All about diesel power!

The Highlander

Reaction score
Someday I really want to own a Dodge 2500 with Cummins for business and house improvement.

cummins_logo-.jpg

Originally I would love to have Cummin diesel, I ended up got International Navistar instead. The reason is that my friend once had Dodge RAM, not Diesel had to replace transmission three times. At same time friend of mine handed his powerstroke turbo diesel Superduty truck key. Of course, I drove it and that was it, ended up bought almost same as his, just that I got bigger cab, and 3 years newer.
So far, I had it for more than a year and it gives me no problem, other than dirty in fuel tank. It has nothing to do with Ford quality, but because of the quality it was built they were able to stop dirty fuel from ruining the engine. I was not sure where the dirty and other alcohol like chemical came from.

Great idea, Highlander!

deafsmogtech, well I think train has a huge V10-V12 as a main generator to power the traction motors on each axle and a small diesel generator to power the electronics in the cab and the railcars.

Originally I would love to have Cummin diesel, I ended up got International Navistar instead. The reason is that my friend once had Dodge RAM, not Diesel had to replace transmission three times. At same time friend of mine handed his powerstroke turbo diesel Superduty truck key. Of course, I drove it and that was it, ended up bought almost same as his, just that I got bigger cab, and 3 years newer.
So far, I had it for more than a year and it gives me no problem, other than dirty in fuel tank. It has nothing to do with Ford quality, but because of the quality it was built they were able to stop dirty fuel from ruining the engine. I was not sure where the dirty and other alcohol like chemical came from.

Dirty in the fuel tank is most common problem for diesel and almost 80% of fuel system problem from semi-truck. Keeps check fuel filter more often.

Let me guess, your friend use automatic transmission? I am not surprised about it. I think any transmissions with torque converter (TC) are very stupid design ever I see.

I prefer manual transmission and dual clutch transmission over junk TC.

True man drive diesel with manual transmission like most semi-truck.

Dirty in the fuel tank is most common problem for diesel and almost 80% of fuel system problem from semi-truck. Keeps check fuel filter more often.

Let me guess, your friend use automatic transmission? I am not surprised about it. I think any transmissions with torque converter (TC) are very stupid design ever I see.

I've a 1998 Ram--nondiesel V6 engine. I have 115K on it and so far, I did not have to worry about transmission. Yeah, I do have an automatic transmission.

You mean dirty come from water? I think the trucks have water separator for fuel, I can't recall. Maybe for air brake system. I know the water in diesel fuel can harm fuel injection systems, can replace fuel filters and drain water out of the water separators. Just a tho

I've a 1998 Ram--nondiesel V6 engine. I have 115K on it and so far, I did not have to worry about transmission. Yeah, I do have an automatic transmission.

Depend how often towing/push, maintenance, and drive abuse.

Last edited:
You mean dirty come from water? I think the trucks have water separator for fuel, I can't recall. Maybe for air brake system. I know the water in diesel fuel can harm fuel injection systems, can replace fuel filters and drain water out of the water separators. Just a tho

Correct. Dirty from water. Most semi-truck have water separator for fuel system, Also there is another water separator for air compressor for honk, air brake,air bag suspension, air brake, etc.

Did you know that diesel vehicle holds its value better than a gasoline one?

A mechanically injected diesel does not need electricity to keep it going, if your alternator fails, a diesel engine will get you home which gasoline don't.

(edited due typo)

Last edited:
I love the way you are saying ;)

Yep! I had to change fuel filter often and it got two fuel filter and I am glad my truck has dual fuel filters. Now you understand why I am not blaming on Ford themselves as this got nothing to do with quality of vehicle as it can happen with just any vehicles no matter what.

EDIT: Sorry, yes you are right on your guessing. It is automatic that my friend had to replace three times in just 200K miles, first one around 50K, second one 110K miles third one 160K. Each replacement cost him around $4k. He sold that truck so it is no more headache for him. He now owns Nissan.

Its automatics. I never liked automatics, and believe it or not I still drive automatics. I wish my truck has manual tranny. The only problem is that my truck is in "Luxury" which means it got every options you could image. That is why I felt that I am in heaven in my truck. ;)

Last edited:
Yep, that is true. Same if hit by E bomb, Diesel won't die, gasoline will lose spark and sputtering to halt. That is why military tend to use Diesel instead.

Did you know that diesel vehicle holds its valve better than a gasoline one?

A mechanically injected diesel does not need electricity to keep it going, if your alternator fails, a diesel engine will get you home which gasoline don't.

I think the Torqueflite transmission (RWD) is the best cuz I never been overhaul them in my wrench years. I did overhauled A604 FWD trannies 4 times. I noticed a Torqueflite tranny in a 1995ish Dodge Ram 1500 van, looks same tranny dated back to 1970's. Why can't they come to me for overhaul the trannies. Sad

I think the Torqueflite transmission (RWD) is the best cuz I never been overhaul them in my wrench years. I did overhauled A604 FWD trannies 4 times. I noticed a Torqueflite tranny in a 1995ish Dodge Ram 1500 van, looks same tranny dated back to 1970's. Why can't they come to me for overhaul the trannies. Sad

How about join to diesel mechanic and you will get overtime most times. :D

I noticed most auto mechanic don't get overtime so much and sometime send home early if very slow business. So I picked diesel mechanic over auto mechanic.

Did you know that diesel vehicle holds its valve better than a gasoline one?

Of course, I have always wondered why vehicles with diesel goes for sooo much more than non diesels. I've seen it on E Bay all the times.

Yup, Diesel were built to last technically forever. That is because Diesel itself is oil based where gasoline is vapor based. This gives cylinders good lubricants while gasoline based don't.

Of course, I have always wondered why vehicles with diesel goes for sooo much more than non diesels. I've seen it on E Bay all the times.

This is good advise. The other day I had to drop off my truck to Ford Dealer. Believe it or not, in my hometown, there are only 2 Certified diesel mechanic for all local Ford dealers. Have to book ahead of time and that sucks. I still demand Certified Diesel mechanic cause it is different system than Gasoline and I don't want any rookies to molest my engine!
I had to pay premium for this, oh well.

I noticed most auto mechanic don't get overtime so much and sometime send home early if very slow business. So I picked diesel mechanic over auto mechanic.

Both gas and diesel mechanics work overtimes. In 15 years ago, I worked overtimes at a gas station to finishing the vehicles. One time I worked from 7am to 10pm, made lot money about $1,300 in commission just one day. My salary (15 years ago)was almost $70K a year very hard work. Today the professional mechanics such as MBZ technicians, can earn over $100K a year even not spend overtime works.

Hey, Diesel mechanic is not my type but spend 2 years in truck shop, never fell like I am a diesel mechanic. If I want back to be a diesel mechanic right now but too late for my age.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

If they allowed that diesel powered police cars in the US, why didn't they allow a diesel Subaru? Maybe its govt exempt?

Back