Ear mold smell

ClearSky,

As far as I've been told, my earmolds never created feedback.

I've heard of earmolds shrinking, but that never happened to me.

I guess I've been lucky...

Yes, you are extremely lucky! I had to have new earmolds once a year because of the feedbacks. I know I should have it done sooner but I was trying to stretch it to save $$. Maybe I should try Lucite next time. I don't remember what mine are.

I have no problem telling you! We think there was some how latex, or something else I am allergic to in the molds. I was fine at first but after having them for 3 days they were feeling tighter and tighter. Then...I couldn't get them out of my ears and my ears swelled shut around the molds, and my face swelled shut around my ears. Then I went to the hospital.

Now I have new earmolds now that I am not allergic to but I can only use one material from one manufacturer. It's a little annoying.

I didn't know that there are latex in earmolds.

Yes, you are extremely lucky! I had to have new earmolds once a year because of the feedbacks. I know I should have it done sooner but I was trying to stretch it to save $$. Maybe I should try Lucite next time. I don't remember what mine are.

Buffalo,

Yes, I've always worn Lucite hard earmolds, so I've become quite used to them. They've always felt comfortable to me -- more comfortable in fact than "Patriot" earmolds which are extremely painful to insert and remove -- not to mention the fact that they keep sliding out of my ears. Several months before I received my CI, I wanted to get a new earmold for my BTE CI speech processors, but unfortunately, I couldn't find a local audi who ordered Lucite earmolds. I ended up having to go to the audi who fitted me with my first pair of hearing aids back in 1985. Thank goodness she was available otherwise I don't know how I would have been able to receive new earmolds.

I know what you mean about trying to save money. Normally it costs $50/earmold, but my audi (the one who fitted me with my first pair of aids) was nice enough not to charge me. I'm thankful for that because I was living on a pretty limited income at the time.

Buffalo,

Yes, I've always worn Lucite hard earmolds, so I've become quite used to them. They've always felt comfortable to me -- more comfortable in fact than "Patriot" earmolds which are extremely painful to insert and remove -- not to mention the fact that they keep sliding out of my ears. Several months before I received my CI, I wanted to get a new earmold for my BTE CI speech processors, but unfortunately, I couldn't find a local audi who ordered Lucite earmolds. I ended up having to go to the audi who fitted me with my first pair of hearing aids back in 1985. Thank goodness she was available otherwise I don't know how I would have been able to receive new earmolds.

I know what you mean about trying to save money. Normally it costs $50/earmold, but my audi (the one who fitted me with my first pair of aids) was nice enough not to charge me. I'm thankful for that because I was living on a pretty limited income at the time.

I won't mind wearing those hard molds as long as the ear canal parts are short. My earmolds almost alway have long canal parts and they are almost touching my eardrums. I don't like that as a ball could have landed on my ear and that would be very painful.

I won't mind wearing those hard molds as long as the ear canal parts are short. My earmolds almost alway have long canal parts and they are almost touching my eardrums. I don't like that as a ball could have landed on my ear and that would be very painful.

If you decide to get Lucite earmolds and find that the canal part is a little too long, you can always have your audi file it down. That's what I had my audi do and it worked perfectly. She just filed it down a little at a time so we didn't have to worry about filing down too much and having to get new earmold impressions as a result.

:topic: about allergy earmold. Please stay on topic "Earmold smell"

Yes, My earmold smell odor after I pull it out. I use alcohol wipe on my earmolds. I put in dry store. It's not smell at all.

Back