VP Debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrdie714

Reaction score
Thoughts?

Thought Biden did well overall and he was brilliant on some issues. Palin may say she is all about straight talk, but she avoided talking about certain subjects and that was not impressive to me.

I thought that Biden was easier to listen to. At times I got tired or bored listening to Sarah Palin. Sometimes she doesn't seem to the point and say a lot of words. I really tried to listen to both of them.

I thought it was impressive that both candidates talked to each other and met the family. Did you notice this didn't happen between McCain and Obama? I am disgusted.

More troops for the war? Isn't that more money? I really don't want to support the ongoing war.

She mentioned, "maverick," "hockey mom," "drill." I kind of laughed when Biden took over the "maverick" thing and told her off. Really, by that time I was annoyed to keep hearing "maverick." I know it's to attract the republican supporters.

I thought that Biden was easier to listen to. At times I got tired or bored listening to Sarah Palin. Sometimes she doesn't seem to the point and say a lot of words. I really tried to listen to both of them.

I thought it was impressive that both candidates talked to each other and met the family. Did you notice this didn't happen between McCain and Obama? I am disgusted.

More troops for the war? Isn't that more money? I really don't want to support the ongoing war.

She mentioned, "maverick," "hockey mom," "drill." I kind of laughed when Biden took over the "maverick" thing and told her off. Really, by that time I was annoyed to keep hearing "maverick." I know it's to attract the republican supporters.

Agreed on every point.

Biden wanted an exit strategy on the war. He made an excellent point about Iraqi having the money, anyway. His point was similar to teaching a person to fish, he has food for a lifetime.. compared to keep giving the person fish everyday to eat. We clearly don't have the resources to keep up with the war in Iraq indefinitely, and we already have other countries like Pakistan, Iran and Afghistan (sp?) to worry about.

Agreed on every point.

Biden wanted an exit strategy on the war. He made an excellent point about Iraqi having the money, anyway. His point was similar to teaching a person to fish, he has food for a lifetime.. compared to keep giving the person fish everyday to eat. We clearly don't have the resources to keep up with the war in Iraq indefinitely, and we already have other countries like Pakistan, Iran and Afghistan (sp?) to worry about.

Yes, and it brought me another point that they asked about environmental problems. Palin made me sort of flabbergasted that she said that man is not much responsible for the environmental issues. True, some things are natural planet changes, then she mentions how she wants other countries to help out in order to help America. I was thinking, "Quit thinking about other countries, focus on what you can help with in America first!" Going to other countries and bringing more responsibilities distracts us from our duties in America. Let other countries take care of themsleves some. Grrr!!

I missed it when I got home. But I felt blessed that CNN did re-run of the debate so I was able to watch it wholly. I just finished watching it so I want to share my thought with you.

I declare that Biden won the debate since he was able to repeatedly emphasize economic woes on the Bush Administration and its economic policy that McCain supported largely. Economy is the no. 1 issue in the Presidential election campaign according to many polls. I am telling you that the exit polls will point to economy as the voters' main concern on November 4th, so I think Obama Barack has an excellent chance to be elected as the 44th President of the United States of America.

Palin did much better in the debate than I expected. Her character was so different from McCain because it was a small town folksy. This kind of character was comfortable with main street people. I think it is a great learning experience for Palin to have a debate with an astute and experienced debater such as Biden. She clearly had en edge over Biden in energy due to her extensive experience in energy issue, but I have to emphasize that economy, not energy, is no. 1 issue of the voters.

I have watched many Presidential and Vice-Presidential debates on TV since I got addicted with U.S. politics. Something different happened at end of the debate tonight. It is real nice to see the Palin and Biden families mingle for about ten minutes, maybe bit longer. In the past presidential and vice-president debates, the families of opposite candidates tend to mingle for a few minutes only before they leave apart.

Finally, I think Gwen Ifill did a real good job as a moderator so my concerns were put to rest. :)

I was shocked when Palin said she said something about women's right. Thank America for freedom and women's right, she said. Yeah right.

Wow, I missed everything, oh wait, it wasn't good as the President debate? Poor sportmanship. That lady talks too much, I hope she doesn't talk us to death.

i wanted to watch but college life doesnt always allow such freedom :'( nice to hear your inputs. i did hear a lot about palin not being able to efficiently answer questions.

Well, I don't think she made any huge gaffes that actually did untold damage, but by the same token, she didn't provide anything that could be considered advantgeous, either. She obviously had been well groomed over the past several days. Unfortunately, she responded as such...simply giving answers she had been groomed to give without any thought.

She failed to answer several pertinent questions, always attempting to bring things back to those answers she had been groomed to give.

And what the hell was up with all that winking? I found it offensive and an obvious attempt to throw flirtations into what should have been an intellectual arena.

And asking for a "shout out" to her brother? Jeeze! That's something you request on a Friday night a.m. radio program when you are 13 years old, not something you say in a political debate!

I was shocked when Palin said she said something about women's right. Thank America for freedom and women's right, she said. Yeah right.

Exactly. Her position tramples all over women's rights.

Well, I don't think she made any huge gaffes that actually did untold damage, but by the same token, she didn't provide anything that could be considered advantgeous, either. She obviously had been well groomed over the past several days. Unfortunately, she responded as such...simply giving answers she had been groomed to give without any thought.

She failed to answer several pertinent questions, always attempting to bring things back to those answers she had been groomed to give.

And what the hell was up with all that winking? I found it offensive and an obvious attempt to throw flirtations into what should have been an intellectual arena.

And asking for a "shout out" to her brother? Jeeze! That's something you request on a Friday night a.m. radio program when you are 13 years old, not something you say in a political debate!

My thoughts exactly! I do have to admit that in coming into this debate, I had very low expectations of Palin, but she performed much better than I expected. Again, this was probaby due to the preparations she had over the past several days. One comment I found amusing was when Chris Matthews of MSNBC (host of "Hardball") said that Palin "sounded like a spelling bee contestant" spurting out her responses. I agree -- many of her answers just didn't sound natural -- they sounded scripted and there were a few times where the flow of her speech seemed to be off-track (giving the indication that her answers were memorized). The only things I didn't like about the debate was Palin's avoidance of several questions, diverting attention to the issue of energy when that clearly wasn't the question being asked, the "shout out" (who does THAT in a debate -- very unprofessional IMO) and comments about being filtered by the media. Now that the debate is over, I'll be *very* curious to see how she continues to handle media questions in one-on-one interviews. :popcorn: Out of curiosity, I watched Fox News following the debate and it sounded as if some Conservatives were 'relieved' with Palin's performance almost to the point where they were surprised that she did so well. I wonder if expectations for Palin were set so low that it would have been impossible for her to fail? If Palin had not been prepped the way she had been, I doubt she would have come through this debate as well as she did.

My thoughts exactly! I do have to admit that in coming into this debate, I had very low expectations of Palin, but she performed much better than I expected. Again, this was probaby due to the preparations she had over the past several days. One comment I found amusing was when Chris Matthews of MSNBC (host of "Hardball") said that Palin "sounded like a spelling bee contestant" spurting out her responses. I agree -- many of her answers just didn't sound natural -- they sounded scripted and there were a few times where the flow of her speech seemed to be off-track (giving the indication that her answers were memorized). The only things I didn't like about the debate was Palin's avoidance of several questions, diverting attention to the issue of energy when that clearly wasn't the question being asked, the "shout out" (who does THAT in a debate -- very unprofessional IMO) and comments about being filtered by the media. Now that the debate is over, I'll be *very* curious to see how she continues to handle media questions in one-on-one interviews. :popcorn: Out of curiosity, I watched Fox News following the debate and it sounded as if some Conservatives were 'relieved' with Palin's performance almost to the point where they were surprised that she did so well. I wonder if expectations for Palin were set so low that it would have been impossible for her to fail? If Palin had not been prepped the way she had been, I doubt she would have come through this debate as well as she did.

Oh, I do think that based on past performance, everyone, liberals and conservatives alike, had lowered expectations for her performance, and that led to lowered requirements for a satisfaction rating. If you don't expect much, it doesn't take much to be satisfied. However, is she had been held to the same standards of debate that Biden was held to, would the satisfaction levels of her performance been as high? I think not.

:lol:

It was juvenile.

According to reports, it is said that 69.9 million people (the most ever) watched the debate.

I watched it on CNN where they showed the target audience reactions via the dials, and Biden was ahead of her the whole way.

I heard a CNN pundent describe how the dials worked before the debate. I wish I could have seen that for myself. I would have been curious to see how the target audience was responding to Palin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back