First appointment

LuciaDisturbed

Reaction score
I have my first appointment on Sept 5th to see about getting CIs. What should I expect, and are there questions that I should be asking?

Damn, I'm anxious! :hyper:

No anti-CI bullshit, please.

are there questions that I should be asking?
Ask if you think the audi thinks maybe there might be other options that might serve you a little better. Not being anti-CI.......but I do think that the gross majority of potentional implantees should experiment with things like body worn aids and those high frequncy transponder things BEFORE. I say that b/c of my own experiance. I know I don't have a severe or profound loss, but I can remember back in jr high switching from BTEs to ITEs. While wearing the BTEs, I thought I could hear........and I could......but not as well as with my BTEs. If you're just looking for an increase in your spoken word reception, please experiment with alternatives FIRST......

Oh really! That's your choice. I would not want to get a CI for a reason. I enjoy being deaf.... Do you have any insurance that cover CIs?

Good luck, Disturbedgirl :)

... worn aids and those high frequncy transponder things BEFORE......

What is high frequency transponder , deafdyke ?

To me, I will be experiencing digitals on monday :cool: . I dislike my analog aid. I want to hear from both sides so I would like to get two digital hearing aids.

Yes, CI must be the last choice , I suppose.. because it requires to 'kill' all the residual hearing of a person with hearing loss. Really a serious issue.

Ask if you think the audi thinks maybe there might be other options that might serve you a little better. Not being anti-CI.......but I do think that the gross majority of potentional implantees should experiment with things like body worn aids and those high frequncy transponder things BEFORE. I say that b/c of my own experiance. I know I don't have a severe or profound loss, but I can remember back in jr high switching from BTEs to ITEs. While wearing the BTEs, I thought I could hear........and I could......but not as well as with my BTEs. If you're just looking for an increase in your spoken word reception, please experiment with alternatives FIRST......

I wore HAs up til I was 10 or so, and then I no longer had enough hearing to benefit from HAs anymore. I was told I could get CIs when I was around 10, but we never went through with it because my dad did not want to pursue it, saying he didn't want to shell out the money for it (he does have the money). I dunno what high frequency transponder things are...my hearing loss is VERY profound now, I have not heard a sound since my last year of high school.

I know you mean well, and thank you. I like that you can discuss this subject in a mature way, so I do appreciate it. :)

I wore HAs up til I was 10 or so, and then I no longer had enough hearing to benefit from HAs anymore. I was told I could get CIs when I was around 10, but we never went through with it because my dad did not want to pursue it, saying he didn't want to shell out the money for it (he does have the money). I dunno what high frequency transponder things are...my hearing loss is VERY profound now, I have not heard a sound since my last year of high school.

I know you mean well, and thank you. I like that you can discuss this subject in a mature way, so I do appreciate it. :)

True, I agree with you.

Good luck, Disturbedgirl :)

Yes, CI must be the last choice , I suppose.. because it requires to 'kill' all the residual hearing of a person with hearing loss. Really a serious issue.

Thanks!

I have basically no hearing left at all now, so it won't really matter, I really have nothing to lose.

I have my first appointment on Sept 5th to see about getting CIs. What should I expect, and are there questions that I should be asking?

Wow.. thats what you always want CI... I wish you bestest luck..
SxyPorkie

I wish you the best, Lucia. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions that intelligently, but I hope it goes well for you.

:)

For 1st appt you'll have hearing tests. I am not sure what else. I don't remember! It has been while since I had the tests! OH GOSH! I am sure you'll be just fine! :) also they'll set up an appt for cat scan to check your cochelar and see if it is ok to get CI or not. Then after that I think 3 or 4 appt before surgery. SOOOO GOOD LUCK!!!

For 1st appt you'll have hearing tests. I am not sure what else. I don't remember! It has been while since I had the tests! OH GOSH! I am sure you'll be just fine! :) also they'll set up an appt for cat scan to check your cochelar and see if it is ok to get CI or not. Then after that I think 3 or 4 appt before surgery. SOOOO GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks LakeTahoe. I already have an audiogram from my audie from a couple months ago, I guess I should bring it...

Ya can but they'll give you test such as listen to speech, sound etc. I hated it when they gave me test when I have to LISTEN to a MAN voice. BOY! It was HARD to understand. But I did well though.

Thanks LakeTahoe. I already have an audiogram from my audie from a couple months ago, I guess I should bring it...

All the best to you on this journey, Lucia....are you wanting 2 of them like you said in your initial post?

All the best to you on this journey, Lucia....are you wanting 2 of them like you said in your initial post?

Thanks!

I do want 2 but I highly doubt that Medicare and Medicaid will cover 2...I will see if I can find out at my appointment. If I can only have 1 I will accept that. :)

Thanks!

I do want 2 but I highly doubt that Medicare and Medicaid will cover 2...I will see if I can find out at my appointment. If I can only have 1 I will accept that. :)

Yeah, if'n ya kin git two, well, then, I reckon y'all have stereo! LOL!

What is high frequency transponder
They are hearing aids that somehow only amplfy the high frequncies....not really sure how they do it, and I don't have too much info on it....just heard about it a few years ago.
Lucia........do you have a progressive loss? Were you able to hear well (ie some speech) with hearing aids when you had them?
I'd definitly go for it..........CIs are supposed to be very very very good for those with progressive loss.
And yeah, you'll only get one CI for now, if you're depending on public funding. There's very little evidence that a second CI really improves things all that much (basicly just localizing sound and better hearing in noise)

They are hearing aids that somehow only amplfy the high frequncies....not really sure how they do it, and I don't have too much info on it....just heard about it a few years ago.
Lucia........do you have a progressive loss? Were you able to hear well (ie some speech) with hearing aids when you had them?
I'd definitly go for it..........CIs are supposed to be very very very good for those with progressive loss.
And yeah, you'll only get one CI for now, if you're depending on public funding. There's very little evidence that a second CI really improves things all that much (basicly just localizing sound and better hearing in noise)

Well I don't think the high frequency transponder will work for me. I think my loss was progressive, because I was wearing hearing aids up until I was 10 years old.

Back