Is life harder for the deaf?

charchar

Reaction score
Hello all I am a hearing girl from nyc who has been learning asl. I also have been watching a show called Switched at Birth and one of the characters who is deaf name Daphne tells a guy she is dating that just because she is deaf it does not mean the world is harder it just means adjustments have to be made but he believes the world is harder for her. So I wanted to ask you guys what do you guys think about that question.

exactly that.

just because we are deaf it does not mean the world is harder, it just means adjustments have to be made.

How do you feel when Doctor refuse to process your physical check for your new job because you are deaf? He was like "you are deaf? you can not drive" and then declined my physical check request.

It happened to me last month, and yes I'm in process to sue him.

How do you feel when Doctor refuse to process your physical check for your new job because you are deaf? He was like "you are deaf? you can not drive" and then declined my physical check request.

Get that jerk's azz, Authentic!...unbelievable!

Apparently that doctor had no common sense. You'd think a doctor would know better. I'd be upset too!

Yes, definitely, it is harder. However, in my case, it makes it much easier to live alone as a Sannyasi and working to pull away from the material world to be able to leave for good at the time of passing.

That doctor is a moron.

exactly that.

just because we are deaf it does not mean the world is harder, it just means adjustments have to be made.

Honestly I am a hearing person and I always felt bad when I seen a blind or deaf person because I would think "how can this person do this and that" but since I have been learning more and more about the deaf culture , being deaf just means adjustments have to be made.

Yes, it's has its challenges. Now, with the ever-growing technology that we have today, it's easier for the Deaf to adjust & live like anyone else.

Yes adjustments just simply have to be made. And plus well, at least in my experience you have to be realistic on what your options are.

I know there's the old adage "you can do anything you set your mind to" but let's face it I'm not going to be a musician or a telemarketer.

So instead, I figure out ways so that being deaf can be an advantage, for example, I work as a software programmer and because of this I can concentrate when creating applications. I don't get distracted by noise and conversation in the office.

But one thing I find kind of funny is when I make friends and introduce them the various technologies I use they like it so much some of them use it. One example is closed captioning on the TV. When I'd watch movies with family and friends they actually liked the captioning so much that they left it on even when I wasn't watching TV.

Another example is text messaging, I had a friend who made voice phone calls all the time but ever since I showed him text messaging he liked it so much that he ended up doing almost all text messages instead of voice calls.

And as for hardships and all, even though I do have hearing aids they aren't 100% and believe it or not I usually prefer NOT wearing hearing aids, the silence is quite comforting. This is especially an advantage when I sleep.

If you want to really understand deaf culture and life there are quite a few books on case studies of deaf children and adults.

adjustments have be made for everyone just deaf know what..i both deaf and thick as a plank so i adjust myself..got be realistic..My opinion same as nihilist also with hearing aids and nights sleep when I lucky enough get one.
AS for dr in uk dr gets extra pay when someone got have extra attention but most brits do not know that, so dr can sodding well give me his time and attention and I expect not unsimilar in US

just add not all doctors do that some have kind heart and don't want hassle filling forms out

Everyone fights their personal battles ... and no two are the same...and they are are hard for the person...

Suddenly, you're blind in one day. It would be HARD you ever experience.

In general speaking, no they aren't any difference.

Even those who can hear can have their own battle that MIGHT be far worse than us, and we need to be grateful for that, and we need to be nice to them regardless.

Back