to those BORN with severe-profound hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
.. now you're starting to get the idea..

NO, YOU do not get it. If those hoh kids who were labeled as " almost hearing" come here saying they wish they had been able to become fluent in sign, and had exposure to deaf Ed/deaf culture/deaf community, I think that says a lot about the hearing worlds assumption that hoh kids are more hearing then deaf. You know Cloggy, believe it or not those of us who speak out against oral only are not just severe/profound ers who only got to moderate listening levels with our aids/cis. many of us were labeled as "almost hearing" who didn't " need" asl and other stuff that deafer kids got....Guess what? I listen to music ( and love it) as do many of my deaf friends. I am actually an aural learner. I can hear a lot of stuff with my hearing aids...but that doesn't make me hearing at ALL. I know it's hard for you to believe, but there have been generations of hearing parents of deaf kids, who have been convinced that their kid is going to thrive in the hearing world, bc their kid could fake it. it would be just like YOU being able to function somewhat with English, but your strength is your native language

I second that! I am one of those adults!

We're saying that technology has its limitations. How do you handle noisy situations? how will Lotte handle dating when she is an older teen? " wait a second...here's the mic for the fm system.....oh shit it's broken. "
How do you handle times whe the ci is broken? Lotte cannot function without the CI at all. We have a member who grew up auditory verbal. When his cis broke, he couldn't function at ALL without them. Like he couldn't even speech read....now I find that really really sad that oral only kids cannot function at all without their listening devices.

This is why I'm taking ASL...I never want to be totally stuck to communicating with just pen and paper. Not that that's a horrible thing..but a lot of people ignore it..if I write instructions on my phone people will A. Ignore it. B. Read it and then talk to me anyway-thus ignoring it or C. actually do what I want...C is very rare ...So are ASL users but at least I could get a terp for important stuff if need be when and if CI/HA breaks/isn't working

We're saying that technology has its limitations. How do you handle noisy situations? how will Lotte handle dating when she is an older teen? " wait a second...here's the mic for the fm system.....oh shit it's broken. "
How do you handle times whe the ci is broken? Lotte cannot function without the CI at all. We have a member who grew up auditory verbal. When his cis broke, he couldn't function at ALL without them. Like he couldn't even speech read....now I find that really really sad that oral only kids cannot function at all without their listening devices.

ME? :wave:

But seriously, everything he is saying is true. I learned the hard way that I need to learn ASL so I have a back up communication style. Now I am pretty good with ASL and really happy I have learned it. I am actually teaching sign now with groups that are interested in asl here at RIT.

I wouldnt say I couldnt function at all without my CI, but life was tough, using paper and pen all the damn time and no one putting effort in trying to communicate (#mainstreamproblems). I would say, I dont really care if i cant speech read, that was the point of training to hear. I mean, that is the reason why the teacher for the deaf and audiologist would cover their faces with paper and test how much you can hear. It trains and it has been effective with me and many other CI users.

In fact, I rather use ASL than speak when its noisy all over the place. Its.. more simple than trying hard to listen. I been teaching some people signs just because of the fact that sometimes it gets noisy.

I never used the FM system though, never believed in technology that makes your hearing lazy.

Dating: Just let your partner know you can hear better on a certain side and have them walk on the side or talk to that side kinda lol. And that you cant hear all the time, and they need to know that. Its really never a problem for me.

\\\\\\\\\\\
I will add that after talking to few people with CI and very oralist, we all have shared stories of how parents, adults, and peers expected us to hear everything and talk very well. The fact is, we cant. We try, we will try to met these people expectations, but gotta face the truth, we can't meet the expectations. Its still an issue in the real world, but theres no solution to it than just simply say "sorry, what did you say" many times.

We even had complaints how we hated going to the movies and parents still asked many times if we would like to go to the movies. We all hated going to the movies because we didn't know they offered CC, and we all love going to the movies now since they got sony DVs and we have NO problems using subtitles with DVDs. People used to say "if you can hear me now, why cant you hear in the movies..." its literally impossible to explain why.
\\\\\\\\\\\

funny thing is, nowadays at restaurants, I would sometimes text on my phone what I would like and show them the phone and no questions asked :) lol

But seriously, everything he is saying is true. I learned the hard way that I need to learn ASL so I have a back up communication style. Now I am pretty good with ASL and really happy I have learned it. I am actually teaching sign now with groups that are interested in asl here at RIT.

I wouldnt say I couldnt function at all without my CI, but life was tough, using paper and pen all the damn time and no one putting effort in trying to communicate (#mainstreamproblems). I would say, I dont really care if i cant speech read, that was the point of training to hear. I mean, that is the reason why the teacher for the deaf and audiologist would cover their faces with paper and test how much you can hear. It trains and it has been effective with me and many other CI users.

In fact, I rather use ASL than speak when its noisy all over the place. Its.. more simple than trying hard to listen. I been teaching some people signs just because of the fact that sometimes it gets noisy.

I never used the FM system though, never believed in technology that makes your hearing lazy.

Dating: Just let your partner know you can hear better on a certain side and have them walk on the side or talk to that side kinda lol. And that you cant hear all the time, and they need to know that. Its really never a problem for me.

\\\\\\\\\\\
I will add that after talking to few people with CI and very oralist, we all have shared stories of how parents, adults, and peers expected us to hear everything and talk very well. The fact is, we cant. We try, we will try to met these people expectations, but gotta face the truth, we can't meet the expectations. Its still an issue in the real world, but theres no solution to it than just simply say "sorry, what did you say" many times.

We even had complaints how we hated going to the movies and parents still asked many times if we would like to go to the movies. We all hated going to the movies because we didn't know they offered CC, and we all love going to the movies now since they got sony DVs and we have NO problems using subtitles with DVDs. People used to say "if you can hear me now, why cant you hear in the movies..." its literally impossible to explain why.
\\\\\\\\\\\

funny thing is, nowadays at restaurants, I would sometimes text on my phone what I would like and show them the phone and no questions asked :) lol
THANK you bballboy! Do you also find that it takes a lot less energy to sign and use other dhh accommodations too? our point is, that the more tools in the toolbox the better.....btw, I wasn't talking about dating, dating...Although I bet there are audis who expect young deaf people to use a fm device. I was talking about when things get more intimidate.:laugh2:
And you have said, even thou you're an oral success and talk very well, that you wish you'd had asl early on. I think that says something that a person who's the product of a methodology designed to assimilate dhh kids into the hearing world, is speaking out for a full toolbox. Cloggy, you simply have no idea how much energy it takes for dhh kids to hear. It's a fact that its a weak point. WHY concentrate so much on a weak point? Why not add something that will most likely capitalize on the natural visual processing strength that most dhh kids have? We don't educate other people by exclusively concentrating on their deflects and ignoring their strengths, right? S why do we do that with dhh kids? Even a lot of oral success kids have pragmatic social difficulties in using language...sign and deaf culture give them a tool to capitalize on that strength. it also gives them a sense of community and belonging. You always hear oral successes saying that they don't fit in with hearing people, and don't have the ability to use a terp.

This is why we decided to do a dual approach with our son. (Also, when a newborn baby is identified as dhh you really have no idea what kind of language is going to work - there is no 3-month-old in the world who can speak, no matter what their hearing is like!) Harry, as it turns out, is very aural/oral, and he's doing great with the English language. But when we go to swimming class, forget it. That's when he says to me, "Mum you have to tell them that I'm deaf, and they need to learn sign language." (n.b. I did tell his swimming instructor he's deaf, but that's another story... argh)

I learned the hard way that I need to learn ASL so I have a back up communication style. Now I am pretty good with ASL and really happy I have learned it. I am actually teaching sign now with groups that are interested in asl here at RIT.

Thank you. Thank you for saying it like it is. No sugar-coating it. No make-believe from others pretending they know what it's like. I'm sorry things got tough for you. And glad you are finding ways to fix that -- with the ASL at RIT, texting, etc.

This is why we decided to do a dual approach with our son. (Also, when a newborn baby is identified as dhh you really have no idea what kind of language is going to work - there is no 3-month-old in the world who can speak, no matter what their hearing is like!) Harry, as it turns out, is very aural/oral, and he's doing great with the English language. But when we go to swimming class, forget it. That's when he says to me, "Mum you have to tell them that I'm deaf, and they need to learn sign language." (n.b. I did tell his swimming instructor he's deaf, but that's another story... argh)

You can't go wrong with the dual (or more than dual! :) ) approach. No such thing as knowing too many languages. I'm glad your 3-year old has the confidence to tell you that he needs other options other than listening in his swim class. It sounds like you are doing awesome with your son. Kudos !!

LOL.. Well done by your son. Brings back memories..
Lotte (my daughter, The girl that DeafDyke knows cannot function without CI..) now has 2 swimming diploma's. We tend to let them swim a lot when we are in Holland. Lotte had swimming-lessons 4 x a week...
Took the swimming course without being able to hear.. Teacher (Dutch) didn't know sign language. Lotte didn't use it... She looks and learns. What we did do was having her big brother be present all the time and help her understand when needed..

Had Lotte knows sign language, she would have been in the same situation. After all, she would learn sign language in Norway, which is similar to Dutch, but what are the chances of meeting a swim teacher that knows sign...??
So, that's why we have not focused on sign language. We focused on Lotte being able to speak Norwegian and Dutch.. With that we already slow down the process of her catching up the time she lost deaf. Having one language would have been preferable. (There's an article by Knoors / Marschark about that..) and we notice how much more progress she makes when we are in Holland, when she uses 1 language.

Signlanguage is a wonderful language. A child will learn to use signs, and when the rolemodels are good enough the child will learn sign language.
We would not have been able to be rolemodel for Lotte to learn signlanguage... She would need to learn that on a school with deaf teachers... or with intense contact with deaf people...

So... do we invest time on a language she is very, very likely not to use when shes growing up, or let we have her spend that time playing outside with children from the neighbourhood and school.?

-------
Here's the article..
Language Planning for the 21st Century: Revisiting Bilingual Language Policy for Deaf Children
Harry Knoors1,2,* and Marc Marschark3,4
Abstract
For over 25 years in some countries and more recently in others, bilingual education involving sign language and the written/spoken vernacular has been considered an essential educational intervention for deaf children. With the recent growth in universal newborn hearing screening and technological advances such as digital hearing aids and cochlear implants, however, more deaf children than ever before have the potential for acquiring spoken language. As a result, the question arises as to the role of sign language and bilingual education for deaf children, particularly those who are very young. On the basis of recent research and fully recognizing the historical sensitivity of this issue, we suggest that language planning and language policy should be revisited in an effort to ensure that they are appropriate for the increasingly diverse population of deaf children.

Last edited:

And high five for you! I think too that you may see him using sign a lot more as he gets older, and as spoken language gets more sophisticated/difficult. Like when he's older he'll be able to use a terp and all for classes. I actually think that there's going to be a lot of deaf kids like Harry....pretty oral/aural but still has strong sign abilities... In other words bilingual...and I do think that quite a few oral success kids will discover asl and deaf culture as teens....that almost seems to be a tradition. I think you'll have a very emotionally healthy little boy, as he'll be able to function in both the hearing worlds and the deaf worlds...that's another thing I do t understand about oral only folks. HOW does a dhh kid develop good self esteem when the unspoken attitude is " you must become normal. You must function normally. the only important thing is to function as normally as possible. You have to expend all your energy on functioning as normally as possible." I wish there were more parents out there like you!

LOL.. Well done by your son. Brings back memories..
Lotte (my daughter, The girl that DeafDyke knows cannot function without CI..) now has 2 swimming diploma's. We tend to let them swim a lot when we are in Holland. Lotte had swimming-lessons 4 x a week...
Took the swimming course without being able to hear.. Teacher (Dutch) didn't know sign language. Lotte didn't use it... She looks and learns. What we did do was having her big brother be present all the time and help her understand when needed..

Had Lotte knows sign language, she would have been in the same situation. After all, she would learn sign language in Norway, which is similar to Dutch, but what are the chances of meeting a swim teacher that knows sign...??
So, that's why we have not focused on sign language. We focused on Lotte being able to speak Norwegian and Dutch.. With that we already slow down the process of her catching up the time she lost deaf. Having one language would have been preferable. (There's an article by Knoors / Marschark about that..) and we notice how much more progress she makes when we are in Holland, when she uses 1 language.

Signlanguage is a wonderful language. A child will learn to use signs, and when the rolemodels are good enough the child will learn sign language.
We would not have been able to be rolemodel for Lotte to learn signlanguage... She would need to learn that on a school with deaf teachers... or with intense contact with deaf people...

So... do we invest time on a language she is very, very likely not to use when shes growing up, or let we have her spend that time playing outside with children from the neighbourhood and school.?

-------
Here's the article..
Language Planning for the 21st Century: Revisiting Bilingual Language Policy for Deaf Children
Harry Knoors1,2,* and Marc Marschark3,4
Abstract
For over 25 years in some countries and more recently in others, bilingual education involving sign language and the written/spoken vernacular has been considered an essential educational intervention for deaf children. With the recent growth in universal newborn hearing screening and technological advances such as digital hearing aids and cochlear implants, however, more deaf children than ever before have the potential for acquiring spoken language. As a result, the question arises as to the role of sign language and bilingual education for deaf children, particularly those who are very young. On the basis of recent research and fully recognizing the historical sensitivity of this issue, we suggest that language planning and language policy should be revisited in an effort to ensure that they are appropriate for the increasingly diverse population of deaf children.
can Lotte function totally and completely without her CI for a long period of time? I doubt it. She is 100% dependant on her CI. SHe can speech read a bit, which is good...but what do you do when she is in a difficult listening sit union or has to take off her fm in a more intimidate setting? also whynarenyounso positive that she will not learn Sign as an older kid or a teen? it's very common for kids to learn sign as a second language....how are you going to react when she asks you " why didn't you learn sign for me?"
Why are you assuming that she will reap all the rewards of the hearing/mainstream world? You seem to think that she'll magically assimilate into the hearing world. What willmyoundo if she ends up in an abusive relationship. Bc she never got to develop socially and emotionally, since she was spending all her energy trying to fake being normal? what will you do if she ends up psychologically screwed up bc she spent so much energy faking it? You are not the first hearing parent to gush about their dhh kid being so hearing...but you're also not seeing a hell of a lot of the downsides...and that's a very important thing to consider. why is it so important to you that Lotte spend all her enengy speaking and hearing? sk yourself that Is it bc it seems more normal? Then that means that you really haven't accepted yourndaughternfromwho she really is. You're just so enthralled that she can superficially fit in, that you are not seeing the downsides....and that my dear is not a good thing. many of us were orally and aurally successful as kids..and many of us were told " oh you don't need asl/deaf culture. You just need to function as normally as possible!"

There is no such thing as, "normal".

Glad we got that cleared up.

can Lotte function totally and completely without her CI for a long period of time? I doubt it.
In case of the power grid breaking down, no more batteries... she will not be able to hear.
She is 100% dependant on her CI.
I just gave you an example, and you're still at 100%. Impressive.
SHe can speech read a bit, which is good...but what do you do when she is in a difficult listening sit union or has to take off her fm in a more intimidate setting? also whynarenyounso positive that she will not learn Sign as an older kid or a teen?
That's new for me. Where did I say that.. Assuming again.. You should really stop that..
it's very common for kids to learn sign as a second language....
That would be 4th for her..
how are you going to react when she asks you " why didn't you learn sign for me?"
I'll sign "Because you can hear and speak Dutch and Norwegian and 2 languages was enough at that time. Now stop whining and do your signlanguage homework."
Why are you assuming that she will reap all the rewards of the hearing/mainstream world? You seem to think that she'll magically assimilate into the hearing world. What willmyoundo if she ends up in an abusive relationship.
Jeeezzz. Are you preparing for all possibilities in life?
Bc she never got to develop socially and emotionally, since she was spending all her energy trying to fake being normal?
Assuming - again...
what will you do if she ends up psychologically screwed up bc she spent so much energy faking it?
Assuming - again...
You are not the first hearing parent to gush about their dhh kid being so hearing...but you're also not seeing a hell of a lot of the downsides...and that's a very important thing to consider. why is it so important to you that Lotte spend all her enengy speaking and hearing? sk yourself that Is it bc it seems more normal?
"Normal" is in the eye of the beholder... But your doomsday expectations are noted..
Then that means that you really haven't accepted yourndaughternfromwho she really is.
Who is she?. My deaf child that grows up hearing... and much more...
You're just so enthralled that she can superficially
Assuming...
fit in, that you are not seeing the downsides....and that my dear
Eeeek:shock:
is not a good thing. many of us were orally and aurally successful as kids..and many of us were told " oh you don't need asl/deaf culture. You just need to function as normally as possible!"
My goodness. Are you preparing for doomsday? Or are all the scenarios that you just wrote here based on your own experiences..

Because, like I said before, you cannot compare YOUR life with YOUR parents YEARS ago with the life Lotte has with us NOW.

I'm sorry your parents said those things to you. I'm sorry that you ended up in a bad relationship, lost your lover etc. etc...
But do not think that you have a clue about the life Lotte is living.
It is really time for you to meet children and adults that have grown up with CI.

Last edited:
In case of the power grid breaking down, no more batteries... she will not be able to hear.I just gave you an example, and you're still at 100%. Impressive.That's new for me. Where did I say that.. Assuming again.. You should really stop that..That would be 4th for her.."Because you can hear and speak Dutch and Norwegian and 2 languages was enough at that time. Now stop whining and do your Signlanguage homework."Jeeezzz. Are you preparing for all possibilities in life? Assuming - again...Assuming - again..."Normal" is in the eye of the beholder... But your doomsday expectations are noted.. Who is she?. My deaf child that grows up hearing... and much more... Assuming...Eeeek:shock:
My goodness. Are you preparing for doomsday? Or are all the scenarios that you just wrote here based on your own experiences..

Because, like I said before, you cannot compare YOUR life with YOUR parents YEARS ago with the life Lotte has with us NOW.

I'm sorry your parents said those things to you. I'm sorry that you ended up in a bad relationship, lost your lover etc. etc...
It is really time for you to meet children and adults that have grown up with CI.

I have had a pretty normal life with HA. I don't think it should be dependent upon either HA or CI...

That's both kind of incidental in the long term for most of us.

I think things are getting a bit out of hand here...I don't think it's fair to tell anyone how to raise their children. All people can do is give advice and if people want to parent their children a different way than that's great and hope it works out. I don't think we need to jump down other peoples throats about what they do with their children tho...this is what drives other parents away who look for advice.

Is it beneficial to learn ASL, yes it can be...I personally want to learn it because it will benefit me now. If I have deaf children they will learn ASL as a 2nd language and learn English as a second. Obviously if hearing aids or CI wasn't an option I would obvs have ASL as the primary. If I have hearing children I would teach them ASL as well just because I think it's an awesome language. But that doesn't mean that other people choose that. A "full toolbox" is great but what others decide is their choice. And that's my honest input and opinion on how I will raise my future children.

can Lotte function totally and completely without her CI for a long period of time? I doubt it. She is 100% dependant on her CI. SHe can speech read a bit, which is good...but what do you do when she is in a difficult listening sit union or has to take off her fm in a more intimidate setting? also whynarenyounso positive that she will not learn Sign as an older kid or a teen? it's very common for kids to learn sign as a second language....how are you going to react when she asks you " why didn't you learn sign for me?"
Why are you assuming that she will reap all the rewards of the hearing/mainstream world? You seem to think that she'll magically assimilate into the hearing world. What willmyoundo if she ends up in an abusive relationship. Bc she never got to develop socially and emotionally, since she was spending all her energy trying to fake being normal? what will you do if she ends up psychologically screwed up bc she spent so much energy faking it? You are not the first hearing parent to gush about their dhh kid being so hearing...but you're also not seeing a hell of a lot of the downsides...and that's a very important thing to consider. why is it so important to you that Lotte spend all her enengy speaking and hearing? sk yourself that Is it bc it seems more normal? Then that means that you really haven't accepted yourndaughternfromwho she really is. You're just so enthralled that she can superficially fit in, that you are not seeing the downsides....and that my dear is not a good thing. many of us were orally and aurally successful as kids..and many of us were told " oh you don't need asl/deaf culture. You just need to function as normally as possible!"

Why are you continuing to derail this thread by challenging Cloggy about his daughter's ability to function without CIs? Of course she can. Can you function without your HAs? Of course. You might just function differently. You belie your own insecurities about being a nonfunctioning deaf person by assuming this well-rounded, happy little girl would just shut off without a battery. What a lot of apocalyptical nonsense you are tossing around.

Children with CIs are proving to 'function' (academically and socially) on par with hearing peers, and are exhibiting a higher level of satisfaction in their lives than hearing peers. That's not just with the batteries in. Get over your obsession with this idea that the lights go out when a CI is off.

I'll sign "Because you can hear and speak Dutch and Norwegian and 2 languages was enough at that time. Now stop whining and do your signlanguage homework....

:laugh2: :thumb:

If you have advice/experience..... for the THREAD please post. Again if you have a SEVERE-PROFOUND hearing loss that have HEARING AIDS ...POST. If you have an opinion post some where else or make your own thread.
. I have to look over these comments in hopes that they will be helpful....Which MANY of them are and I thank you to those that posted. But now its turning and no longer being helpful. I know you are all free to post where ever you want most of the time
and post what
ever you want. But I really need useful commentary. not arugment.

Mine's around 95db and 100 db. I m wearing one HA. When i was a kid, and I wore two HAs all my life, included the old body hearing aid. I can hear only the common sounds such as people voice, song, telephone rings, dogs bark, walking, running or wind but not able to hear the very low sound like "S" or cats meowing or bird singing. Indeed, I had speech therapy for about 10 yrs. Needless to say, i fought with teachers, and parents about speech therapy. You could said that I was a rebal girl. The reason is that I did not want to miss out of the FUN activities at deaf school or at home. I did tell them that I am very happy what I have is ASL. I did not have problem when I went out to the hearing world. I think deaf school made me the way I am that I have self confidence. Remind you that my both of two sides grandparents speak English a little except my grandma was headstrong not to speak english but italian language. They all were farmers in other country. My dad speaks the mixed of english and italian. My mom is more of well educated person but always work. Most of them included my parents work hard for years to provide a good life family. SO I was growing up and was forced to read the book. I got fussy over it and I did not really read the books and always dislike reading the book. SO I don't regret of not speaking well but I DO regret of not reading the books enough when I was a kid. Please keep in mind that has nothing to do with my english due to using ASL. I started picking up English more when the computer/internet exists in early 1990's. Thank god for it.

My hub is the opposite that his db percents are more deaf than i am. His db was 110 and 115. He spent many hours of learning how to speak and listen with his two HAs all his life. Until a few years ago, when he was in a late 30's, he has tinnius issues that makes him sick such as veritgo, vomits and dizziness and many thing that is where He got fed up with it. He had tinnius issue since He was almost toddler. His doctor told him that CI will make tinnitus away so he went for it. Nope it didnt work out. However he likes CI better and able to hear, his first time heard cats meowing and recognize the four cats' voices the difference, can hear children's high pitches etc. He likes it alot. He told me that he did not want to go through the surgery again so he sticks with one surgery enough. He went to hearing school all his life all alone, had few friends but not long, and able to speak very well, lip reading very well and prefer small number of pople in group but not always one on one is much easier. He grew up reading the books in his free time. He didnt know ASL until he was 18. He was accepted from other several university. He wasn't satisfied about his own identify as a deaf person. He applied gallaudet and was accepted fast. He took a few honor courses but he prefers regular courses at gallaudet so he had more time for activities and organization. He said that if any kids get CI and still need ASL and be socialize with other deaf/hoh kids to build up self confience, and have kids to read book more. :)

Last edited:
If you have advice/experience..... for the THREAD please post. Again if you have a SEVERE-PROFOUND hearing loss that have HEARING AIDS ...POST. If you have an opinion post some where else or make your own thread.
. I have to look over these comments in hopes that they will be helpful....Which MANY of them are and I thank you to those that posted. But now its turning and no longer being helpful. I know you are all free to post where ever you want most of the time
and post what
ever you want. But I really need useful commentary. not arugment.

I made a kind of jokey (but still true) comment upthread about an FM system being not necessary because you can thump on a wall. Which we do at home all the time ;)

But more to the point about FM systems, my son uses FM at school and it's great. Someone upthread made a comment about FM use encouraging "lazy hearing" or something, and while I can see the point, I think that in school certainly you've got to do whatever you can to make sure your kid - hearing, deaf, or otherwise - is learning all he needs to.

We were thinking about getting an FM for home use - it would be great for talking in the car, since I'm facing away from my son when I'm driving, and there's all the car noise besides - but they are expensive. I mean everything is expensive, but FM is definitely out of reach for us. And considering the number of situations where we need something like FM but it wouldn't even work (thinking specifically of karate class - multiple instructors, all moving around too much to use a pass-around boom mike, they'd need 4 headset mikes to make it work) it's just not worthwhile for us. It might be for you, if you could by one FM to use with both kids (that would depend on what HAs they are both wearing though). And it's not something you can cheap out on; before the school got Harry's "permanent" FM, he had a crappy old loaner one that he constantly complained about, right up until he destroyed the receivers. Can't say I blame him.

That said: shop around. The first place I went to quoted around $4100, the second place, $3750. For the exact same system, as specified by a hospital audi.

Heck, shop around for everything. Something I learned: in my province (Ontario) there is a legislated cap on dispensing fees. Dispensers can't charge more than the wholesale price + $710 (I think) in fees. Some charge less, if you look around. Some include a service warranty in that dispensing fee, others charge more for every little thing. And of course, not every area has caps on fees. So our dispenser, who charges only around $500 for dispensing, and includes services like new hooks and retubing and other repairs in that amount, has clients who fly across the country to get their HAs from them. Because it's cheaper to take a 3-day vacation, a few dinners out, maybe catch a show, and buy hearing aids from my guy, than it is to just get hearing aids in their own home town.

I guess it's like some prescription meds, where you hear about busloads of seniors going to Winnipeg to hit the drugstores there.

Anyway I hope I've been a little bit helpful. I've been thinking about you, and how you've got enough to deal with without stepping in the middle of someone else's argument. You've already got some experience with your first child, but I remember when Harry was ID'd we were stunned to encounter what my husband calls the "culture war" between sign-only and oral-only advocates. We've really struggled to avoid taking sides (or having a side take us, if you know what I mean).

If you want to PM me Suzanne, please do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back