FCC want Deaf / HoH to pay for CaptionCall equipments!

TechBill

Reaction score
Right now CaptionCall equipments are calls are free to any Deaf or HoH people.

BUT .........

FCC is considering making Deaf or HoH people to pay for CaptionCall equipments.

If you own a CaptionCall or you are considering about getting one, there a chance you will have to pay 75 dollars for one.

More information - KeepCaptions.com

Here a complaint about it on FCC gov site filed by an CaptionCall employee - http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7520938104

If we don't fight back - Soon you may be paying for your VP or going to have to buy your own VP.

I see they only want people with "hearing loss" to use them. I guess that excludes people like me with auditory processing disorder.

Is the big jump in use because of baby boomers?

I see they only want people with "hearing loss" to use them. I guess that excludes people like me with auditory processing disorder.

Is the big jump in use because of baby boomers?

Interesting, if you have a group for apd people, and have them to sign up, and get doctors something to make it recognizable for apd. Like me I learned about apd almost two years ago.

If you think it is working for apd then why not.

I didn't even know about them until recently but i've been thinking about it. I have a very hard time on the phone depending on the speaker

Is this the Captel phone? I'm currently waiting on one of those. I can't afford it if they charge for it.

CaptionCall isn't designed for Deaf, and sometimes it is free and sometimes its charged for equipment. Been like that in the past. Nothing new.
Captioncall was designed for those who just had hearing loss and were able to speak clearly. If one can't speak clearly, CaptionCall won't work.

Right now CaptionCall equipments are calls are free to any Deaf or HoH people.

BUT .........

FCC is considering making Deaf or HoH people to pay for CaptionCall equipments.

If you own a CaptionCall or you are considering about getting one, there a chance you will have to pay 75 dollars for one.

More information - KeepCaptions.com

Here a complaint about it on FCC gov site filed by an CaptionCall employee - http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7520938104

If we don't fight back - Soon you may be paying for your VP or going to have to buy your own VP.

CaptionCall isn't designed for Deaf, and sometimes it is free and sometimes its charged for equipment. Been like that in the past. Nothing new.
Captioncall was designed for those who just had hearing loss and were able to speak clearly. If one can't speak clearly, CaptionCall won't work.

I know several late Deaf adults using this instead of VP because they loss their hearing later in life and never knew how to sign. So yes it also designed for Deaf but with late Deaf adult in mind.

Back