, but they also openly state that their focus is on achieving independence through listening and speaking wherever possible. They are pretty much in your face about that, and have done some ridiculous things like sending a letter of protest that a very cool SuperBowl ad that featured sign didn't represent all deaf (although many of their members actively complained about such a stupid and offensive letter) and obviously they are not the most well-respected org among AD-ers. Aside from those who benefitted from many of those scholarships. But they are also very powerful and have poured money and services towards deaf issues and have achieved a great deal in terms of building awareness of hearing loss and discrimination among lawmakers and the public alike and developing an enormous knowledge base.

In the red bold, can you show where this was the case?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back