Pray in SL and the eyes

Waxy

Reaction score
Can't post in the correct forum (Religion), so I do it here.
I was wondering your opinion on a specific matter.
When you see someone in your church, or even in home or wherever, praying, does this person keeps their eyes opened? or close?

I ask this because obviously the eyes are an important part of the language. I believe hearings closes their eyes for concentrating in the words, but the Deaf don't need to do this, and not only is a matter of "need", but a linguistic matter, wich is actually the approach of the question. So, what do you think? wich are your experiences regarding this?

During signing group prayer, eyes open.

Individual praying, personal preference, either way.

Thank you, Reba. I've googled and found some videos. Besides those that teach how to do it (sometime they translate as they read the book), eyes are open. I think it's how should be done.

Thank you, Reba. I've googled and found some videos. Besides those that teach how to do it (sometime they translate as they read the book), eyes are open. I think it's how should be done.
Can you link the videos? I'm curious about those.

I'm a little confused about the book reference. What book are they reading (which obviously would have to be with eyes open), and how does that relate to praying?

It is like you mentioned. Hearing people close their eyes to maintain their focus and not get distracted. For deafies it is the opposite, as eye contact is vital, diverting the eyes or closing them is considered rude.

I found a blog here about why people close their eyes when praying and it has some interesting ideas about it.
I almost always keep mine open when praying and I'm hearing.

If you're praying to yourself or doing the praying yourself, then you don't really need to close your eyes. However, if you're praying with someone else like at a dinner table or during a church service... then it would be fine to have your eyes open so you can see/understand the person doing the praying. :)

I feeling pray on my mind eye and also help calm down peaceful :)

It doesn't matter if eyes are open or closed. It's the state of mind that is most important. A person can have eyes closed but their mind are way off somewhere else. Same with eyes open, can have mind else where too.

Jesus example at John 11: 41,42 shows him giving a prayer while his eyes are evidently open. His payer is personal, but also for the benefit of those around him. Like posts above, the most important thing is what is in the heart and what is expressed, and not necessarily whether the eyes are open or not. Maybe some close their eyes to focus intently, or maybe out of respect for speaking to God. Excellent question though.

I think some people shut their eyes because they want to be more focused on the prayer. It's not important if the eyes are open or shut - it's whether the heart is open or shut that matters.

Laura

Back