Medical question

The Op definitely needs to be a little more clear with the question. if insurance not covering hearing aids is a barrier than yes... my insurance says hearing aids are cosmetic, so they wont pay for them... not sure what you can do as a student to help any of that?

Do we have to be deaf to answer the OP? Oh wait, is deaf supposed to be a barrier? Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I've always made things work with medical needs. I'm sure there are some doctors out there that cannot be bothered by deaf patient. But they do not get my money. So I don't know who they are.

I don't know, but sometimes people only want replies from other deafies. And yeah, you're right about some doctors not wanting to deal with deaf patients. :( I thought the question was asking about deaf peoples struggles in the medical community (doctors appointments, hospital jobs, etc), and I was asking for clarification for others. But now that this person seems to be a spammer I Guess it doesn't matter.

I don't know, but sometimes people only want replies from other deafies. And yeah, you're right about some doctors not wanting to deal with deaf patients. :( I thought the question was asking about deaf peoples struggles in the medical community (doctors appointments, hospital jobs, etc), and I was asking for clarification for others. But now that this person seems to be a spammer I Guess it doesn't matter.

cayisforgetful - you don't need to explain or ask on behalf of others.

Yeah, well, that's just how I am.

I just now realized my user name has a typo on it. lol wow.

yeah well, it's kinda annoying. by doing so, you're implying deaf people need your help. If we actually did, we'd be asking for it.

I noticed you spoke on my behalf yesterday and answered someone else for me. Please don't do that anymore.

yeah well, it's kinda annoying. by doing so, you're implying deaf people need your help. If we actually did, we'd be asking for it.

I noticed you spoke on my behalf yesterday and answered someone else for me. Please don't do that anymore.

Er, I wasn't attempting to imply that at all. *I* didn't even understand what the person was asking for. Even if I'm not going to participate in threads sometimes I still like to understand what they're about (I still might read them).

I get where you're coming from though, and I am sorry.

As for the thread yesterday, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. So, sorry again.

Barriers for deaf patients in the medical world:

1. attitude from the medical staff towards deafness
2. access to communication in the lab and exam room (via notes or interpeter, whichever the patient prefers)
3. access to telecommunication (partly related to #1 above)
4. some doctors don't understand that some deaf patients have no interest in CIs
5. clarity of information and communication when discussing conditions, diagnoses, and treatment (some deaf patients have limited understanding, and some others do just fine)

Those are from top of my head at the moment.

To answer- somewhat. Barriers should be confronted by person so experiencing This advice was given over 20 years by Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto in their course: Dealing/Coping with your Hearing Loss.
Don't bluff! Be assertive. Valid for the DEAF as well.

I had a doctor that asked me a question and I misunderstood what the DR. asked me and gave him the wrong answer. The Dr. got pissed off and said if I did not answer him he was going to walk out of the room! It would be great if some Dr. would not be so full of them self and realize a HOH patient may not understood what was said , instead of the DR being a jackass. I got rid of that DR. that day!

Back