Interesting Wifi SSID

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I finally arrived at the beach house and I pulled out my laptop/tablet and open my wifi connection and all of sudden I find a interesting name...

Virus

Mmmm, why the world they want to call this SSID "Virus", Well I guess it keep the hacker away....

I've seen one called "FBI Surveillance." Since it's at a coffee house, it can't be the house's network. It has to be a network for a tablet or a computer, and I look around. Can't tell who it is...

mine is called Fight Club

It's a prank to name a WiFi network to scare nosey neighbors.

I named my WiFi network 'Phantom Network'.

Mine is CCCP so no hackers want to mess with KGB Agent (me) :P

Seen plenty, one of them I know who it belongs to.... "Network Not Found" LOL!

There's one in my list called festivus lol. Also see one that's open- I wish I knew who that one is so I can tell them to lock it down...:(.

Not gonna mention mine lol.

Well there's one that got me really angry. I was a former Sorenson Installer/Tech and I visited one client to set up her first time using VP and I had to get in her router to set up DMZ and I happen to noticed the SSID name was "N" word. I was sooo pissed off of someone change that name. I know the client (she's African American) wouldn't do it cuz she has no knowledge about computer. So I asked her if she had any Comcast Tech ever came in recently or who would've done it? Then I realized that the router default password is easily hacked into it and change the wifi name. You know anybody within the apartments can get into it. I can't say blaming on Comcast tech, you know?
So I immediately change both the SSID and router password. I'm sure people living in the apartments got angry and trying to hunt down and for sure this client have no idea what going on outside of it. You know it's hard to pin point which router cuz there are 25 SSID show up within the range.

So I immediately change both the SSID and router password. I'm sure people living in the apartments got angry and trying to hunt down and for sure this client have no idea what going on outside of it. You know it's hard to pin point which router cuz there are 25 SSID show up within the range.

That is hilarious! You kicked people off the FREE network, and now, everyone else has to have their own account!

My mobile hotspot (since we have no other Internet access out here in the country without going to satellite) is configured to only let my computer get in and no one else. And the password to get in is VERY LONG and only makes sense to someone in a very specific industry.

That is hilarious! You kicked people off the FREE network, and now, everyone else has to have their own account!

My mobile hotspot (since we have no other Internet access out here in the country without going to satellite) is configured to only let my computer get in and no one else. And the password to get in is VERY LONG and only makes sense to someone in a very specific industry.

I'm not talking about getting free internet. Using "N" word on SSID is not funny. Good thing I caught it and change it.

When I looked for wifi on my old iPhone 4 in NYC a few years ago, one of the SSID names caught my attention...

Infected *****.

:laugh2:

Well there's one that got me really angry. I was a former Sorenson Installer/Tech and I visited one client to set up her first time using VP and I had to get in her router to set up DMZ and I happen to noticed the SSID name was "N" word. I was sooo pissed off of someone change that name. I know the client (she's African American) wouldn't do it cuz she has no knowledge about computer. So I asked her if she had any Comcast Tech ever came in recently or who would've done it? Then I realized that the router default password is easily hacked into it and change the wifi name. You know anybody within the apartments can get into it. I can't say blaming on Comcast tech, you know?

Oh, damn. I am glad that you changed SSID name and router password, so other people can not hack into her WIFI router. Uncool.

Other SSID names I've seen on the list on my iMac:

Flying Spaghetti Monster
Viking Salad
Ranal Ape

Yes! Flying Spaghetti Monster! You might try one of their passwords from the books on the topic to see if you can get in.

I wish I could see others' names. It would be interesting to see what they name them. The only one I ever see is mine. I live too remote to pick up anyone else's signal.

No interesting names in my neighborhood. Most people seem to be using their router's default brand names or their own family last names. (Not me.)

There is a police sergent by my old house, his was named FBI Safehouse. I named mine Mafia

How do you guys rename yours? Mine is just what the ISP provided me with.

Back