4 Game-Changing Technologies For The Deaf & HOH

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that there are more than 360 million people worldwide with a disabling hearing loss, including 32 million children and one-third of people over 65 years of age. Hearing loss may result from genetic causes, complications at birth, certain infectious diseases, chronic ear infections, the use of particular drugs, exposure to excessive noise and aging.

One of the main impacts of hearing loss is on the individual’s ability to communicate with others, since spoken language development is often delayed in children with deafness. Limited access to services and exclusion from communication can have a significant impact on everyday life, causing feelings of loneliness, isolation and frustration, particularly among older people with hearing loss.

Recent advances in technology have the potential to improve the quality of life for those who are deaf or hard of hearing. Here’s a look at four products in this space that caught our attention.

Read more...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberts...echnologies-for-the-deaf-and-hard-of-hearing/

And one of my favorites …

Hayleigh’s Cherished Charms: Sometimes a low-tech innovation can have as big an impact as their high tech counterparts. At the age of ten, a girl named Hayleigh noticed that her many of her classmates at a school for the deaf and hard of hearing hid their hearing aids behind their hair. “I wanted to make my hearing aids shine and be fancy and proud of my hearing aids,” says Hayleigh. So she started designing jewelry that can best be described as “hearing aid bling”. Hayleigh’s Cherished Charms are available in a variety of designs and colors, including some for cochlear implants. Through her growing family business, Hayleigh, now 15, also makes charms for boys and adults.
Pretty cool this was one of them. I buy her products, and always get compliments, including hearing strangers who aren't even sure what they are seeing.

I'll have to check her products out again.. last time I looked there wasn't much for males. I need to check out the super seals or the other covers (can't remember the name right now) as I like color but need something that would work around the boots & DAI cord lol.

Interesting that on the "I See what you say" they didn't show the actual text from the spoken word...:hmm:. That area has a long way to go- it isn't 100%, you have to speak slowly, clearly and enunciate. the speech to text technology doesn't do well with thicker accents or noisy environments with two or more conversations going at the same time or even when wanting to listen to a lecturer (yes I tried that one not long ago lol) either.

Back