Hoping to interview someone and learn more about Deaf culture

meesh

Reaction score
I saw a documentary about a year ago that immediately sparked my interest in Deaf culture, as I was completely ignorant to it beforehand. I am now enrolled in a class called Deaf Culture and so far I love it! There is so much history that I never knew about, that nobody taught me in high school or otherwise. Our teacher gives us a lot of personal insight on growing up deaf, but we are now conducting interviews to get as many different perspectives from members of the Deaf community as possible.

If anyone is interested in letting me interview him/her via email or this thread, please leave a comment. There are 10 main questions I have, but the answers you give may spark additional questions. Can't wait to hear from you!

M

There are MANY threads here where people come to ask questions, and they've been answered quite often. Do a search and you'll likely find what you are looking for -- there is even a thread dedicated to this very subject. Good luck! :)

Yes, I was actually reading other posts on the site earlier and came across the thread you refer to (I believe it was posted by Jolie). I would like it to be known that the idea was to interview one person specifically, and my teacher directed me to forums because unlike almost everyone else in the class, I do not know ASL and am not part of the ASL major. I took the class purely out of interest, but now I wish I had taken other classes and learned to sign. I intend to do so in the near future :) I'd also like to say in regards to those who join the site to have their questions answered and then delete their account, I think that completely defeats the purpose of learning more about Deaf culture. I won't be deleting my account, in fact after posting I immediately started browsing other posts. I'm very grateful to be welcomed to alldeaf and hope to make some new friends!

I would still greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to be interviewed, because I'd like to get a cohesive point of view rather than throw together answers from multiple people with very different opinions, upbringings, etc. But I understand these questions must get redundant or annoying after a while, so I completely respect the fact that I might not get the interview I'm looking for. In the meantime I will take a look around to see past interviews/FAQs.

Thank you Alleycat for taking the time to read and respond! Much appreciated.

-M

If you have something new to ask, just post your list of questions. Someone will answer. Most people don't trust emailing strangers.

Thank you Botts!

I have been looking through many of the old posts and now I see why this is such a nuisance. I wonder if all teachers point their students to forums? I asked mine if she knew anyone personally that would be willing to speak to me via email and she told me there were many online forums I could go to. Now I feel like an arse "/

Like I said, I will continue reading through old posts. But for anyone who would like to respond, the list of questions goes as follows:

1. How did you become deaf/were you born deaf?

2. How was it discovered that you're deaf?

3. How did your family react?

4. Does anyone in your family know sign language and if so, what kind of sign system was used? If not, how do you communicate with family members?

5. What is your educational background and the communication method used there ( (oral, SEE, ASL, etc)?

6. What is your current communication method?

7. What is your role in the Deaf Culture and how do you feel about it? Do you feel comfortable or conflicted? Why?

8. What kind of frustrating experiences have you had?

9. How do you feel about Cochlear implants?

10. What kind of changes would you want to see or make in the hearing world?

(End of interview questions.)

I was unaware of the controversy behind Cochlear implants before (as I'm sure most hearing people are), but the documentary I mentioned earlier that I rented last year, brought that issue to light for me. It's called the Sound and the Fury-has anyone seen it? It was amazing to see the completely polar dynamics of each side of the family and how they felt about Cochlear implants and being Deaf. I personally would not put my baby through the risk of an operation like that, for there would be no reason to. I would just be ecstatic to have a healthy baby that I could love and raise and care for. Do you think it is an inherent fear parents have as a result of not having any knowledge of or connections to the Deaf world? Or do you think it has more to do with doctors pushing these options on to the parents?

Born
Parents always suspected. It runs in my family.

Don't think they cared.

4. Does anyone in your family know sign language and if so, what kind of sign system was used? If not, how do you communicate with family members?
Yes. We know ASL, but more PSE really, but I talk, a lot, they talk or sign if I can't get the idea what they are saying.

5. What is your educational background and the communication method used there ( (oral, SEE, ASL, etc)?

From 6th grade on, mainstream no accomodations, front row seating, and extra help from any teachers who cared after school. All oral.

Oral, PSE, mainly writing.

7. What is your role in the Deaf Culture and how do you feel about it? Do you feel comfortable or conflicted? Why?
'
Minimal. I have other health problems.

The worst is being mocked by teens.

My auditory nerves are eaten. I don't qualify. I would not want surgery so close to the brain if I did.

10. What kind of changes to the world.

Everyone should carry a wifi enabled tablet computer and be ready to communicate with me on my terms. ;)

Mocked by teens? That's awful, I was probably a shitty teen but I never went around mocking anyone. Seems a lot of them have nothing better to do than play video games and hate on the world.

10. What kind of changes to the world.

Everyone should carry a wifi enabled tablet computer and be ready to communicate with me on my terms. ;)

^I love that answer :)

Thanks for answering my questions.

I was born profoundly deaf

I am the fifth baby. When I was 9 months old standing and waiting for my sister to come home by looking through the window. My mom dropped the big pot on the floor real loud and I did not look back. My mom knew there was something wrong with my hearing issues before the incident. I was brought to see doctor, the first doctor got my attention by looking at the shine bell and said I was hearing. :roll: So Mom didn't like the first doctor and brought me to see other doctor. Good enough that I was deaf. :D

They all were surprised and unprepared. Normally they all were upset about it for a short time then they had to accept who i am and made sure that I feel being part of family with them. So They all were willing to learn sign language ( same thing as ASL ).

my parents learned sign language from deaf school where there was other hearing parents who knows ASL because of their parents were deaf. Therefore, the mom taught sign language to my parents at home. Most of times they could not able to find the proper signs then made up signs in order to communicate with me about something then I know what they were talking about. Of course, I corrected and taught them how to sign the proper signs after we had conversations.

Most of times, PSE in my young years but now I use mixed PSE and ASL.

I d like to think that I sign ASL. :D

I feel normal. My family treats me totally normal. You can say that I am so proud of being in the deaf culture. I love ASL. I don't care if others feel sorry for me if I miss out not able to hear or speak. Its their problems, not mine. I have my way around people over years and feel fine. *shrugs*

maybe I first learned that my family is hearing except me. I tried to understand why I am chosen to be deaf, not them. Why was I different such as method communication with hearing people. Eventually, I learned a lot about hearing culture and deaf culture are different. Today, I can handle both with hearing world and deaf world with no problem. :)

I think it's GREAT for others. I am a candidate for cochlear implant. I almost went for it but I decided not to. Two major reasons: I can't image how foreign objects is in your body for a long time. It can go wrong unexpectedly. *shudder* and cochlear implants are way way way way expensive!!! I prefer hearing aid. In fact, I wear my HA. My hubby has a CI. He complains that CI often fell off from his head more than HA.

I really like the idea what Botti's suggestion. awesome!! everyone relys on technologies so why not! I have been talking to hearing people by using cell phone in front of each other. lol

born with a hearing loss, different issue took all the hearing away
Problems hearing in school
mother shocked, father curious
no one knows or is very interested. I can read lips mostly and I can speak. Most times, I miss a lot.
High school graduate from public mainstream school. Oral but now learning ASL.
Oral, learning ASL.
I am learning more and more but I have minimal exposure.
Missed out on a lot due to lack of knowledge.
Some people have fared well, others have not. I would never for myself if I could.
More awareness and ease of communication.

Thanks for your response Frisky and Kristina.

Frisky- I can see your concerns with putting a foreign object into your body, especially so close to the brain as Botts mentioned. While I have minimal knowledge of CI's and the procedure, I do have experience with something else. I was born with bad eyesight and had glasses by the time I was five, contact lenses by age 7 (to slow down my rapidly increasing loss of sight). When I was 12, I was told that I could very possibly be blind by my mid to late 30s. I couldn't get correctional eye surgery before turning 18, and there was a chance that my eyes would be so far gone by that point that I wouldn't be able to get the surgery because it would not help. When I finally turned 18, I had been accepted into film school and had ambitions of being a cinematographer for documentary. My sight would be essential, and I was at a stage where it could be fully recovered, so I went for it. It was pricey but I cannot imagine how much more expensive a CI is. Has your husband had to replace it or have further surgery?

Kristina- I agree, there is not enough awareness. I can say I never discriminated or judged a Deaf person, but I was barely taught a single thing about Deaf history, culture, programs, etc until now. I remember as a small child playing the game "would you rather", and one of the common questions was "would you rather be blind or deaf?" Looking back I realize what an awful assumption it is that someone would be unhappy in either situation, but children aren't taught any better. My view first changed when my 4th grade teacher invited her Deaf parents to spend an afternoon talking to us and answering questions (she acted as interpreter) and I saw how happy and proud they were to be Deaf.

I was born deaf because my mother had high fever from 4 months to the time I was born. My mother almost nearly died from the fever.

My Mother probably knew about my hearing issues. :dunno: But my mother took me to the hospital in Minneapolis, Minnesota in the early 1950. I went through the brain wires and told my Mother that I was deaf.

I don't recall about their reaction. But both of my parents want me to lipread and talk. They put me in mainstream school which I hate oral-only program. They never learn to sign for me.

No, my Mother and my Father and my sister never sign to me at all. They expected me to talk to them and it was difficult for me to understand them. Most of the time I was being by myself whether I was in the bush or in my room or the living room just reading books.

Both in elementary and high school settings, it was mostly oral-only. I never get to have my say or have my right to have an ASL lessons and get an interpreters in classrooms so that I can understand much better learning the lessons like hearing children. I tried lipreading and never understand what the lessons was about. I did tried to studied on the books but it was not helpful unless the teacher explained to us about the lessons. I don't know how I get passed through schools and graduated from high school. That is what puzzled me as I would surely failed in high school. Special education in both elementary and then 7th, 8th and 9th grades in high school. I had to go without any accommodations like ASL interpreters, notetakers and movies that should have open-captioned back in early 1960 to 1966. That was what puzzled me why I graduated from high school with only D mark for my grades. After I graduated from high school, I went to the Deaf Lutheran Church and the pastor taught me how to sign SEE (Signed Exact English) which I thought it was part of ASL. But anyway, I sign ASL much better than trying to understand hearing people who don't sign. :crazy:

I speak English, but have a deaf voice. I sign ASL better than using my voice.

I am more comfortable communicating ASL in the Deaf community in the Deaf Culture where we have an understanding of who we are and to enjoy being in the ASL environment. ASL Rocks.

I communicate with hearing people orally and most hearing won't hire me if I want to work in an office as a Office clerk. They are not willing to give any accommodations to help us survive in the workplace.

It is just surgery and I think it is up to the individual who are close to teenager than having to start at babies. Babies are precious and should not have surgery at a very young age. Any deaf individual can understand what the CI is all about and want to have CI. Then they can make the decision to have one.

Most of the time hearing people will never stop at hounding me or other deaf people to get CIs or trying to pressure us to learn their way instead of our way. They think that hearing is the best way. So it is not going to change. It would be nice if there is a education lessons for ignorant teens and adults to understand our way to use ASL and to be comfortable in the Deaf Culture. Now with the CI in the 21st century which is similar like hearing aids only better sounds, but not pick up the words very well. Hearing people are so stubborn believing with the CI, the profoundly deaf will be able to listen and hear sounds clearly. Not true at all. That is why we have been fighting hearing people to understand our deaf perspectives.

I am more comfortable being deaf. I was born with it and still remain to be deaf. There will never be a cure for me to hear clearly and to listen. I am happy being Deaf. And I would not change anything with my hearing loss. DEAF rocks!!!

My mother was told I am HOH because she when she was at the zoo she went into the lions den when she was pregnant with me and she rest her arms on her belly!!

Born deaf.

Since my family came down with Rubella, including my mother so they are aware that it could cause deafness along with other problems. They found out for sure when I was 5 months. Before that, my mother was confused because I turned my head to look at her when she plodded into the room. She didn't realized until much later that I felt the viberations from her footsteps. I also didn't wake up when my siblings popped a balloon when they were fighting over it.

I don't know the answer.

No. My sisters know some spelling. Mostly it is oral method. They do talk more clearly and abit slow for me. My mother would use homemade sign language when I was little.

Preschool to elementary school use oral method. High school uses ASL.

ASL and oral method depending on who I am talking to.

Very comfortable in Deaf Culture now. I am upset that there are hearing people who don't listen to the deaf people's concerns about Deaf Education, Cochlear Implant, jobs for the deaf (and equality), communication methods, etc.

Mostly relating to job experiences. Oh, I forgot.... the oral method at school really stunk and because of that, the education for the deaf stunk, too. I want a better education because I knew I can do more difficult schooling (aside from math - my weak suit) and this is how I convinced my parents to send me to a private school for the deaf.

Don't like it as it increases the chance of meningitis and thus the chance of dying. I strongly feel that it should be the child's choice not the parents (not before they are 18 years old). Why the deaf child have to be 'dying' to learn to speak when it won't 'kill' the hearing parents to learn ASL. I won't go for CI. I was discriminated because I am Deaf eventhough I wear hearing aids and can speak.....why go for very expenisve and dangerous CI and still get discriminated??? Doesn't make sense to me.

That the hearing people would heed our concerns regarding communication methods, Deaf education, Job equality for the Deaf, CI issues and that the deaf children need to be with other deaf children for their self-esteem.

That they would know the difference between born-Deaf and late-deafened. Most of those who were born deaf don't really care about hearing because they never had it in the first place. Most of those who became deaf after they learned to speak, would do anything to get their hearing back because they know what it was like before. Those in between could go either way.

That they would be more willing to learn sign language.... either ASL or PSE to improve their communication with us and helping themselves if they go deaf themselves or found themselves in situations where they really need sign language - for example, being intubed prevents them to speak.

That they would be more willing to learn sign language.... either ASL or PSE to improve their communication with us and helping themselves if they go deaf themselves or found themselves in situations where they really need sign language - for example, being intubed prevents them to speak.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I honestly believe that they should have the option to learn Sign Language in hearing schools...

I would have totally signed up to do Auslan at my school if it was offered along side French & Italian...

At least Sign Language will help you to communicate with the small population in your OWN country!!!

Congenital hearing loss

2. Does anyone in your family know sign language and if so, what kind of sign system was used? If not, how do you communicate with family members?
Using oral, auditory, lip reading and face to face communication along with sometime being a little expressive. You could usually see the difference that my family members were usually a little more expressive when conversing with me than they normally would when communicating with others. That was also before I had the CI.

Mainstreaming, oral, auditory and lipreading. That was before I had the CI.

Oral, auditory and lipreading. Even with better hearing, I still basically need the face to face communication. Especially when having long conversations.

That although I feel I've been personally benefiting from it. And have also sometime been told that my communication skills has improved since I got one.

However, just cause some of the deaf like it or are benefiting from it mean it's an indication that all of the deaf should get one or will benefit from it. It's still very much an individual thing. And some of the deaf may even consider it to be a little rude if they were asked or approached about getting one.

I also currently have just one CI and am not planning to get another one at the moment. Whereas I kind of compromised, getting one to improve my hearing and to work on my communication skills in some aspects. And to leave the other ear open for future developments. Cause I'm concerned that I'd not be able to benefit from future research in the implanted ear.

More progress in the science and technology field to help those that want to hear better would be one. However, not all of the deaf has a desire to hear better and that needs to be respected.

And that the progress in the science and technology field doesn't have to be limited to just cochlear implants. There's also more advanced hearing aids and other such related research.

And that it would also be helpful if there were some type of an automatic speech to text translator that would not involve a 3rd party. Whereas some of the deaf could follow the speaker pretty good in a small setting. However, would find this type of device helpful in a larger setting or in places where they may not get a good view of the speaker (i.e. someone speaking from the audience). And this might also be helpful to many of the deaf regardless of ones background.

Last edited:
Back