Question for writers! (or readers)

Hotaru

Reaction score
Hello! I posted an introduction a loooong time back but I mostly lurk. I am a writer, artist, and ASL student! Also I read a lot.

I'm wondering how people (hearing or d/Deaf) approach ASL in fiction. I know there are some writers on this forum. If a character were telling a story with classifiers, for example, would you just write the story they're telling out in English? Would you attempt to give some sense of HOW they're telling it by describing their gestures or facial expressions?

Books I've read vary in their approach. Some describe signs so much it gets a little distracting. Some just have everything written out with the tag "said" or "signed"—but honestly sometimes it's easy to confuse who is signing and who is talking aloud in that case. Can you think of any books that you thought did a really good job incorporating ASL? I am curious as to what people think! I have read a lot of fiction that includes ASL, but since I am far from fluent, I can't really tell if they do a good job with it.

I don't know if it was a good job, but the book Mystic River has two peope that sign. You can tell when they are signing but I don't remeber whta the writer did. I read this book a long time ago.

I don't know if this will be of any help but there is a book called 'Whispers' by Chrissie Keighery that is about a teenage girl who became deaf and her journey to join the world of deaf culture. The book received good reviews and the author acknowledged the help from a deaf college. It may assist you to read it and see how the author tackled the subject. All best wishes to you for finding that right balance of using ASL in fiction!

I would like to be a better writer. Your question made me realize that not all of us think about the future. Twenty years ago I would not have believed two children would be deceased, or that I would be HoH and LV (Low Vision) and live alone.

I have a story that involves a father in Europe and his child in the US. I believe I can introduce ASL using their laptops or Phablets. The father is the translator who speaks, hears and signs.

I think it would look something like this.

Father is speaking to John who is watching him use ASL to 'talk' to his daughter. .

"I just asked Sue how she feels today? She is signing back; there will be a pause before she begins to sign.... here we go, "Not so good daddy. I see doctor tomorrow."

Dad signs, "This is John. He wants to talk to you, and turns to John, "Go John!. I will sign while you talk."

"Hi Jill. I just told your dad I would help him find the things you want. Is that okay?"

John turns to dad, "What is Jill signing?"

Dad replies, Jill says: "I would like that. Thank you very much, sir."

Dad signs, "I have to go honey, I will talk to you later today. I love you."

Jill signs using "ILY" gesture and waves good-bye. .

John says, "What was that? Dad defines the hand gesture.

I think what I am trying to do is okay except for not knowing the correct terms.

I can always use a little help.

Back