Frustration with PowerPoint 2013

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my current class we use PowerPoint 2013. I enjoy most of it except for one frustration. As of Dec. 1, 2014, Office.com Clip Art was shut down. It no longer exists. Therefor, when I'm doing a class assignment that requires doing a Office.com Clip Art search to insert specific picture and audio files into my slide show, I can't complete it. I've asked the instructor what we should do instead, and she hasn't yet replied to me.

The search function for PP's online pictures now uses Bing but they don't have the exact vector format images I need for the assignment.

The search box for PP's online audio doesn't even open. It pops open a blank box.

This is ridiculous. They shouldn't get rid of one source without first providing a replacement source.

In my current class we use PowerPoint 2013. I enjoy most of it except for one frustration. As of Dec. 1, 2014, Office.com Clip Art was shut down. It no longer exists. Therefor, when I'm doing a class assignment that requires doing a Office.com Clip Art search to insert specific picture and audio files into my slide show, I can't complete it. I've asked the instructor what we should do instead, and she hasn't yet replied to me.

The search function for PP's online pictures now uses Bing but they don't have the exact vector format images I need for the assignment.

The search box for PP's online audio doesn't even open. It pops open a blank box.

This is ridiculous. They shouldn't get rid of one source without first providing a replacement source.

So just skipped clip art and complete it.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/01/m...ibrary-redirects-office-users-to-bing-images/

Print this link out and hand it to your instructor. No frustrated necessity.

Reba, does your assignment also mention the possibility of using alternative methods when resources become compromised? Here's an article that may assist you.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2857295/how-to-find-images-for-office-documents-now-that-microsofts-killing-clip-art.html
No, it didn't mention using any alternatives.

In real life, I could use other resources or methods but for this online course there is only one way to do it. The grading is automated. Click here, save as, submit . . . that's it.

I just went and checked. Your right because it was working for me last semester.

They must had shut it down at the end of December.

What text book are you using? Is it "New Perspectives on Microsoft Office 2013"?

If so then you might be able to download the needed files from the textbook publisher site. I can't remember which class but I think I did have to download some files from the publisher site after my professor forgot to include some photo files.

I just went and checked. Your right because it was working for me last semester.

They must had shut it down at the end of December.

What text book are you using? Is it "New Perspectives on Microsoft Office 2013"?

If so then you might be able to download the needed files from the textbook publisher site. I can't remember which class but I think I did have to download some files from the publisher site after my professor forgot to include some photo files.

Our textbook is Exploring Microsoft PowerPoint 2013, customized edition for our school.

The dropping of Office.com ClipArt happened just last December, so I think the textbook people haven't yet caught up. It seems that it was a "quiet" event that took a lot of people by surprise.

Hey, Reba!! I stopped by Staples (or was that Office Max?) to explore a couple of things, and I saw Microsoft Office Home and Office/Student 2013 here. Maybe get that?

Hey, Reba!! I stopped by Staples (or was that Office Max?) to explore a couple of things, and I saw Microsoft Office Home and Office/Student 2013 here. Maybe get that?
??

why would she get that if she already has PowerPoint 2013? The problem is that the feature of selecting Clip Art is there BUT it is not accessible on the web anymore (Office.com)

Her problem is this:
Reba said:

So purchasing the Home & Office Student 2013 would not help in any manner to complete her project because the part she needs is ONLINE.

Plus from what I gather- the way the assignment is set up, what she does is automatically graded while she is doing it. (Reba may correct me there).

??

why would she get that if she already has PowerPoint 2013? The problem is that the feature of selecting Clip Art is there BUT it is not accessible on the web anymore (Office.com)

Her problem is this:

So purchasing the Home & Office Student 2013 would not help in any manner to complete her project because the part she needs is ONLINE.

Plus from what I gather- the way the assignment is set up, what she does is automatically graded while she is doing it. (Reba may correct me there).

That's a good point. I didn't quite think of it that way, but it was just a suggestion.

I already have MS Office 2013, which includes PowerPoint. I got it free with my course.

. . . Plus from what I gather- the way the assignment is set up, what she does is automatically graded while she is doing it. (Reba may correct me there).
Correct.

The tutorial exercise is graded as each step is done. The test exercise is graded immediately upon submission of the completed exercise, automatically. Within seconds, I know my grade.

It's not a software problem. It's a lack of web site support.

Do you have a Microsoft account? I have one, because I formerly had Windows 8, and that came with it. I wonder if you might be able to resolve it that way? I think that's how I managed to download Service Packs 2 and 3 for my HP laptop, which didn't have either one, and it needed both to run a videophone on it.

Do you have a Microsoft account? I have one, because I formerly had Windows 8, and that came with it. I wonder if you might be able to resolve it that way? I think that's how I managed to download Service Packs 2 and 3 for my HP laptop, which didn't have either one, and it needed both to run a videophone on it.
Yes, I have an account.

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation clearly.

The problem is that textbook publishers and curriculum designers haven't kept up with web site changes. The web site Office.comClipArt no longer exists. Therefore, the PP feature that links online pictures no longer works the way it used to. The Bing link does not work the same way as Office.com did. Microsoft got rid of Office.com without providing an adequate alternative. So, the online textbook/curriculum providers need to revise the books and online curriculum. Otherwise, the students will continue to get errors in their work, thru no fault of their own.

Yes, I have an account.

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation clearly.

The problem is that textbook publishers and curriculum designers haven't kept up with web site changes. The web site Office.comClipArt no longer exists. Therefore, the PP feature that links online pictures no longer works the way it used to. The Bing link does not work the same way as Office.com did. Microsoft got rid of Office.com without providing an adequate alternative. So, the online textbook/curriculum providers need to revise the books and online curriculum. Otherwise, the students will continue to get errors in their work, thru no fault of their own.

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that...... I've never used Microsoft Office 2013 OR PowerPoint. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge in this particular field that's not helping you any. I tend to use Google Drive, so there is that.

Our textbook is Exploring Microsoft PowerPoint 2013, customized edition for our school.

The dropping of Office.com ClipArt happened just last December, so I think the textbook people haven't yet caught up. It seems that it was a "quiet" event that took a lot of people by surprise.

I didn't realize this change occurred but it explains a lot. I was trying to insert a picture into my PowerPoint and just couldn't figure it out. I could do it fine with the older version but I found zero help with the latest Microsoft.

Laura

Back