Native American child sent home over traditional mohawk

I don't know whay the big deal is anyway. Why not let everyone have mohawks? I honestly don't see how it's distracting.

I don't know whay the big deal is anyway. Why not let everyone have mohawks? I honestly don't see how it's distracting.

Maybe the school think it could be used as a weapon , I agree people so uptight about anyone dress difference . This is no more distracting than a kid wearing purple or blue hair to school .

A lot of schools ban hair dye now too. I think rules just for the sake of control are just mean. Kids need some self expression.

A lot of schools ban hair dye now too. I think rules just for the sake of control are just mean. Kids need some self expression.

My granddaughter has some blue streaks in her hair and her school is fine with that . She has blue streaks in the front , not her all of her hair. My daughter did it for her.

this sort cultural thing is good if child wants it

Maybe the school think it could be used as a weapon , I agree people so uptight about anyone dress difference . This is no more distracting than a kid wearing purple or blue hair to school .
a WEAPON?!! Ooookay. I don't think that's why the school would think that especially if you look at the picture of the kid's mohawk. I say they figure 7 years olds are going to be more interested in his mohawk than their school work; doubt his classmates would care all that much

Here's a video (no captions) and a picture of the kid
http://pix11.com/2015/09/20/american-indian-boy-pulled-out-of-class-in-utah-over-mohawk/

CPJ-oP2VEAADY0f.jpg large.jpg

a WEAPON?!! Ooookay. I don't think that's why the school would think that especially if you look at the picture of the kid's mohawk. I say they figure 7 years olds are going to be more interested in his mohawk than their school work; doubt his classmates would care all that much

Here's a video (no captions) and a picture of the kid
http://pix11.com/2015/09/20/american-indian-boy-pulled-out-of-class-in-utah-over-mohawk/

View attachment 22556

A weapon?
Thats funny.....

Well, could always poke somebody's eyes out.

It seems that once the parents documented that the boy's hairstyle is traditional to their tribe the school let him keep the style.

I don't think it was too much to request the documentation. Otherwise, anyone could claim anything was "traditional" without proving it.

Not everyone can be familiar with every group's every tradition.

THIS is one of several reason why I didn't have children. This is wrong, a western-run administration telling Native Americans how they can dress and look, and yet demanding a letter from the parents' "parents," the NA official who wrote the letter. The school officials have NO RIGHT to tell NAs anything, except "I'm sorry. Do you want me to move back to (insert country of ancestry)?"

Sure didn't come out sounding like "joking" to me. Words written on a page does not always convey humor. Especially when it is is written "Maybe they thought it was a weapon" with no indication of humor or a laugh.

But that's me.

Whatever.

THIS is one of several reason why I didn't have children. This is wrong, a western-run administration telling Native Americans how they can dress and look, and yet demanding a letter from the parents' "parents," the NA official who wrote the letter. The school officials have NO RIGHT to tell NAs anything, except "I'm sorry. Do you want me to move back to (insert country of ancestry)?"
As soon as the parents proved the information the school dropped the hairstyle requirement so what's the problem? The school wasn't telling just Native Americans how to dress and look; the dress code was for all the students. Once they learned that the it was a tribal tradition they let it go.

Whey shouldn't they ask for a letter? How else would the school admin know whether or not it was a legitimate tradition? Once they got the letter, problem solved.

Much media hype.

been big thing on british schools girls want wear trousers but many schools saying no unless relgion require legs covered this is unfair rules

Back