wonder about snow/icy

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Do anyone of you know about CAR, ( not SUV or Truck) due to the price.

Is there any good car that handles snow and icy and under 18K???

If SUV costs under 18K then tell me anyway.

Thanks

:wave:FF -

My hub is very technical and good with cars and works on cars. I asked him if he knows-

See if AAA has a web site you could use , they test cars to see how they perform in all kind of weathers .

No im not a member of AAA. i have been looking at the customer reports and others. I also like to hear from LIVE people who can share the thoughts too. I just asked my nephew about it.. Wait and see. I need to be prepared for buying a car in the NEAR future. :(

Good luck in driving in that "bumper car" weather!...dunno which is worse...snowy, icy roads in the Northeast...or road rage in the
Southeast....

Winter tires are the most important thing. They need to be a soft compound, agressive tread, siped and studded if legal where you live. Just don't run them in the summer as the soft compound will wear fast.

Dodge Journey. It's a reasonably priced crossover.

We considered it but went with the Nissan Cube because it was better for loading a wheelchair.

Dodge Journey. It's a reasonably priced crossover.

We considered it but went with the Nissan Cube because it was better for loading a wheelchair.

Thank you. I will check into it and look more cars in case. My tiny suv is 11 yrs old. It's been ok but the signal lights often turn on and they checked nothing wrong with it. Ahhhhhh. I hope my tiny sun stays alive more than 10 yrs. ha

Hope your car works well with Nissan

Thank you. I will check into it and look more cars in case. My tiny suv is 11 yrs old. It's been ok but the signal lights often turn on and they checked nothing wrong with it. Ahhhhhh. I hope my tiny sun stays alive more than 10 yrs. ha

Hope your car works well with Nissan

We love the Nissan, but it isn't considered a great car for snow.

Do anyone of you know about CAR, ( not SUV or Truck) due to the price.

Is there any good car that handles snow and icy and under 18K???

If SUV costs under 18K then tell me anyway.

Thanks

Subaru!

Subaru Impreza. I had Subaru for almost 11 years and no problem with heavy snow. Also Subaru are much cheaper than mostly SUV for tires. :) Impreza is almost $18k for brand new.

No wonder Subaru Impreza is great for WRC (Off-road racing)
subaru_impreza_wrc_2005_large_24282.jpg

:wave:My hub had the same thought! - Subaru - this is what he wrote-

"I recommend looking at Subaru. If it has to be a brand new vehicle, consider the Impreza. It will be near or at the 18K limit. If used, then consider the Subaru Legacy. I am suggesting Subaru because their sedans are all AWD, and because of the budget criteria. Subaru is one of, if not the only manufacturer making sedans with AWD. People I know who have Subarus seem to be quite satisfied with them.

If a used vehicle is an option, then of course, you may wish to consider a few more miles with some additional features. If a used SUV is on the table, then - Toyota RAV, Honda CR-V, etc. If you buy used, look for 'Certified'. I am familiar with the Honda 'certified used' program, and you can often get a vehicle with a better warranty this way than you'd get with a new Honda."

I dunno -- I find that any mid size cars that has 6 cyl when equipped with snow tires are great in snow. just dont get any sports models as the tires are really wide and lower to ground. my sis bought a rav 4 for snow purposes and towing a popup in the hills in the next town as you.

if subaru costs under 18K i will go for it. I always like subaru. if so, i ll look into it.

I prefer brand, than used car. so i will keep my eyes on cars to be prepared. Thanks!

I dunno -- I find that any mid size cars that has 6 cyl when equipped with snow tires are great in snow. just dont get any sports models as the tires are really wide and lower to ground. my sis bought a rav 4 for snow purposes and towing a popup in the hills in the next town as you.

can you tell me what kind of car for mid size cars that handles in the snow and gas and under 18k. :D

can you tell me what kind of car for mid size cars that handles in the snow and gas and under 18k. :D

New? cant tell ya. but you can get decent late model cars for under 15k. I'm kinda partial to chevy malibus.

If you are looking specifically at cars and not a 4x4 SUV or truck then make sure the car is front wheel drive or all wheel drive. You'll just sit and spin in a rear wheel drive car in snow or ice.

if subaru costs under 18K i will go for it. I always like subaru. if so, i ll look into it.

I prefer brand, than used car. so i will keep my eyes on cars to be prepared. Thanks!

Impreza only gets 21-28 mpg. All wheel drive sucks gas and unless you know how to drift it dosn't help handling and does nothing for braking. Corolla gets 30-42mpg. snow tires will make what ever car you want handle, accelerate and brake in bad conditions.

Also, in general, SUVs do not handle well in any conditions. Unless you are talking about deep snow on unplowed roads.

I have the Honda CR-V but we bought it brand new 2 weeks ago for 30k, so maybe a used one for you? It is supposed to be very good with snow and ice. It is actually the 2015 SUV of the year, but it's not why we bought it. Because we live out in the country now.

Depend what type of engine. In fact, I own Impreza for 11 years and no problem with almost 1 foot of snow so far and it's only 2.5L 4 cylinders. Also my wife own SUV with 2.0L 4 cylinders and it's AWD and no problem with heavy snow so far. I don't see why needs 6 cylinders for family or daily works. . I6 cylinders are just good for speed OR towing trailer and pushing snowplow.

If you are looking specifically at cars and not a 4x4 SUV or truck then make sure the car is front wheel drive or all wheel drive. You'll just sit and spin in a rear wheel drive car in snow or ice.

FWD still suck for deep snow and no problem with AWD for small car. I was there before.

Impreza only gets 21-28 mpg. All wheel drive sucks gas and unless you know how to drift it dosn't help handling and does nothing for braking. Corolla gets 30-42mpg. snow tires will make what ever car you want handle, accelerate and brake in bad conditions.

Also, in general, SUVs do not handle well in any conditions. Unless you are talking about deep snow on unplowed roads.

You thinking of old Impreza. Newer Impreza is 37 hwy and 28 city mpg. Did you know that AWD and FWD are only 1-3 MPG difference? It's all depends on engine/transmission/differential.

Back