Do you suffer from ocd ?

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have obsessive compulsive disorder ?

I do .. and it disturbs my brain at moderate level.

I've started my treatment process . I've been taking Lustral and are going to start psycho therapy soon :)

how about u ?

Oh yikes!

I am glad that the medication help ya to control it!

I am not sure who else has it. I am sure few other ADers may have it.

:hug:

thanks and I do think that there are some others

Do you have obsessive compulsive disorder ?

I do .. and it disturbs my brain at moderate level.

I've started my treatment process . I've been taking Lustral and are going to start psycho therapy soon :)

how about u ?

I am glad that you have gotten some medication and are beginning therapy, highlands. At it's mild level, OCD can be an annoyance, but at it's most severe, can prevent an individual from being able to function on a daily basis at all.

I have OCD too, I was diagnosed with OCD in 2005 with special doctor and level is about like between light to moderate.

I just check the car lock over again and again, same goes to check to make water turn off, sign language at same sentence, check house door if locked and other something to check again and again.

I used took OCD medicine and it doesn't work so properly but cause more severe side effect like limited sleep and sexual issue then I decided to stop it for good and get deal with OCD without any help or medicine.

I don't know. I check things such as doors, water, lights, stove, car, etc. I also had situations where I'd check to see if the car doors are locked, car lights are off, then I'd walk away, and walk back again to check. Is this a form of ocd?

Now I try to relax... In my mind, I developed a list of things to check once only. Once I know the list of things are checked, I walk away and keep walking without looking back.

My mother had this mild form, too, Pacman, only she would check the stove over and over again to make sure it was off. She was always 15 minutes late everywhere she went because she would have to go back in the house several times to make sure, even though she had just checked. She didn't take meds, either, because being a bit late doesn't really interfere with daily life. My brother, as well, had a very mild form. If he was handing you something, when you would put your hand on it to take it, he would have to count to 8 before he could let go. No meds in his case, either.

My cousin has it...he is now in his 20s and it seems to have gotten better for him with age. He used to wash his hands over and over again until they were cracked and bleeding. He has a long list of OCD-like behaviors that he had to deal with growing up.

I don't know. I check things such as doors, water, lights, stove, car, etc. I also had situations where I'd check to see if the car doors are locked, car lights are off, then I'd walk away, and walk back again to check. Is this a form of ocd?

Now I try to relax... In my mind, I developed a list of things to check once only. Once I know the list of things are checked, I walk away and keep walking without looking back.

Could be a mild form.

My cousin has it...he is now in his 20s and it seems to have gotten better for him with age. He used to wash his hands over and over again until they were cracked and bleeding. He has a long list of OCD-like behaviors that he had to deal with growing up.

i have the same thing as your cousin. I washed my hands more often. :( my hands is very dry and have to use lotion. I hate germs and paranoid with germs everywhere. if i touch the doorknob i go back and washed my hand again.. If i touch something I washed my hands again. haha.. i just dont want germs on my hand. :giggle:

I am not on any medications for it.

i have the same thing as your cousin. I washed my hands more often. :( my hands is very dry and have to use lotion. I hate germs and paranoid with germs everywhere. if i touch the doorknob i go back and washed my hand again.. If i touch something I washed my hands again. haha.. i just dont want germs on my hand. :giggle:

I am not on any medications for it.

Seems like you just know how to make your hands clean.
I believe this has nothing to do with OCD.

No, but I know a famous actress, Joan Crawford had the similar disorder, It has something to do with cleanliness. She was an abusive mother back then. Ever watched the movie "Mommie Dearest?" It's about Joan Crawford, and how she acts forward her daughter, Christine.

Seems like you just know how to make your hands clean.
I believe this has nothing to do with OCD.

Actually, the symptoms that Freakycat described could be OCD. Another possibility would be germ phobic.

I do think I have a mild OCD (never was labeled as one so I am just assuming).

I would check something two to three time before I am happy or forcing myself to let it go. Usually it's with locks and water. It sudden appeared and used to be bad when I was teenager, but it's less now. I guess it got something to do with my mentality strength, I would force myself to give up after one or two time of checking already and thinking it's no big deal. It's hard but can be helpful.

Another I think is the most strangest cases that I was cursed with...
I refused to get on bed unless I shower first and get in a clean pjs. I will wear slipper so that my feet stay clean (not touching the floor) until I get on bed. Interesting thing is, I don't care about being clean if I am sleeping at someone's house or hotel. I can be covered with mud and go to bed no problem, but I can't do that with my own bed.
I think it's an odd case, but it's something I can't control.

My family knew I am somewhere germ-phobias. Not a bad case, but I learned strategies to get by without people noticing or hurting myself. I think because of that, I don't get sick as often as other people do, lol. I guess one good thing came out of it.

I think everything that's related to OCD became less as I become older.

It's annoy but it doesn't inference with my life.

What kind of OCD do you have? There are different kinds of OCD. Are you talking about the Monk-type OCD?

Yes I have OCD. My mom have it too but she have is mild form so she don't take meds she just cosntantly check if stove is off and if all her kids are still breathing when we all were kids that's it.

But for me, I can't stop picking loose thread on clothes, even other object like chair, other person clothes, purse, etc it just makes me go crazy if I don't pick thread till it stop. Usually when whole thread is gone lmao. I can't help it! 1 time i was watching movie and I was picking my favorite shirt's thread I didn't know I was doing it till too late my whole half of shirt came apart! So I grabbed front part and ran to room to change shirt! (Exposed my bra!) it suck! It was my favorite shirt!!

Lol and other is I have to put certain amount of sugar in tea or cheerio cereal or salt on my food or it'll feel "wrong" even if it doesn't need it.

Always adjusting the blanket constantly to be perfect, or anything else it have to "feel right" before I do anything else or I'll feel anxious. My usual cure if my fiance found me doing that he'll grab stuff away from me and say stop! Then hug me to distract me from thinking about stuff I was doing or pull me away from it or put stuff away so I do something else LOL

I have so many other stuff too much to list. But I have it I don't need doc to diagnose cuz its SO obvious lol
I don't want meds cuz I hate taking meds it takes a lot for me to take tylenol lol

i was just thinking about the clean... if my niece lay her head on my pillow.. i changed the pillowcase? i dont like to touch people's germs. i rather have my own germs. strange? If people touch my remote control or my cell phone. i clean it with wipe off ensure it is clean? same as my keyboard and mouse. they have to be clean anmd sprayed with lysol every day. same goes for my car steering wheel .. it have to be my own.. my ex palyed with his nose and not wipe it off on his pant and put it back on wheel.. i was like ewwww... when we got home.. i wiped off the wheel with wipe off then spray with lysol.. yuck!!!!

my mom said stop that.. u gonna get those hands raw and bleeding if u dont stop washing it... i said but GERMS! lol.. i guess it started when i was working in restaurant cooking foods.. i dindt want germs on peoples foods so i always make sure my hands are clean and free of germs.. also one day i cut my finger.. i put bandaid on .. i got salmonella poisoning in my finger from touching meat?? even tho i washed my hands lot and change bandaid? i still got it.. so next time i have to weigh the hamburger patties.. i use gloves so i wont get salmonella poisoning in my cuts if I HAVE any... if i dont have any then not use gloves..

i think it started after that when i got salmonella poisoning cuz before that it was not that bad with me.. but now? freaked over germs.. :(

Yes I have OCD. My mom have it too but she have is mild form so she don't take meds she just cosntantly check if stove is off and if all her kids are still breathing when we all were kids that's it.

But for me, I can't stop picking loose thread on clothes, even other object like chair, other person clothes, purse, etc it just makes me go crazy if I don't pick thread till it stop. Usually when whole thread is gone lmao. I can't help it! 1 time i was watching movie and I was picking my favorite shirt's thread I didn't know I was doing it till too late my whole half of shirt came apart! So I grabbed front part and ran to room to change shirt! (Exposed my bra!) it suck! It was my favorite shirt!!

Lol and other is I have to put certain amount of sugar in tea or cheerio cereal or salt on my food or it'll feel "wrong" even if it doesn't need it.

Always adjusting the blanket constantly to be perfect, or anything else it have to "feel right" before I do anything else or I'll feel anxious. My usual cure if my fiance found me doing that he'll grab stuff away from me and say stop! Then hug me to distract me from thinking about stuff I was doing or pull me away from it or put stuff away so I do something else LOL

I have so many other stuff too much to list. But I have it I don't need doc to diagnose cuz its SO obvious lol
I don't want meds cuz I hate taking meds it takes a lot for me to take tylenol lol
What you have is pretty mild... more common than you think.

Some think that it's a problem, but it isn't really a problem... more of a "habit".

I do the same thing sometimes depending on my habits.

If I know for sure that I turned off the light in the kitchen, then I will know for sure later on during the night when I go to bed. However, if I wasn't paying attention to my actions when I left the kitchen... then I would think to check the kitchen light before I go to bed.

I have a messy room. When I clean it up, I have a system of cleaning up... sometimes. Most of the time, I just rush and clean it up without being too picky.

There are people who have it more severe than you do. They have to turn the lights on and off 5 times, they have to jiggle the door handle 5 times, they have to pat the bed 5 times, they have to look around 5 times, they have to close the door 5 times, etc... (it can be a different number depending on the individual).

There was a show on television last year on OCD. They followed a few people around during their daily lives to see how they acted. One girl had to have her cup half full or it wasn't good enough. So, her parents had to pour her drink in/out every time. She had to have specific portions of her meals served, not too much or too little. She even had to have her food perfectly separated and not mixed. There was a guy who always took an exact number of toilet paper an exact number of times every time he used the bathroom. He would flip the light switch on and off an exact number of times whenever he left the bathroom.

There's a television series called Monk where he has to touch things that are set up in a pattern (parking meters, light posts, etc). He has to keep things clean and organized.

There's also a movie called As Good As It Gets starring Jack Nicholson as a guy who uses one fresh new bar of soap each time he washes his hands and avoids stepping on cracks on the sidewalks.

So, don't feel bad. I consider you "normal". ;)

i was just thinking about the clean... if my niece lay her head on my pillow.. i changed the pillowcase? i dont like to touch people's germs. i rather have my own germs. strange? If people touch my remote control or my cell phone. i clean it with wipe off ensure it is clean? same as my keyboard and mouse. they have to be clean anmd sprayed with lysol every day. same goes for my car steering wheel .. it have to be my own.. my ex palyed with his nose and not wipe it off on his pant and put it back on wheel.. i was like ewwww... when we got home.. i wiped off the wheel with wipe off then spray with lysol.. yuck!!!!

my mom said stop that.. u gonna get those hands raw and bleeding if u dont stop washing it... i said but GERMS! lol.. i guess it started when i was working in restaurant cooking foods.. i dindt want germs on peoples foods so i always make sure my hands are clean and free of germs.. also one day i cut my finger.. i put bandaid on .. i got salmonella poisoning in my finger from touching meat?? even tho i washed my hands lot and change bandaid? i still got it.. so next time i have to weigh the hamburger patties.. i use gloves so i wont get salmonella poisoning in my cuts if I HAVE any... if i dont have any then not use gloves..

i think it started after that when i got salmonella poisoning cuz before that it was not that bad with me.. but now? freaked over germs.. :(
The salmonella poisoning was probably a one-time thing. I'm sure that you have hurt yourself while handling meat a lot in the past, but nothing happened... until that one time.

We aren't always aware of things until it happens to us, then it seems to only happen when we see it.

For example, I used to drive a red LeBaron convertible (white top). When I started driving that car, I began to notice that a lot of other people had the same car I did. At first, I thought it was because it was a popular car. I then realized that it was because I was paying more attention to it. I started driving that LeBaron in 1992, but the car itself was a 1990 model. I saw a lot of 1990 models driving around too. Does that mean everyone suddenly started buying 1990 models? No. It's just because I noticed it... cuz I owned it. When I switched to a Saturn, it happened again... I saw a lot of people driving Saturns. That's cuz I'm "thinking" about it.

So, you probably handled meat a lot in the past while wearing bandaids or with a scrape or a cut, but didn't pay attention. One day, you get sick and you suddenly remember what you were doing when it happened. Now, it's stuck in your head as if it always happens when you are hurt. Try not to think about it. :)

What kind of OCD do you have? There are different kinds of OCD. Are you talking about the Monk-type OCD?

I mostly have mental obsesions and some obsessions about cleanliness and I do control the stove at home before going to sleep

Back