What Happens to Your Debt After You Die?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The repayment rules for credit cards, mortgages and other loans

Many families worry that the death of a loved one will mean that his or her debts will then become the legal responsibility of the surviving relatives. But that isn’t necessarily the case.

Below, answers to key questions that you may have about who will and won't be on the hook for any debt you owe — mortgages, home equity lines, car loans, credit cards, student loans and the like — after your death.

If I die with debt, will my family owe it?

That depends. There are certain circumstances in which your family would have to pay the debt, but unless you fall into one of those scenarios (which will be discussed in a moment), they won’t have a legal obligation to do so.

What happens to my debt when I die?

Generally, the estate owes the debt. If there are enough assets to cover the outstanding debts, the executor (the person who orchestrates the probate process and is in charge of paying the creditors) must sell them to pay the creditors who file a claim on you.

But if there isn’t enough money in the estate to pay the debt, then the debt typically dies as well. Creditors must then write off the remaining unpaid debts.

Is anything safe from debt collectors looking for money to be repaid?

Is anything safe from debt collectors looking for money to be repaid?

In most cases, accounts with beneficiaries such as IRAs, 401(k)s, brokerage accounts, insurance and employer-based pension plans won’t go through probate, so they won’t be tapped to pay your debts.

However, laws regarding what’s safe from debt collectors during probate vary from state to state. Talk with a lawyer to learn the rules in your state.

Will my surviving spouse be responsible for our home mortgage after I die?

Due to a 1982 federal law, surviving spouses can take over a mortgage on a home without having to immediately pay the remaining balance in full.

Note: if your spouse plans to take over the mortgage, he or she will need to show creditworthiness and the financial capability to keep up with payments.

What about a home equity line of credit?

Typically the executor will try to pay down a home equity line during probate, which may involve selling the house.

If you and your husband or wife filed for this line of credit together, though, your surviving spouse will most likely need to refinance and prove an ability to make the payments. Otherwise, the lender could cancel or freeze the loan or foreclose on the home to pay for it.

This process may vary according to which state you live in, so consult a local attorney.

What about other debt, such as credit cards, student loans and auto loans?

If you die and have credit cards, student loans, or auto loans in your name only, the remaining balances will be paid through probate.

However, if your spouse co-signed any of these, he or she will be legally responsible for repaying the debt.

Merely authorized users on credit cards won’t be responsible for unpaid charges and interest, though, since they don’t carry the financial liability a co-signer does. The cardholder’s death might, however, lead to problems for an authorized user; this Daily Finance article noted the case of a man whose credit rating was damaged when creditors reported to credit agencies unpaid debts related to his late mother’s account where he was an authorized user.

Community Property Laws

Now here’s the big caveat to all of this: 10 states have community property laws that could significantly affect your spouse after your death: Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin (In Alaska, this is the case only if couples opt in).

Under community property laws, any assets and debts that one spouse acquires after the start of a marriage belongs to the other as well. For example, if you open a credit card only in your name once you’re married and die without paying it off, your spouse will be legally responsible for paying the remaining balance in a community property state.

Debt Collectors After Your Death

Unfortunately, after you die, unscrupulous debt collectors may decide to pursue your spouse for your unpaid debts. Surviving spouses may get calls saying the debt should be repaid for moral reasons, with the debt collector trying to guilt him or her into paying.

A few years ago, The New York Times cited the case of one debt collection firm that put relatives in touch with grief counselors, thinking descendants would be more likely to pay the money after receiving emotional help.

Unless there’s truly a legal basis for contacting a survivor, though, your former spouse shouldn’t be intimidated if a debt collector calls. Instead, he or she should write a letter (sent by certified mail, asking for a return receipt) to that company clearly stating that they don’t wish to be contacted again.

http://www.nextavenue.org/article/2015-01/what-happens-your-debt-after-you-die

What is someone dies and has no family or money to pay to be buried does the state still pay for this? .

Here in my City there are several cemetery's for the poor, and they are buried free.

My state has unclaimed Dead and they go that way for months but do get buried . The families don't want to pay for the funeral . It should not cost so much many to die, Damn some people can't afforded to live or die. :( A dog would get buried faster than a poor person.

I'm sure every city has unclaimed deaths...such as "Jane Doe"....and Social Security pays $350.00 towards your funeral costs...and cremation is cheaper....

As far as having debts, feel it's best, and most people do try to pay off their debts and not leaving the family with a burden. That's how I feel about it....and putting aside something each month for however way you want to be buried.....

I agree that is why I have no unpaid debts , I don't want my daughter getting stuck with them . That is not right. I made it clear I want to be cremated and to buy the cheapest coffin , I don't care if it been used already . I don't want a lot of money wasted on me when I dead . That is so insane , I am not going to know the difference . If my family want to spend money they can put in in my name to help abused women and children or animals.

Well, it would be a waste of $$ to put your ashes in a coffin...there are Urn's for that.....

I was told you had to buy a coffin to be cremated when I called up a funeral home. I was like :shock: , I was told that was how you got cremated .

I will try calling some more funeral homes and see what they say.

I was reading up on this people would buy or rent a coffin viewing but being Jewish we don't have an open coffin. But I do need to have some thing to put my body into when being cremated . I told my daughter she could just put my body in a w/c and take it a mountain side and say OOPS !

Well, it would be a waste of $$ to put your ashes in a coffin...there are Urn's for that.....

I rented a coffin for my husband as I wanted his body at the funeral Mass. After the Mass, he was cremated and put into a box. The box is now in my burial plot.

There was a couple deaths in the family where we rented a coffin for calling hours and then cremated body afterwards and put in a urn until the plot was approved. When you serve in the military, some people can be buried for free but if you dont do this in advance, it takes time for approval.

Here in my City there are several cemetery's for the poor, and they are buried free.

I think they are called paupers' graves....at least that was the original meaning of the word....a section of a cemetery set aside for such folks.....and usually paid for by the county or city.....

There was a couple deaths in the family where we rented a coffin for calling hours and then cremated body afterwards and put in a urn until the plot was approved. When you serve in the military, some people can be buried for free but if you dont do this in advance, it takes time for approval.

Will I am going to save money b/c I do not want any calling hours ,you have to pay for that too.

if you study death and dying, there are sections of it covering this aspect, wills, cemetery, by laws, traditions, even how insurance and funerals are paid for....really interesting....but so bewildering, truth be told here, I'd hate to live in the USA with all this nonsense of all this money grubbing businesses floating around its really poor in morale, i mean deaths of people shouldn't even be in any sense to be made profitable, its applauding.

but then again, it's not the united states, it is the 'American style' as they call it...so it can't be argued as it doesnt happen just 'here' (for USA)...anyway...it kind of shows how society has become so 'desperate' for any means of extracting any tiniest amount of 'fiscal' for capitalisation.....

on other subject of 'death' large headstones or tombs (have had long history), it is more about 'immortalising' powerful people's influence on society....to endure their legacy, or even legendarily aspect of their stories from the time they lived....
people have weird ideas of power and influence....it is extremely toxic....or well ....for the living' in society they feel the fear of 'loss of order' so they put up a sort of monuments, to assure themselves of order to be 'restored'.....as a kind of reminiscing the dream...and on the other hand....it reminds the ruled....poorer people - that there is still power to be respected and to 'know their place' of society' (read: pertaining the order)

so funerals, are not only for the dead, it is for the living also...and wills and debts as the OP suggested...is 'left in the open' to exploitation.....

my suggestion?
is
find a good place/state where by laws/state laws doesn't force foreclosure to your legacy, next of kin, family etc....but if you're a loner and don't care then don't care...
all sort of funny values floats about as does all sort of funny people holding perplexing values of insurmountable combinations

My mom last wish was to be buried wearing a red dress so my daughter and I went out to buy her one and when my beloved mother dies the Rabbi told us she can't wear a red dress she had to have on a white shroud . We were told the red dress would be put in the coffin and she could put it on when got to heaven . I was like yeah right. I agree it's appalling how 'death ' is a huge money scheme . I was very appalled by the big show my friend father put on his daughter when she die. The SOB treated nicer when she was dead so people would think what a wonderful father he was . :mad:

Last edited:
(Appalling, not applauding.)

I like to read gravestone engravings. The older ones especially are interesting and provide genealogical and historical information for common people.

(Appalling, not applauding.)

I like to read gravestone engravings. The older ones especially are interesting and provide genealogical and historical information for common people.

I thought it was Appalling but with my poor spelling I thought other person was a better as spelling that me. We have a grave yard with very old headstones dating back the 1800's
but you have to be careful walking in there b/c the ground is giving away , headstones are stinking into the ground.

ok thanks for correction, at least id try remember that difference....its not clapping in pleasure.....its more to do with disgust......

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this information here. I'm sure many people will find this very interesting. Well, I would like to share something about this. I hope you find this very interesting. There's big money in zombies and the zombie apocalypse. Credit George Romero, “Resident Evil,” “The Walking Dead” and a number of other popular culture sources for that phenomenon. But the business of zombies and zombie tradition isn't really all fun and games. There's a darker side to “zombies” involving mind control narcotics, kidnapping, extortion and mind-numbing weapons technology that's sure to give even the most suspicious individuals a scare.

That's what life insurance is for. It cover on funeral cost, cover the debt to whom you shall trust with, mostly to spouse.

Back