Do you allow your kids use iPad?

My mom lets the grandkids use her ipad for a bit, as long as they are careful with it, and will take it away if they don't handle it properly. My nephew has the LeapPad Ultra, which is like a kiddy version of the iPad really.

My nephew likes to play the games on the ipad. The youngest nephew likes the Baby Signs apps (the one where the baby signs songs, he picks up on the signs and signs along with the baby, which is pretty cute).

None of the kids have their own ipads. Youngest nephew's parents have an ipad which he plays with from time to time (with supervision), my nephew has the leap pad ultra and my sister will give him the ipod touch to play with at times, other nephew has his own 3DS that he likes to play Mario games on. All three nephews did get their own first generation Leap Pads for Christmas a couple years ago (my mom and stepdad bought them for the boys).

yes, mine do. The schools have websites to access for homework and help. Plus the games too.

I think they are "Book Smart" but not economically smart... some kids are smart as a whip on computers but they have no idea how to make anything...either it be cooking or building/fixing anything... I know a few. My son, I am involving him with hands on with me, we cook dinner together and make things, he has fun mixing and all. The others I know, reach in the freezer, set a timer and done. wow. sadly.

That's what my husband does with our son. Have him help him cook meals.

Also, I still have him read paperback books.

He was already obsessed with building and destroying. lol

I wouldn't let kids play with iPad. It appear to be addict and can mess up on other thing such as "Hey! I didn't pay for that!". And.... I'll stick with good old book to teach kids. Therefore, they wouldn't ask "Hey, what's that? A book? lol wut?"

I don't see anything wrong with kids using iPad, provided that there's a balance of timing on using it. In a way, having an ipad for my autistic child has been a blessing. Through the ipad, he's able to pick up on his language and find any pictures that he uses to input with his wants or needs.

My friends let their grandson (about 14?) play on their iPad last week, and somehow he wiped out their address book. :dunno:

I have seen some parents ban their children (around 10 years old) to watch tv, use computer, and so on. Read read read book read read read all the times and do project like lego, puzzles, and so many hand on activities. Sometimes I feel sorry for those two brothers who are drooling of their classmates who use iPod for music/games, etc. Those boys are very intelligent, and get excellent grades at school, but still they do deserve some good devices like iPad or PS4 for entertainment purposes with reward system.

Funny thing that my kids spend their time more on ipad/video games than TV. They are too busy with school, activities, homework, friends and reading time so they have some time to use ipad. Interesting!

I have seen some parents ban their children (around 10 years old) to watch tv, use computer, and so on. Read read read book read read read all the times and do project like lego, puzzles, and so many hand on activities. Sometimes I feel sorry for those two brothers who are drooling of their classmates who use iPod for music/games, etc. Those boys are very intelligent, and get excellent grades at school, but still they do deserve some good devices like iPad or PS4 for entertainment purposes with reward system.

You sound like a smart fellow. You never had fancy device, don't you? :D

An iPads need to add a parental control for kids. I heard about a new fire kindle HD have a parental control in settings. I think it's good idea to use Kids Google Search, images, calendar, agenda for homework, and chores.

My goddaughter is not even two years old and she can type my password into my phone. I only see her once or twice a month too. Her favorite thing is to sit on my lap and we go through all my pictures. She presses the arrow on videos and with her tiny little finger scrolls from one picture to the next. I think all children have to learn how to use our electronic devices, things are different now. BUT do not use them as babysitters, bring them outside, take them on a nature walk, show them how to stop and smell the flowers.

With my own kids, they were taught how to grocery shop, do their laundry, cook, clean and be independent before they left our house.

I don't have kids, but I would let them use my iPad within reason. I wouldn't in a hindsight let them own one though.

Back