Hi everybody ! I am a french deaf student !

Hi everyone

Thank all for your welcome !

I am very surprise to see an answer in French !!! So where did you learn French ? I practise French Laguage Sign (LSF) since 1997 an I would like to learn ASL. I have a deaf friend who learning Spain Sign because we live near Spain. In 2006 I was applied to gallaudet university but I renounced it. It's too expensive for me and I didn't have the TOEFL level.

You can see below the correction of your writting in french.

Bienvenue!

J'ai étudié le français pendant onze ans. Elle était ma matière principale, mais maintenant j'étudie la langue des signes americaine. J'espère que vous apprendrez beaucoup ici. :wave:

et je suis desolée si mon français n'est pas très bon !

Thank you and I hope to seen you around...

Welcome!

Most high school in the U.S. have foreign language courses. It's an requirement for college to have three years of foreign languages of their own choice. some pick Spanish, Latin, French, German (<---my husband took this), etc.

But it is up to the student if they want to learn it longer. My sister took french for 5 years in high school and took more of it in college plus some other languages. In fact, her 4 years college degree was something to do with international. I can't remember exactly the degree it was but she didn't use it either.

My 8 years old son is taking his first year of French right now in school (private school), he took Spanish since he was in preschool (took Spanish for 4 years, but he is a child so I'm sure Spanish class were very simple lessons).

Hi everyone

Thank all for your welcome !

I am very surprise to see an answer in French !!! So where did you learn French ? I practise French Laguage Sign (LSF) since 1997 an I would like to learn ASL. I have a deaf friend who learning Spain Sign because we live near Spain. In 2006 I was applied to gallaudet university but I renounced it. It's too expensive for me and I didn't have the TOEFL level.

You can see below the correction of your writting in french.

Bienvenue!

J'ai étudié le français pendant onze ans. Elle était ma matière principale, mais maintenant j'étudie la langue des signes americaine. J'espère que vous apprendrez beaucoup ici. :wave:

et je suis desolée si mon français n'est pas très bon !

Thank you and I hope to seen you around...

:ty: merci beaucoup. Ah see I was thinking apprendrez but we're currently going over le subjonctif. Guess that's where my mind has been! :giggle:

I first started learning French in 7th grade (middle school) and went all the way from middle to high school and then college. As Lighthouse said, there is a requirement here in USA to take some foreign language, the amount depends upon what kind of diploma you want. At high school, I picked up German as well. That made things interesting for sure (I could always think of the word I wanted in French during German class and German during French class!) I had a fabulous middle school and high school teacher but my college teachers did not evoke that same kind of passion for French as the previous ones had.

I found ASL on a whim and LSF REALLY interests me as well considering I know some French and well who knows, maybe after awhile I can go to France and learn!

There's Gallaudet but there are other unis as well or maybe even just stay in the US for awhile and learn that way.

So why ASL? Because of the close relation? I thought I read somewhere that LSF had been influenced by Spanish Sign?

Yeah it's right ! Spain signs had influenced LSF ! When I was in high school I had lessons about the History of LSF. In France we have many versions of the beginning of LSF. But an history told that: L'Abbé de l'Epée saw two monk signs with dactyology in Spain monastery. When he met two deaf women in Paris, he decided to learn her these signs. And it's the beginning of the History of LSF.

I applied to Gallaudet university because I have many problems in French universities. When I was a freshman, I had one teacher from Texas. She taught me english and told me about this university. I decided to try one's luck. But it was too expensive and I didn't have the TOEFL level. Maybe after my MS or my thesis I will go to work at an US university or others foreign countries. It's obligatory for to have an office in French universities.

Since few years LSF was recognized by the government. And now LSF is taught in some universities particularly for the future interpreter.

Back